Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX

Right after I activate my card, I'm going to ask the CSR if there's any chance of reopening my old green card too and take it from there. Thankfully, my EX is the highest at 643, the others are 609 and 563. I also just remembered today that my old Amex is still on my EX, thanks to some errant blip that gave the account an OK status back in 2001. I'll post back with my results Smiley Wink

Message 21 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sunset7 wrote:
Right after I activate my card, I'm going to ask the CSR if there's any chance of reopening my old green card too and take it from there. Thankfully, my EX is the highest at 643, the others are 609 and 563. I also just remembered today that my old Amex is still on my EX, thanks to some errant blip that gave the account an OK status back in 2001. I'll post back with my results Smiley Wink

Good luck!  Hope you have better results than I did.

This account from 1994 is giving me a 14 year history on EX, which is why it's much higher than the others, but I dread even thinking about what's going to happen to my EX score when it drops off in 2014.

Message 22 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah, nuts! I got my Delta SkyMiles card today and called to activate it. I goofed up entering my acct # so I could speak to a CSR, and it put me right through to one. I mentioned I would like the card redated to "Member Since 1989" and she put me through to Card Replacement for this. You select "damaged card" in step 2 on the menu, btw. I explained to that CSR what I wanted and she explained that the Delta card is a new Amex product and she wouldn't be able to do that, but if I got another green card (not sure of other cards, didn't ask) then it would be dated 1989. Oh well, maybe in a few weeks I'll send them a letter in the mail with a photocopy of my charge slip from August 1989 and see what happens. Good luck to anyone else who tries Smiley Wink

Message 23 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

I called back and got a different CSR who was more than happy to help me out. Gave her my old account number and, after doing what she had to do, said it's been taken care of! I logged in online and my welcome page now says "Member since 1989"! I really can't tell you how happy this makes me! Smiley Happy
Message 24 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will any other CCCs besides Amex do this? I had Discover and Citibank cards from 1991-1996 that I closed in good standing, but now they're gone from my reports. I have every statement and complete documentation of everything, including welcome letters and closure letters. What can I say, I'm a packrat! Smiley Very Happy

I now have a new Citi card, and after seeing this thread I called the backdoor number to ask if it could be backdated the same way, and they said no. Would Discover be likely to do this if I got a new card with them?

I also had an MBNA from the same time, but it was *not* closed in good standing, unfortunately....
Message 25 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

The only other card I have heard to do this is Macy's- they'll re-open an old account, but it depends if they can find it or not from what I hear.

Message 26 of 42
Chazman
Contributor

Hi Cheddar....what number did you call at AMEX to try and revisit the original date issue. I've been a member since the mid 80's, but my Blue is only 2+ years old. Having that average age get a bump would be very useful, with 3 new accounts in the last year.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Message 27 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chazman wrote:
Hi Cheddar....what number did you call at AMEX to try and revisit the original date issue. I've been a member since the mid 80's, but my Blue is only 2+ years old. Having that average age get a bump would be very useful, with 3 new accounts in the last year.

Any help would be much appreciated.

The standard CS number on the back of your card can help with that.  They may transfer you to someone else, but I don't have a differnt number handy.

If you don't have any luck with the standard CS number, there may be a number for Amex Credit Reporting Bureau buried in the Backdoor Numbers thread stickied at the top of the forum.

Either way, if they can't find a record of your old account, you'll have to prove to them that you had one.

Good luck!

Message 28 of 42
Chazman
Contributor

Thanks Cheddar - I just got off the phone and, strangely, the card replacement rep told me she couldn't locate the original account, "but the CSR was able to."  Anyway, she said no prob with the switching the opened date on my Blue card from 2006, back to the original 8/87 date.  Said I'll receive the replacement Blue card (with the same acct#) in a couple of weeks)

Does that mean I just picked up 19 or so years of clean credit history on my Blue?
Message 29 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chazman wrote:
Thanks Cheddar - I just got off the phone and, strangely, the card replacement rep told me she couldn't locate the original account, "but the CSR was able to."  Anyway, she said no prob with the switching the opened date on my Blue card from 2006, back to the original 8/87 date.  Said I'll receive the replacement Blue card (with the same acct#) in a couple of weeks)

Does that mean I just picked up 19 or so years of clean credit history on my Blue?

Yep, it sure does.  Congratulations on that that!  That'll help the cause, huh?

Message 30 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.