Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

APP Suggestions and Advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

APP Suggestions and Advice

Hello All. 

I'm considering going on an app spree this week and could really use your advises. 

Today all 3 scores are within 755 Fico score.

My oldest is 4 years old. My AAOA is 3 years.

Have NO Baddies what so ever.

6 Credit Lines, 5 are Revolving with CL on 2 accounts of 20K plus and 1 as an Auto.

100,000 plus a year salary

IF I go on a spree I want to use several inquiries and obtain many Prime cards that I will hold for a very long time. I realize that my AAOA will drop but over the long term I find that totally acceptable as I have worked hard to prepare myself for this. 

The type of cards I am more interested in are low interest with an Intro APR with a travel card or two. I travel internationally monthly so a rewards card would be beneficial also. Here is a list of what I was thinking and your input if I could do better would be most grateful.

Cards to APP 1st

1.     CITI (1ST simplicity & 2ND  diamond preferred)

2.     Navy NFCU (Flagship rewards) 

3.     CHASE (1st fREEDOM, 2nd sapphire)

4.     DELTA SKYMILES AMEX

5.     DISCOVERY (Not sure about this type of card)

6.     CAPITAL ONE (cash rewards) last card of choice

Thank you MyFico.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

Re: APP Suggestions and Advice

I can only give partial advice. Don't even think about number 6 and number 2 is likely to give you your highest limit
NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 2 of 13
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Cards to APP 1st

1.     CITI (1ST simplicity & 2ND  diamond preferred)  I hate Citi, so I would never app this personally

2.     Navy NFCU (Flagship rewards) I love NFCU, they will likely give you an out of this world CL

3.     CHASE (1st fREEDOM, 2nd sapphire)  Add a checking account and you have a powerful rewards earning trio

4.     DELTA SKYMILES AMEX  Do you fly delta a lot?

5.     DISCOVERY (Not sure about this type of card)  I think the rewards aren't as prime as some of the ones above

6.     CAPITAL ONE (cash rewards) last card of choice  No way

Thank you MyFico.

Discover is likely not going to be the type of card you want, as its rewards are not geared towards travelers... People have reported a lot of good rewards with the Chase Freedome, Sapphire Preferred, and Checking combination, thats what I would go with, since I hate Citi...   I haven't looked at NFCU, but NFCU will likely give you an out of this world limit, see my siggy below.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 3 of 13
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello All. 

I'm considering going on an app spree this week and could really use your advises. 

6 Credit Lines, 5 are Revolving with CL on 2 accounts of 20K plus and 1 as an Auto.

100,000 plus a year salary...

I agree with the other comments about the cards.

One thing that jumps out is that your AAoA is 3 years. Don't go so wild that your AAoA drops below 2 years, because you'll be rebucketed.

Well, actually, it's not the end of the world if you are, but it can be a pain waiting for your AAoA to climb back up. You mentioned that, but I didn't know if you know about 2 years being one of the tiers.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's all very good thoughts. I've got one card (20K plus) with NavyFcu but was thinking about getting the flagship for the No International Charges and High Limit. They said they would issue two cards if the DTIs can support it

I've looked at Chases checking account and it doesn't impress me one bit to take me away from NFCUs amazing customer support. Now I'm still interested in the cards but of the two you recommended which one is better and will they issue both?

One of you said you don't like Citi. From I can see in their offers they have 0% for 18 months and a moderate intrest rate to follow. Now I think that's impressive as long as they offer me some real money to spend (like 10K Plus). I read the Simplicity card is hard to get? Any more insight on why you might not like them if you had an offer of 0% for 18 months?

Delta is offering free 1st bad as well 35,000 bonus miles (one free round trip ticket can save me 900 dollars). Not to mention if used this card it earns 1 skymile per dollar on regular purchase and more when I buy my airfares. Just wondering if they offer Strong Inital CL to people with my stats?

I've dropped the last two (capital one and discover) and would welcome any other thoughts about possiable other cards

1.     CITI (1st simplicity & 2nd  diamond preferred)

2.     Navy NFCU (Flagship rewards

3.     CHASE (1st Freedom, 2nd sapphire)

Message 5 of 13
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

That's all very good thoughts. I've got one card (20K plus) with NavyFcu but was thinking about getting the flagship for the No International Charges and High Limit. They said they would issue two cards if the DTIs can support it

I've looked at Chases checking account and it doesn't impress me one bit to take me away from NFCUs amazing customer support. Now I'm still interested in the cards but of the two you recommended which one is better and will they issue both?

One of you said you don't like Citi. From I can see in their offers they have 0% for 18 months and a moderate intrest rate to follow. Now I think that's impressive as long as they offer me some real money to spend (like 10K Plus). I read the Simplicity card is hard to get? Any more insight on why you might not like them if you had an offer of 0% for 18 months?

Delta is offering free 1st bad as well 35,000 bonus miles (one free round trip ticket can save me 900 dollars). Not to mention if used this card it earns 1 skymile per dollar on regular purchase and more when I buy my airfares. Just wondering if they offer Strong Inital CL to people with my stats?

I've dropped the last two (capital one and discover) and would welcome any other thoughts about possiable other cards

1.     CITI (1st simplicity & 2nd  diamond preferred)

2.     Navy NFCU (Flagship rewards

3.     CHASE (1st Freedom, 2nd sapphire)

The reason I hate Citi has more to do with my ex husband than their Credit Cards... haha, I'll leave it at that...  The offer is a good one, so please disregard my personal aversion for this company lol Many people on this forum have had much success with them.

I think for you the NFCU Flagship will give you the best bang for your buck...  You don't want all those new Chase accounts bringing your account age down, I didn't think about that when I posted that.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey fellow Texan,

I just apped for the Simplicity card.  I got an instant approval for $7400, the 0% BT offer for 18months, and 12.99% APR afterwards.

My EQ FICO is 775, and my HHI is only $46K.

With your salary and existing CLs, I'd be surprised if you didn't get a 10K CL.

Message 7 of 13
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello All. 

100,000 plus a year salary

IF I go on a spree I want to use several inquiries and obtain many Prime cards that I will hold for a very long time. I realize that my AAOA will drop but over the long term I find that totally acceptable as I have worked hard to prepare myself for this. 

The type of cards I am more interested in are low interest with an Intro APR with a travel card or two. I travel internationally monthly so a rewards card would be beneficial also. Here is a list of what I was thinking and your input if I could do better would be most grateful.

Cards to APP 1st

Thank you MyFico.

Hey chuck-texas!

Great scores.  I'd be concerned about the AAoA dropping so much that you end up getting AA with some of the major banks.  Just a thought but if your FICO drops too much, could be an issue with them.  I'd say 3 max 4 might be a good app spree for you to be safe, but that's just me.  Smiley Happy

I personally like the Diamond Preferred.  Great BT offers and at least you get concierge service with a low interest card.  (plus it's a GREAT looking card if that matters)   lol Starting limit should be good with your scores and great limits.

I'd say NFCU is a sure go since you have a history with them.

I love the Delta card and plan to get it one day.  Right now it's 35K bonus sign on.  Sure to drop back to 30K soon. Plus - Amex is great for future cards if you so desire with the back dating.

I'd forget the freedom and go for the CSP.  Great travel card also that would compliment the Delta card or even another Amex travel card.  I like that it rewards for dining also.

I'd probably leave Discover and Capital One alone.  

Just giving you my thoughts. I hope this helps.  Good luck with you spree!

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm still looking into everyone's input and thank you again.

Are there any other major prime cards that anyone can think of that have better offers than what I looking at?

For my what is most important is Low Interest with no Annual Fee. 

-Citi they offer 18 months 0% on purchases on their Simplicity and Diamond Preferred/ 

-Chase offers 15 months 0% on purchases on their Freedom Card. 

I've chosen the Delta Amex for my Flights Card & NFCU Flagship for Rewards with No International Fees.

Thanks MyFico.

Message 9 of 13
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Cards to APP 1st

Thank you MyFico.

Maybe missed it, but you want the 0% most? Do you have high balances on other cards that you want to BT? What are those Balances compared to limits? Depending on this I might change my list but currently if it's just about good cards with high initial credit line chances this would be my order of what and what not to apply:

1. Apply back to back for both Citi

2. Chase next back to back

3. Discover

4. Amex

5. Navy

6. RUN and DO NOT APPLY for Cap1!!!

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.