Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ANSWERED: Why AMEX Only Allows One Payment In The First 30 Days

tag
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

Re: ANSWERED: Why AMEX Only Allows One Payment In The First 30 Days

You can just make whatever many payments you want from your own bank.  Problem solved.  So easy.  Do not need to analyze all this....

Message 11 of 20
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Gmood1wrote:

@simplynoirwrote:

@Gmood1wrote:
I've also noticed payments are registered instantly on my Amex business cards verses the personal cards. In other words, the credit limit is updated in real time.

Really? In my experience the limit is immediately available - both personal and business - as soon as the payment is submitted even if it takes a day or two to officially post.

Well that explains it. Being you are Simplynoir ( The Bee's knees of Amex) would make all the difference in the world.😉

Yeah, not sure why it's like that for me Noir. I do have several bank accounts linked to the personal side. Maybe I used an account thats not used regularly. I'll have go back and check it out.

However, I'm sticking with the bee's knees theory or hypothesis.😁

Smiley LOL I will say while I have several bank accounts set up I do primairly use one to pay off on the personal side it being a local bank while on business side I use several.

Message 12 of 20
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

I don’t have any business cards with Amex so I can’t speak to the business side.

But the personal side. When I make a payment to Amex on my Revolver. The available credit updates immediately and is available for use. I use three different bank accounts at three different banks for payments and they all reflect immediately.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 13 of 20
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Do you guys have AUs bank accounts linked to your Amex accounts? Where they can pay their balances directly?
Message 14 of 20
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

I do have AU’s on both of my Amex accounts.

The PRG has my mother but she doesn’t have online access setup. I have her account linked to my online account. If she needs to make a large purchase. I just call Amex and tell them. Then withdraw the money from her account using my login. Never had an issue

On my Delta Gold. I have my fiancé but she’s only made payments about 10 times through her own login. Her bank account is linked to my login and also the same account is linked on her login. ( she has her own Amex cards as well). The only charges she puts through the card are bills if we need to split them and I’m away for work. So every charge that gets made Gets paid by 2 different banks.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 15 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

umm I have made like 4 payments on my Amex card since i recieved it a week ago. I dont understand this rule. Who does it apply too?

The card has only been open for 2 weeks.

Message 16 of 20
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

A few comments in green.

@RicHowewrote:

Second, Automated Clearing House (ACH) transactions
Have you ever noticed that when you make a payment on your AMEX card, the funds usually take a day or two to post to your checking account? That's because when you make your payment, AMEX initiates an ACH transfer of the funds from your banking account to AMEX. Since these funds must be audited and routed through the federal reserve system, these batch settlements cause the lag in time between the actual transaction and it's eventual settlement. This is important to remember.

Isn't  this is true for every issuer (except when you use a bank account for that issuer)

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming
We all know that there are nefarious people who will open credit card accounts either through identity theft, or simply applying for a card using some other fraudulent method. We'll call this guy Black Bart. Bart also likes to open up fraudulent checking accounts at banks using these same means. Using a stolen or otherwise duplicitous AMEX card, Bart charges as much as he can with these cards and schedules payments to be made through their fraudulent checking accounts (yes there is actual money in the checking account). Bart knows that AMEX will initiate the ACH transfer and they will get a confirmation that there are funds cover the payment, but immediately after scheduling the payment, he withdrawals the money leaving the account empty. Bart has swindled both the merchant he purchased goods and services from, and left both the merchant and AMEX hanging.
Probably not both.  Either Amex will pay the merchant (and take the loss) or they won't pay, and only leave the merchant out of pocket.   Usually depends on various rules about card type (chip or not), merchant's POS etc.
CONNECTING THE DOTS
AMEX is unique from Visa and MasterCard in that they are BOTH the card issuer AND the acquiring bank. They benefit from making money from both the swipe fees and the discount fees charged to the merchant. They also have another huge advantage that neither Visa and MasterCard have, which is the ability to see how you spend AND pay your credit obligations. Over time, AMEX builds a really good profile of your spending and payment habits. 
The first part is indeed an advantage for Amex (and in a perfect market would lead them to charge LOWER swipe fees, but apparently not!)  Don't get your second part at all.    Any issuer, such as Chase, can see what you have charged on their cards and how quickly and well you pay them.   Amex, as far as I can see, has nothing special here,, unless you also bank with them, but that applies to any other bank issuer as well.   What do you mean?

Message 17 of 20
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

Give you a good example.  A minor in my family opened a BCE card with a $500 CL.  The welcome offer was $250 for $2,000 spending.  It also came with a 10% offer with up to $2,000 Amazon purchases.  The welcome offer is a total of $450 cash.

Within the first month, we put on $1,800 purchases.  We paid $1,700 (7 separate payments) from our bank account.  Within 1.5 months, we met all the spending requirements (most from Amazon).  It was one of the easiest SUB to meet.

You are just not limited by making the payments out of AmEx.  I do not even like to store my payment info at each bank...

Message 18 of 20
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@BronzeTraderwrote:

Give you a good example.  A minor in my family opened a BCE card with a $500 CL.  The welcome offer was $250 for $2,000 spending.  It also came with a 10% offer with up to $2,000 Amazon purchases.  The welcome offer is a total of $450 cash.

Within the first month, we put on $1,800 purchases.  We paid $1,700 (7 separate payments) from our bank account.  Within 1.5 months, we met all the spending requirements (most from Amazon).  It was one of the easiest SUB to meet.

You are just not limited by making the payments out of AmEx.  I do not even like to store my payment info at each bank...

Yes, I suspect the "rule" referred to by OP is just that you can make one payment FROM the Amex website in the first 30 days.   Not sure what happens if you link more than one bank there.   Are you able to do one per bank, or just one in total?

Regardless, at best it allows Amex to confirm that they can pull from the linked account and receive their money.   You may never use that account again. 

Message 19 of 20
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

I think the OP observation is true.  I've also noticed this.  But we got around with it with paying FROM my bank.  Now I saw we have two bank accounts linked to this AmEx account, but I do not recall if we made one or two payments FROM AmE at that time.  

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.