Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMex overpayment

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMex overpayment

I have green and gold AMEx cards. I may have accidentially paid my Am Ex bill (gold card) twice--once by e-check from my bank and once while on the American Express site (they are not exactly the same amount.)  Does AmEx just credit you against future purchases or is that a problem?

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: AMex overpayment

Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

No. I try to pay off my balance before the Am Ex site allows me to because I don't want a large daily balance.   For some reason, I can pay the green card off on the AMEx site 2-3 days after a purchase appears but I cannot pay the gold card balance until a week or more after a purchase posts.  So I use my bank's bill pay feature in those cases.  Unfortunately it takes a good two days for the payment to process after Am Ex  receives it so I never know for sure from day-to-day what I owe (and don't owe.)

Message 3 of 21
ludawg23
Established Member

I honestly cannot speak regarding AMEX card overpayments but i've overpaid on my BOA card and it's just a credit balance.  Just offset it by purchasing something in the future...

Message 4 of 21
bakalao2k
Frequent Contributor

@ludawg23 wrote:

I honestly cannot speak regarding AMEX card overpayments but i've overpaid on my BOA card and it's just a credit balance.  Just offset it by purchasing something in the future...

i did the same thing yesterday.  i accidentally over paid my BOA card and have now have a credit balance.

TU - 737 - 02/21/09, 769 - 02/06/10, 795 - 09/08/10
EQ - 758 - 02/21/09, 783 - 02/06/10, 805 - 09/08/10
EX (PLUS) - 781 03/23/09, 787 - 02/06/10, 783 - 08/09/10
Message 5 of 21
creditstarved
Valued Member

So how does that work, having a credit on your account? Does your FICO score go haywire?

Starting Score: EQ FICO 773 (Jan. 2013)
Current Score: EQ FICO 783 (Feb. 2013)
Goal Score: EQ FICO 850

What's in my wallet? Chase Freedom - 1.9k || Chase United Explorer Signature Visa - 8.5k || Chase Priority Club Select Signature Visa - 5.9k || Citi Platinum Rewards - 4k || Citi Simplicity - 9.1k || GE Capital/Ashley Furniture 3.5k || Penfed Rewards Visa - 5k
Message 6 of 21
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@creditstarved wrote:

So how does that work, having a credit on your account? Does your FICO score go haywire?

No, a credit balance is reported as $0 on your reports. So that account will show 0% utilization, and it will be added into your total balances on all cards as $0, rather than (-$300) or whatever the balance is.

OP, I've never known an overpayment to cause a problem. AmEx will just carry it along and apply your new charges to it. I do think I've read that if you don't apply new charges, the bank will eventually mail you a check for the credit amount. (Seems like this was on a thread about a credit balance with Chase, but I certainly wouldn't swear to it.)

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 21
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

No. I try to pay off my balance before the Am Ex site allows me to because I don't want a large daily balance.

But why though? Nothing wrong with a high daily balance, I would think.

Message 8 of 21
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@ludawg23 wrote:

Yes. I would imagine that if you have $-5 on your last statement because you overpaid, and it's now time to pay a $15 balance before the statement cut, a $10 payment would zero the balance.

Message 9 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

As a new cardholder my concern over a high daily balance was that without a payment history with me, they might decline a future purchase.

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.