Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX weight on FICO score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX weight on FICO score

I think the OP is asking about a sotre card versus a credit card.  Throw out the term "major." 

Yes, FICO treats them differently, though terms like "more weight" may be misleading.  FICO likes to see a mix of credit types, credit cards and store cards being two of them.  Then installment loans, mortgages, etc.

Message 11 of 23
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@natasjlp wrote:

I have heard more than once that for some reason AMEX has more weight as a CC when determining your credit score. Is there any truth to this? has anyone else heard anything about this?

I know that 'major' cc count for more than say a store card from Macys - or is that correct as well? I know it does for Experian (have a credit watch account with them and they say so). Is this also true with FICO?

The only weight it has is if your file ever has to be manually reviewed.  Customers with Amex accounts are seen as less risky than customers with Credit One or First Premier.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 12 of 23
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@webhopper wrote:

@natasjlp wrote:

I have heard more than once that for some reason AMEX has more weight as a CC when determining your credit score. Is there any truth to this? has anyone else heard anything about this?

I know that 'major' cc count for more than say a store card from Macys - or is that correct as well? I know it does for Experian (have a credit watch account with them and they say so). Is this also true with FICO?

The only weight it has is if your file ever has to be manually reviewed.  Customers with Amex accounts are seen as less risky than customers with Credit One or First Premier. 

Also the charge card is classified as Other under revolving, so it gives you a greater "mix" of credit, which positively can impact your score.

FICO 9:

Message 13 of 23
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@webhopper wrote:

Also the charge card is classified as Other under revolving, so it gives you a greater "mix" of credit, which positively can impact your score.

Really?  I hadn't heard that previously.  Would be useful if so, but what source is that information from?

        
Message 14 of 23
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

@natasjlp wrote:

I'm waiting for my AMEX to report, I'm wondering if i'll get a small increase.....

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 15 of 23
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@Revelate wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

Really?  I hadn't heard that previously.  Would be useful if so, but what source is that information from?

On a flyertalk thread from march 2012 a forum member reported a 4 pt increase on months when the charge card reported a balance and a 4 pt decline. Now he may not be using myfico to get his scores... I have seen a definite boost from adding amex to my wallet...

FICO 9:

Message 16 of 23
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@webhopper wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

On a flyertalk thread from march 2012 a forum member reported a 4 pt increase on months when the charge card reported a balance and a 4 pt decline. Now he may not be using myfico to get his scores... I have seen a definite boost from adding amex to my wallet...

It's hard to say what the boost came from though: I wouldn't have thought it would be counted as a completely seperate entry for the "mix of credit" portion than a typical national bank card.  That said charge cards are a strange animal, maybe they do have their own category but 4 points is a pretty small difference and that's difficult to attribute to any given factor without a lot more anecdotal evidence.

        
Message 17 of 23
dharalex
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I think the OP is asking about a sotre card versus a credit card.  Throw out the term "major." 

Yes, FICO treats them differently, though terms like "more weight" may be misleading.  FICO likes to see a mix of credit types, credit cards and store cards being two of them.  Then installment loans, mortgages, etc.

+1

This is what I always understood.

Starting Score: TU:676;EQ:648 8/2011
Current Score: TU:738; EQ: 739 ;EX: 729 6/2012
Goal Score: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Current Score: 800
Goal Score: 850

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 18 of 23
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@webhopper wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

@natasjlp wrote:

Sorry, this is a long-held belief, and many of us (including me) repeated it here back in the day, but the myFICO admin confirmed that it isn't true.

Credit mix means the presence of both revolving and installment accounts.

Revolving needs to have some bank cards in there, as opposed to just store-only cards. Store-only cards (no VISA, MC, etc logo, just the store) used to be called charge cards. If all you had were charge cards, which was not uncommon 20 or so years ago, it helped your mix to add revolving (bank logo like VISA, MC, AmEx, Discover) cards.

So now the store version of "charge" card has blurred into the pay-up-monthly, aka AmEx, version of "charge" card, and thus the confusion.

So:

1. If all you had were store-only cards, it would help your mix to add some bank cards.
  2. If all you had were bank cards, it would NOT help to add store cards. i.e., they're not an upgrade.
  3. Adding an American Express charge card like Zync, Green, the Golds, etc. will not add anything special to your score, other than representing an additional and presumably healthy TL (tradeline.)
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 19 of 23
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@natasjlp wrote:

ok, then it is fair to say that major cc all get same weight regardless of lender however do the major cc have more weight than store cards?? again the reason I bring this up is because with my EX account and a few other credit websites mention this as the case. 

On some older FICO scoring models, you're marked down if all your bank cards are from credit unions (including USAA, which isn't a CU, but it's kinda) or local banks. You would "need" to have a card from a national-level bank to improve your scores.

When we found this out about 4 years ago, I protested bitterly on the forums that a First Preemie card carried more weight than my $30K USAA card, but there it was.

However, among the national-level banks, there is no scoring difference among BofA - Chase - Citi - First Premiere - AmEx - CapOne - Merrick, etc.

Before everyone asks, I can't remember which scoring formula had this snippiness about CU-only cards.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.