Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEx Platinum with EMV is here !

tag
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: AMEx Platinum with EMV is here !

I see PRG + Blue as being a good combo...   I don't know that the AF on the MB would be worth it unless you're a MB driver.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 11 of 22
GoRavens
Established Member

@CS800 wrote:

FOr right now I can justify the AF on the Plat. I think if the travels go way down, I'll switch to the PRG. I already have the BCE for the 321 category.

Is it PIN or Signature?  Also, how did you go about requesting one?

Message 12 of 22
CS800
Super Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

I see PRG + Blue as being a good combo...   I don't know that the AF on the MB would be worth it unless you're a MB driver.

I agree. I bought an MB about 9 month ago and at the dealership when I was making the final paperwork, they asked me if I wanted to get this card (the regular blue MB AMEX)

https://www.mbfs.com/mbfsr/en/misc/creditCard.do

The Plat version looks like a good deal but that's an extra $25 added to the existing $450 (what's an $25 huh, I'm cheap)

Wonder if the regular plat could be PC'ed to the MB Plat. Just curious at this point.

Message 13 of 22
CS800
Super Contributor

@GoRavens wrote:

@CS800 wrote:

FOr right now I can justify the AF on the Plat. I think if the travels go way down, I'll switch to the PRG. I already have the BCE for the 321 category.

Is it PIN or Signature?  Also, how did you go about requesting one?

It's a signature not the pin as far as I know. My card did not come with any pin number. I called the Plat customer service number and requested that my card be changed to this versio since it would be helpful when I travel to Europe. It was painless; done in about 10 minutes and it was expedited overnight at no cost.

Message 14 of 22
Open123
Super Contributor

@CS800 wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

I agree. I bought an MB about 9 month ago and at the dealership when I was making the final paperwork, they asked me if I wanted to get this card (the regular blue MB AMEX)

A no fee MR "Blue" of some kind is good to have for maintaining MR points when you cancel accounts.

In my estimation, the MB Plat is a better card if you plan to buy/lease or drive a Mercedes.  I'm planning to lease one near October, so will get this card for the 50K MR points and the $1,000 off the lease/purchase in addition to an extra 2,000 miles on the lease.  Also, you can have 5X the points when the car is serviced at MB and $100 accessories.  I can get a nice key fob, I guess.

If you have the Blue, you can cancel your Platinum and apply for the MB Platinum for new bonus.  For now, Amex considers them different products and you can receive the bonus right after the other's cancelled.

PS - MB Plat has all the benefits of regular Plat including the $200 airline credit.

Message 15 of 22
CS800
Super Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@CS800 wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

A no fee MR "Blue" of some kind is good to have for maintaining MR points when you cancel accounts.

In my estimation, the MB Plat is a better card if you plan to buy/lease or drive a Mercedes.  I'm planning to lease one near October, so will get this card for the 50K MR points and the $1,000 off the lease/purchase in addition to an extra 2,000 miles on the lease.  Also, you can have 5X the points when the car is serviced at MB and $100 accessories.  I can get a nice key fob, I guess.

If you have the Blue, you can cancel your Platinum and apply for the MB Platinum for new bonus.  For now, Amex considers them different products and you can receive the bonus right after the other's cancelled.

PS - MB Plat has all the benefits of regular Plat including the $200 airline credit.

Thanks for the clarification. It does seem to have good perks.

Message 16 of 22
Dustink
Valued Contributor

6. Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have had this product within the last 12 months.You can earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points when you spend $1,000 in your first 3 months of Card membership.To be eligible to earn points, you must charge your purchase on an eligible Platinum Card® from American Express exclusively for Mercedes-Benz. Points will be credited to your Membership Rewards account within 6 - 8 weeks after the spend requirement has been reached. This offer is not valid for existing Platinum Card members from American Express.*** You are eligible to receive points for only one Card account. Additional Card members are not eligible.

Well that foils my plan.

Or would opening a blue, closing Plat, then opening this account work?

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 17 of 22
Open123
Super Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

6. Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have had this product within the last 12 months.You can earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points when you spend $1,000 in your first 3 months of Card membership.To be eligible to earn points, you must charge your purchase on an eligible Platinum Card® from American Express exclusively for Mercedes-Benz. Points will be credited to your Membership Rewards account within 6 - 8 weeks after the spend requirement has been reached. This offer is not valid for existing Platinum Card members from American Express.*** You are eligible to receive points for only one Card account. Additional Card members are not eligible.

Well that foils my plan.

Or would opening a blue, closing Plat, then opening this account work?

Yes, it would most assuredly work, as of now.  But, this could change next year.

PS - If you have another Amex card, your MR points will remain for 30 days as a courtesy if you close the Platinum.  However, I know this is the case if you have an SPG, so check with Amex *first* before closing the Plat, unless you app for the Blue first.

Message 18 of 22
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Isnt the plain blue an MRe card?
Message 19 of 22
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@jsucool76 wrote:
Isnt the plain blue an MRe card?

MRe points will be converted to regular MR points if you hold a charge card that earns MR points.

My Zync points are full MR points because I have PRG.  Zync has cheaper AF than Green, so its a WIN Smiley Very Happy

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.