Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX... well shoot 'em.

tag
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: AMEX... well shoot 'em.

I'm thinking that the perfect consumer phone call to AmEx these days would involve telling them in a very kind and understanding voice, "I can see that you're having some problems now. Why don't you go sit over there for a while and sort things out. I won't bother you during this time. After a while, if you feel a little better, come back and maybe we can talk some." (aka, put them in time-out.)

Then put a miniscule recurring charge on it, stick it in the sock-drawer, and don't worry about it. It's them, not us.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 21 of 29
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: AMEX... Well shoot 'em.

I charged $1 to 3 of my dads amex cards to show activity(yes really just ONE DOLLAR), they promptly CLD all 3 accounts to $500 respectively!

We now use CHARGE CARDS ONLY from amex, the other cards will just sit since there is no annual fee. 

Message 22 of 29
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

@fused wrote:
JMHO, but I really believe most of the large CC issuers are not far behind Amex. We might see a ton of AA by BoA, CITI, Chase and etc., 
I think you are right.  I just applied for a USBank CC (in person).  The banker looked at my CR and said everything was excellent (EQ, 800, banked with them 13 years, DTI fabulous, etc), but they had to send it to an underwriter to check it out (took 30 minutes, got  $10K, low APR, no rewards, no fee card - exactly what I wanted).  I think they are being waaaay more careful than they were before....

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 23 of 29
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

MidnightVoice wrote:

... I think they are being waaaay more careful than they were before....

Good. Maybe this will keep them from destroying the economy of the entire planet again. Until they decide to get wild again. Idiots.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 24 of 29
Prema108

screw them.  Chase just showered me with 20K of Freedom Visa love, without the hastle.  Why would I want to pay a few to get hastled by AMEX?  What are the great benefits that AMEX provide, that Chase does not?  Cash back- check.  I hope AMEX goes under.  Why would they want to antagonize their customers?  What is the use of having a card if you are scared to use it for fear of it bein cancelled. screw them
Message 25 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think all these banks are in the same shape but the mystique with American Express is that they used to have the image of being the highest class/squeky clean credit card company in the business then they went straight into the most obnoxious aproach for cleaning up their house. Even if they are just like every body else, they've blown it with me for the rest of time with their aproach. So much so that it amazes me when I read posts here these days from people who are still trying so hard to get AMEX accounts. I can't hardly beleive anyone would want one.
Message 26 of 29
Prema108

I still say screw 'em.  Is AMEX going to give me 20K with no fees and cash back, and more importantly-no hastles-l

ikeChase? Heck no!  If I use them at Walmart, they would shut down my account.  I dont care how ellite they claim to be. 

I wont pay to be hastled.  

Message 27 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Blue doens't charge and annual fee and the only reason I stayed with them was to move an existing balance to a lower % which was 9.99% at the time in 2001 and only using it for travel and emergencies. Have you ever heard of someone getting hassled for having a 798 credit score and no blemishes on a perfect credit report? Guess I was not the customer that matched their typical profile...Like you said, screw-'em..they made their bed, now they can lie in their own sh**. Tired of dealing with CSR's that can't answer a question without reading the customer service manual or having to check with their supervisors as all calls are recorded and god forbid they should make a mistake and give out wrong information. Only problem is the supervisors are just as brain dead as the ones they supervise.
Message 28 of 29
mphan
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Saturday: After waiting over two years to get my credit score up I applied for a Amex Preferred Rewards Card. At the end of the online application, i got a please call notice. Turns out that they just needed to verify my address, and I was Approved. I thought well yeah, about time.

Same here but the CSR called my bank and verified the address with them. Within 2 minutes I got the email. APPROVED.Smiley Surprised

I applied for my sister (added her as an authorized user) so I can help bring her score up. Her score is in the low 620+, mine is around 700+.

Message Edited by mphan on 02-02-2009 01:04 AM
---------------
In 1900, if a father put a roof over his family's head, he was a success.
Today, it takes a roof, deck, pool, and 4-car garage. And that's just the vacation home.
---------------
Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.