cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX worth it after Costco contract lapses?

tag
Kostya1992
Established Contributor

AMEX worth it after Costco contract lapses?

Everyone I know (including family) only got AMEX to shop at Costco. Many friends and relatives have been panicing about the lapse of contract. Is AMEX worth it anymore? It was an ultimate goal of mine which has been dimmed by the news.

TU08 FICO850
EX08 FICO850
EQ08 FICO850

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX worth it after Costco contract lapses?

Yes it is. Backdating.
Message 2 of 28
Kostya1992
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Yes it is. Backdating.

Score boosting? Because any underwriter/mortgage officer will know the real date of card opening by looking at reports.

TU08 FICO850
EX08 FICO850
EQ08 FICO850

Message 3 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Basically.

You can fool the computer but not the human.
Message 4 of 28
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Also for me amex has two of the better rewards programs in spg and MR. I know its popular to hate on amex but if you are at all interested in traveling , i still think amex is a pretty card to carry around. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 5 of 28
chwebb1
Established Contributor

@Kostya1992 wrote:

Everyone I know (including family) only got AMEX to shop at Costco. Many friends and relatives have been panicing about the lapse of contract. Is AMEX worth it anymore? It was an ultimate goal of mine which has been dimmed by the news.

IMHO, it is still a worthwhile card to have. I love the benefits (extended warranty, return protection, etc) given by my AMEX, and I either use it or my Discover to buy expensive gadgets that might break. I recently got BoA to upgrade my card to a Visa Sig. I now have a third option for those kind of purchases too. In my experience, Citi makes it nearly impossible to claim extended warranty. I had a tablet (iPad) case break out of warranty, and they wanted so much information that I decided it wasn't worthwhile to pursue getting it repaired by Citi. Stuff like getting a quote from a local shop to repair it (it was like a $30 case, you're not going to get the zipper replaced for less than $30 if you have to pay someone to do it, let's use some logic here, Citi). I had no idea where to even take it to be honest. So I just use AMEX and Discover to avoid those hoops.

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 6 of 28
Kostya1992
Established Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

Also for me amex has two of the better rewards programs in spg and MR. I know its popular to hate on amex but if you are at all interested in traveling , i still think amex is a pretty card to carry around. 

Nobody is hating on AMEX. I think they are still the best with high limits & customer support. However, the average Joes are freaking out about the contract lapse.

TU08 FICO850
EX08 FICO850
EQ08 FICO850

Message 7 of 28
joedtx
Valued Contributor

I'm not sure if it will be an issue either way Amex want's you but Citi gets to keep you. Sounds like a win either way.

Message 8 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Yes it is. Backdating.

I've said it before and i'll say it again. Backdating is a parlor trick to give your FICOs a boost. As previously stated, it's only worthwhile when applying for a CC through a computer. Any recon officer or underwriter can easily see through it. The only people who need backdating are people whose FICOs aren't good enough to get instant approval for credit.

The loss of Costco is really going to impact AmExs bottom line and customer base. Their only card, imo, that is worth getting right now is Starwood. I don't even recommend that card unless you can for sure meet the required spending for the bonus.

Message 9 of 28
nyancat
Established Contributor

Costco was only a very minor part of my interest in Amex, and the loss of Costco will not in any way push Amex away from being my card of choice. The purchase protection, extended warranty and overall excellent service are what matters - not Costco.

Now, will I ditch Costco? Nope, I won't... but it might reduce my willingness to buy electronics at Costco. They have an EXCELLENT warranty policy, so it won't immediately... but I have to wonder if leaving Amex is the beginning of a path of Costco becoming less customer-friendly.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.