Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

APP SPREE Question

tag
KeepingScores
Established Member

APP SPREE Question

Today I am applying for a vehicle loan from a credit union. The credit union uses Equifax Fico score.  My income can support this loan.

My Fico Scores are: Equifax 715, Experian 743 pulled in the last two days. 

Equifax: Reports that my oldest account is 2 years, 9 months; my average age of accounts is 2 years and my file is thin.

Since I am applying for the vehicle loan, I think that it's a good time to also do an app spree since I have no credit cards

I think that I can get Prime Credit Cards, but have no idea which ones to apply for.  My main purchases are gasoline, groceries and maybe some utility bills. 

***Any suggestions as to which cards to get and how to do an app spree so that everything goes smoothly? Timing? Order to apply for the cards? Anything else that I should know because I haven't applied for a card before.***

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
azguy13
Senior Contributor

Re: APP SPREE Question

@KeepingScores wrote:

Today I am applying for a vehicle loan from a credit union. The credit union uses Equifax Fico score.  My income can support this loan.

My Fico Scores are: Equifax 715, Experian 743 pulled in the last two days. 

Equifax: Reports that my oldest account is 2 years, 9 months; my average age of accounts is 2 years and my file is thin.

Since I am applying for the vehicle loan, I think that it's a good time to also do an app spree since I have no credit cards

I think that I can get Prime Credit Cards, but have no idea which ones to apply for.  My main purchases are gasoline, groceries and maybe some utility bills. 

***Any suggestions as to which cards to get and how to do an app spree so that everything goes smoothly? Timing? Order to apply for the cards? Anything else that I should know because I haven't applied for a card before.***

You may have decent scores but I am not sure if your credit file supports prime cards with a decent CL. I am not saying you can't get prime cards, just that sine you have basically no revolving credit, you may not get what you are looking for.

What type of accounts are on your CR?

Any baddies?  

Any prior auto loans?

What is your income?

Message 2 of 23
KeepingScores
Established Member

Two accounts--never late:

1) Credit union secured loan dated July 2013 ($9,495 high balance which the current balance is $894.)

2) Retail store card with high balance of $4,500 which was paid in full and is now closed.

Any baddies?  

No baddies whatsover

Any prior auto loans?

No prior auto loans

What is your income?

$100,000+K

Message 3 of 23
azguy13
Senior Contributor

@KeepingScores wrote:

Two accounts--never late:

1) Credit union secured loan dated July 2013 ($9,495 high balance which the current balance is $894.)

2) Retail store card with high balance of $4,500 which was paid in full and is now closed.

Any baddies?  

No baddies whatsover

Any prior auto loans?

No prior auto loans

What is your income?

$100,000+K

Just based on your income, you may be able to get a card from a prime lender with a low CL. I would not expect anything over $3K though. It really doesnt matter though. Once you get your foot in the door and establish a good payment history you can get CLI and new cards if needed. 

As for the auto loan, I have no idea what your APR will look like since it is your first auto loan. I would provide a large down payment. Are you part of any CU? I lucked out with my first auto loan when I was in the Army. USAA gave me 6% which was amazing for someone with NO credit history at all. Granted, you have a credit history but it is very very thin. 

Out of curiosity, why did you close your retail card?

Message 4 of 23
KeepingScores
Established Member

As for the auto loan, I have no idea what your APR will look like since it is your first auto loan. I would provide a large down payment. Are you part of any CU?

Yes, I belong to some credit unions.

I was an authorized user on someone else's retail store account which I never used; they filed for bankruptcy and the retailer closed the card.

Message 5 of 23
azguy13
Senior Contributor

@KeepingScores wrote:

As for the auto loan, I have no idea what your APR will look like since it is your first auto loan. I would provide a large down payment. Are you part of any CU?

Yes, I belong to some credit unions.

I was an authorized user on someone else's retail store account which I never used; they filed for bankruptcy and the retailer closed the card.

Well, the good part is that you are basically brand new to credit which means you have not screwed it up in any way. You have established a good payment history with the credit you do have which is good. 

Since you have no active credit cards, I am not sure how the lenders will look at you. Hopefully once other members drag themselves out of bed they can help a little more. I do not think you will have to start secured but I do not think you will get high CL's. Either way, you will be set within a year. 

A credit union will be your best bet for your auto loan. They could very well be your best bet for your first credit card as well. Maybe once Myjourney, Shogun or 09Lexie wakes up he can give some input. They are very knowledgable in this area. There are many others as well but those 3 are who come to mind. 

Message 6 of 23
KeepingScores
Established Member

THANKS so much for your support and information. 

I haven't thought long and hard about credit before now.  I paid cash, paid my bills on time and lived within my means.  I thought that I had a higher credit score--only to learn that I have an average credit score and need to build great credit by borrowing and paying back.  I want to improve my credit strategically by performing the best tactics for my situation.  Then I want to pass it on and help others do the same.

I plan to apply for the auto loan at Digital Credit Union which offers a 1.99 IR; I AM concerned on their ratings page that some members state that DCU retracts the 1.99 a few weeks or months later, even after signing a contract--only to charge a higher rate.

I also saw on the myFICO forums that truetoforums obtained a no-membership CC from https://www.oregoncommunitycu.org/credit-cards/duck-card.  OCCU has a CC evaluator located at https://www.oregoncommunitycu.org/credit-cards/evaluate-credit-cards where I may qualify.  CHFCU and PSECU also have competitive CC rates.

Maybe it's too premature for me to do an app spree to coincide with the auto loan.  With so little experience, it's hard for me to tell so I am waiting for additional input before making a decision.

Message 7 of 23
azguy13
Senior Contributor

@KeepingScores wrote:

THANKS so much for your support and information. 

I haven't thought long and hard about credit before now.  I paid cash, paid my bills on time and lived within my means.  I thought that I had a higher credit score--only to learn that I have an average credit score and need to build great credit by borrowing and paying back.  I want to improve my credit strategically by performing the best tactics for my situation.  Then I want to pass it on and help others do the same.

I plan to apply for the auto loan at Digital Credit Union which offers a 1.99 IR; I AM concerned on their ratings page that some members state that DCU retracts the 1.99 a few weeks or months later, even after signing a contract--only to charge a higher rate.

I also saw on the myFICO forums that truetoforums obtained a no-membership CC from https://www.oregoncommunitycu.org/credit-cards/duck-card.  OCCU has a CC evaluator located at https://www.oregoncommunitycu.org/credit-cards/evaluate-credit-cards where I may qualify.  CHFCU and PSECU also have competitive CC rates.

Maybe it's too premature for me to do an app spree to coincide with the auto loan.  With so little experience, it's hard for me to tell so I am waiting for additional input before making a decision.

I do not believe that one CC ap would affect your ability to qualify for an auto loan. I am unfamiliar with Digital CU so I can't be any help there. I would try for an unsecured CC from a CU and if you dont qualify, they may counter you with a secured offer. It sucks in the beginning because of what you do and do not qualify for but I promise, it is better than rebuilding. 

Your thoughts of you having a higher CS than you do is a very common misconception. People believe if they have never paid their bills late, pay cash, and live within their means, they have excellent credit. Sadly, non of those things are reported to the CRAs. 

I remember reading an article once about a man who paid cash for everything in his life. He became wealthy and boutght a few apartment buildings. The problem was he never used any type of credit at all. The most interesting thing I read on there was he passed an apartment building once and thought to himself that he could buy that building outright but would never be approved to rent an apartment in it because he had no credit history. It kind of makes you realize how crazy our credit system is. 

Message 8 of 23
KeepingScores
Established Member

Ahhh, a mistake all too easily made without the right information.

Message 9 of 23
azguy13
Senior Contributor

@KeepingScores wrote:

Ahhh, a mistake all too easily made without the right information.

Exactly. We always red in the news how, as a country, we are financially irresponsible and get into debt way to fast and easy. I think one of the easiest ways to help this is to have a mandatory class in high school before going off to college. Granted, a lot of kids will ignore it, but it will be in the back of their mind. 

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.