Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX

tag
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

AMEX

What is the check your spending ability button on AMEX for? Does it just calculate your available credit, or is it a way to ask for a CLI?

Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
dnice77
Regular Contributor

Re: AMEX

Since AMEX cards are charge cards and have NPSL, the check spending button checks to see if you will get approved for a certiam amount. AMEX will check that against your exposure limit to approve or deny a transaction. your exposure limit is based on your spending patterns

Starting Score: 617
Current Score: 744 Smiley Happy
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 10
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@dnice77 wrote:

Since AMEX cargs are charge cards and have NPSL, they check spending button checks to see if you will get approved for a certiam amount. AMEX will check that against your exposure limit to approve or deny a transaction. your exposure limit is based on your spending patterns

+1.  AMEX put the button there so that you can check to see if a purchase will go through which might be larger than you have previously charged.   Don't click on it all day every day, just use it like it was intended.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 10
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@crunching_numbers wrote:

What is the check your spending ability button on AMEX for? Does it just calculate your available credit, or is it a way to ask for a CLI?

It should say, "Use with caution." People have posted here about getting FR after using it. It doesn't mean you will, but definitely use with caution and only when necessary. Now that I've been approved for the Amex Zync, I don't plan on touching that button. Just too paranoid from the experiences I've read here. Smiley Frustrated

There is no CL w/a charge card, so no it is not a way of asking for a CLI, since there really aren't CLIs with charge cards. It's probably closest to checking your available credit. I'd only use it if you know you're going to have major expenditures and want to be sure you're covered.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 4 of 10
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

OK, I get that about the Gold Card, but the button is on my Blue card as well.... What is the function on Blue?

Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Message 5 of 10
dnice77
Regular Contributor

The Blue shouldnt have a check spending ability button. I have heard of some people haveing a CLI button on thier AMEX screen but i have never seen it

Starting Score: 617
Current Score: 744 Smiley Happy
Goal Score: 800

Message 6 of 10
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@dnice77 wrote:

The Blue shouldnt have a check spending ability button. I have heard of some people haveing a CLI button on thier AMEX screen but i have never seen it

The revolvers have the button too.  Not sure why.  People have said that they can put in numbers that are higher than their CL and get approved, so it appears the card acts in some respects as a Signature or World card, though I wouldn't play around seeing how much you can charge above your credit limit.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've never used it and I've never been declined, even when I expected to be a couple times (travel and electronics). Seems to me that it's one of those things where if you have to ask...
That said if I were making a legitimate high tag (above my other current CL's) purchase and hadn't before I would call first, offer to pay in advance if necessary. FR's happen most often when something seems amiss. You know what you can and can't afford, amex probably has a general idea too, which may or may not be accurate... if your spend is outside of what they expect... Well then. Sure there's an internal limit, but I think your general useage (amt and type) and payment history is a hugely significant factor.
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have 2 Amex revolvers and both have the "check your spending ability" button. The amount you can charge over your available credit is based on your internal risk score with Amex, i.e. length of history with them and payment history. Just pay it off like you would a Visa Signature card. It's been awhile since I checked but last time I put in 2X my credit line and it was approved with no problem.

Asking for a CLI on the other hand is a lot more than just internal risk. It factors in income, credit history with other lenders, etc.

Message 9 of 10
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

@dnice77 wrote:

Since AMEX cargs are charge cards and have NPSL, they check spending button checks to see if you will get approved for a certiam amount. AMEX will check that against your exposure limit to approve or deny a transaction. your exposure limit is based on your spending patterns

+1.  AMEX put the button there so that you can check to see if a purchase will go through which might be larger than you have previously charged.   Don't click on it all day every day, just use it like it was intended.

My zync NPSL  is in its second month, well barely, used it to pay cellphone bill, and cable bill a  few resturants and paid in full the first chance I got weekly for a total of nearly $900 last month but never more than $350 showing at any given time. Hadn't bothered getting the statement cut date, ended up with $29 showing paid the same day. of course it shows that way on my credit reports, no 2 month delay for me before it appeared.

This month. I was currently carying a balance of $220, then paid my cell phone bill $285 for a total of $505. A few minutes later with the cell bill showing in pending, I decided it was time to check my spending ability, checked my spending of an additional $750, just to be sure my internal limit was at least $1250. Approved. Decided okay that was fun made a payment of $400 in 48 hours my balance will be about $100, which i will take care of it next week,  2nd statement doesn't cut until the 7th. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.