Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX wants me to jump through hoops for 3x CLI

tag
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX wants me to jump through hoops for 3x CLI

You can always explain that!

But perhaps putting such a large increase in income signaled some "fishy" business, as you previously hypothesized. It is probably not uncommon for Amex to identify misstated income by re-asking for income through this process.

Maybe another data point for the 3X CLI thread...

Also, I sort of want to see what happens if you submit tax forms with the old income and just clarify that you changed occupations...

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 11 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Amex allure has faded for me too. They refuse to give me a CLI after 2 years of PIF every month while all my other accounts have seen steady CLIs. I know a lot of people are happy with Amex so I guess my situation is not the norm. If they ever FR me I will get the BofA Cash Rewards as a replacement for the BCE since the rewards are fairly comparable.

EDIT: Stuck at $3K which was my initial CL.

Message 12 of 33
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

@FloridaState12 wrote:

And it obviously would do me no good to submit tax forms because they won't have my current wages on them, since I started this job in 2013.

Or perhaps they are really just on the fence based on your (earlier) income as stated on the application. Submitting the form ends up giving them the needed confirmation and bingo CLI. 

I respect the principal of not giving the info but you seem young and this is a good opportunity to grow with them. Highly unlikely you have anything on the form they want that is that big a deal. 

Message 13 of 33
RyVision
Valued Contributor

@scenery_guy wrote:

@FloridaState12 wrote:

And it obviously would do me no good to submit tax forms because they won't have my current wages on them, since I started this job in 2013.

Or perhaps they are really just on the fence based on your (earlier) income as stated on the application. Submitting the form ends up giving them the needed confirmation and bingo CLI. 

I respect the principal of not giving the info but you seem young and this is a good opportunity to grow with them. Highly unlikely you have anything on the form they want that is that big a deal. 

I have to agree with that as well.  It's up to you FloridaState, you can go that route or LS's on just leaving it as is and treating them right over time, they're both good advice in this situation.  It's really up to you on which you feel best fits your needs with the card.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 14 of 33
enharu
Super Contributor

this is my guess.

even though your CL at amex is low, amex probably factored in your TOTAL CL across ALL cards you have, compared to your salary.

For example, you said your income is 45k. Now, if you have 27.5k CL (50% of what you make), that obviously doesn't make any sense. Even if your CL is 1/3 of what you make in total, that might already keep a lot of banks on the fence. 

Now i am not trying to be a party pooper or anything, but I am just trying to analyze with you what possibly went wrong. You didn't list your CLs on your sig, so I really can't tell you what exactly might have been the issue.

Another reason could be your highest CL from another bank is less than what you want Amex to give you. That might have made them uneasy? 

Call and ask; that is your best solution. You can probably try to negotiate a middle ground with them as well.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 15 of 33
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

¨
@enharu wrote:

this is my guess.

even though your CL at amex is low, amex probably factored in your TOTAL CL across ALL cards you have, compared to your salary.

For example, you said your income is 45k. Now, if you have 27.5k CL (50% of what you make), that obviously doesn't make any sense. Even if your CL is 1/3 of what you make in total, that might already keep a lot of banks on the fence. 

------

from here not quote:  (sorry enharu) not sure what I did Smiley Embarassed

This could very well be the issue. Just recently had the 61 day decision myself and with the original 5K received I decided NOT to go for a 3 x CLI but simply try  2x to 10K. (already more than I needed) This got instantly approved. The reason for me to not even try to go for the 3 x CLI  is that I would much rather leave Discover a chance to maybe get it up to 5K as well. (my lowest card) There is absolutely NO need to get over 1/3 of my income in credit because I will NEVER use it anyhow.  5K on all cards would be enough for my needs....I know ..very conservative but I sleep way better not having balances on my cards.

Message 16 of 33
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

A 3X CL is obviously a big deal in percentage terms if nothing else and if I were you I would swallow my pride and take the 5 minutes to send them the info. I would serve you better than doing stuff out of spite. I would jump through a lot of hoops to have an Amex card at this point. Good luck.

Message 17 of 33
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

I'm very sorry to hear how Amex is behaving toward you. There are times I feel Amex only care to have customers that are from the upper crust of society. Its the middle class which has helped to make them the successful company that exist today.They are purposely weeding out everyone except the very financially privilage. At this rate only those making the middle six figures will be welcomed. At one time Amex was my favorite card to have in my wallet but now I'm not sure their code of conduct is worth all the effort. Hope you get it all worked out, and all the best to you.

EQ-732FICO,EX-PLUS 740,TU-725FICO
Goal 750 Across

NFCU Signature Cash Rewards Visa, Chase Freedom Visa, Wells Fargo Visa Secured
Message 18 of 33
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@MountainHiker wrote:

I'm very sorry to hear how Amex is behaving toward you. There are times I feel Amex only care to have customers that are from the upper crust of society. Its the middle class which has helped to make them the successful company that exist today.They are purposely weeding out everyone except the very financially privilage. At this rate only those making the middle six figures will be welcomed. At one time Amex was my favorite card to have in my wallet but now I'm not sure their code of conduct is worth all the effort. Hope you get it all worked out, and all the best to you.

Although I agree with the OP on not jumping through such hoops, I have to disagree with you on who Amex welcomes, MountainHiker. I'm a new Amex BCE holder and I was welcomed despite my low income. Did they give me an impressive CL? No way. But I don't need one for buying gas and groceries.

If they FRed me over a request for a $6,000 CL, I'd say no way. But they didn't stick their nose in the air and refuse to deal with me despite the fact that I'm on the low end of five figures.

Message 19 of 33
dodfire
Valued Contributor

I am new to AMEX and have not had the FR....but..I will say this. If they do FR me I will comply. I look at it like this.............. If I were to give someone thousands of dollars on loan, I would want to know every single detail about you and your financial situation. 

*8/10/13
Message 20 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.