Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMeX Everyday OR Everyday PREFERRED???

tag
plasticcards
New Contributor

AMeX Everyday OR Everyday PREFERRED???

Which card is better? in your opinion. is the $95 AF WORTH THE PREFEREED VERSION? 

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

Re: AMeX Everyday OR Everyday PREFERRED???

@plasticcards wrote:

Which card is better? in your opinion. is the $95 AF WORTH THE PREFEREED VERSION? 

Do you spend a decent amount at grocery stores? Because it all depends on how you value MR points, and the amount of money that you will be running through the card to make up for the AF. If you're capable of running enough money to cover the annual fee, plus some, then go for the preferred. Otherwise, stick to the NAF. The added 50% of extra points on the preferred is nice though. 

Message 2 of 17
plasticcards
New Contributor

I don't buy much groceries. I was thinking of this one. Because the 50% points you get after 30 purchases. I do have over 30 purchases since I will be using this card a s my main card to gt 50% more points. Will I be able to change it later to the regular Everyday card I I choose too? Or I will be stuck with this one? 

Message 3 of 17
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Its kind of intended to be used as a card for everything, even though groceries earn the most points.  When you hit the transaction min, its as if you were using a 1.5x card on any purchases that weren't grocery or fuel.   I would do it if I planned on EDP being my main card, but I kind of prefer switching my cards around to get the max for the least AF.

If you do have other cards for everyday purchases and were planning on using the EDP just for grocery/gas points, you will lose the bonus, unless you plan to split your grocery trips into 10+ transactions... that would be ridiculous.

ETA:  sorry... re-read your post above and see that you are intending this to be truely as an everyday card.  I would go for it.  I think Amex requires 13 months with the card before a PC, but someone with an Amex can verify.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 4 of 17
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

On its own without other charge card, does Everyday earns regular MR points or Express/Basic like Blue does (one where you cannot transfer to hotel & airline points/miles)?

Message 5 of 17
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

@plasticcards wrote:

I don't buy much groceries. I was thinking of this one. Because the 50% points you get after 30 purchases. I do have over 30 purchases since I will be using this card a s my main card to gt 50% more points. Will I be able to change it later to the regular Everyday card I I choose too? Or I will be stuck with this one? 

Yes, you're able to downgrade your account. I believe it's after your account has been established for 12 months if I am not mistaken. If you plan on making this your primary card, then go for the preferred. 

Message 6 of 17
plasticcards
New Contributor

Thanks!

Message 7 of 17
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@plasticcards wrote:

Worth and better are subjective.  Do the math using your spend to see if the difference in rewards make it worth it to you.  Neither of them are worth it to me since MR doesn't transfer to anything that I use.

Message 8 of 17
ACsteel
Frequent Contributor

Even if you get the 50% bonus which gives it at 1.5% cash back on everything, there are many cards doing this for free.  I suggest looking at other cards instead of AMEX BCE. Take this into consideration, if you were trying to break even at the minimum to get your 95 dollar annual fee back, you have to spend on groceries (which is giving your best benefit since it's 6% percent back) a minimum of 1583 dollars, and that is just to break even.

Message 9 of 17
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@ACsteel wrote:

Even if you get the 50% bonus which gives it at 1.5% cash back on everything, there are many cards doing this for free.  I suggest looking at other cards instead of AMEX BCE. Take this into consideration, if you were trying to break even at the minimum to get your 95 dollar annual fee back, you have to spend on groceries (which is giving your best benefit since it's 6% percent back) a minimum of 1583 dollars, and that is just to break even.

Looks like you are talking about the wrong cards.  EPD ISN'T 1.5% cash back.  It is 1.5MR points.  As some value an MR point as at least 2c (because they are able to make high value transfers), then this is 3% on all non-bonus categories, which is very good.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.