Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

APPLY FOR STUDENT CARD EVEN IF I'M NOT A STUDENT

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

APPLY FOR STUDENT CARD EVEN IF I'M NOT A STUDENT

CAN I APPLY FOR A STUDENT CREDIT CARD EVEN IF I'M NOT A STUDENT?. I'VE A PART TIME JOB, AND HAVE NO DEBT, THE PROBLEM IS THAT I NEED A EASY TO GET CARD TO START BUILDING CREDIT. I'VE ALSO CONSIDERED A SECURED CARD, BUT I DON'T SEE IT AS A RELIABLE WAY TO GET CREDIT, AND MOST OF IT HAVE LOTS OF FEES, ANYWAY, IF U KNOW A GOOD ONE, I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR RECOMMENDATIONS!.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: APPLY FOR STUDENT CARD EVEN IF I'M NOT A STUDENT

I hear there can be smaller cl's and possibly caps on credit lines for student cards. I would just go for a regular card.

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

You could try applying for the Citi Forward card. I don't believe its an actual "student card" but it is geared toward younger adults with shorter credit histories.

Message 3 of 14
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

CAN I APPLY FOR A STUDENT CREDIT CARD EVEN IF I'M NOT A STUDENT?. I'VE A PART TIME JOB, AND HAVE NO DEBT, THE PROBLEM IS THAT I NEED A EASY TO GET CARD TO START BUILDING CREDIT. I'VE ALSO CONSIDERED A SECURED CARD, BUT I DON'T SEE IT AS A RELIABLE WAY TO GET CREDIT, AND MOST OF IT HAVE LOTS OF FEES, ANYWAY, IF U KNOW A GOOD ONE, I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR RECOMMENDATIONS!.

I think secured cards are an excelent way to build credit.   But you need to get a good one.    I recomend Captial One secured card (not the student version).

Message 4 of 14
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

do you know what your credit is now, if you say your trying to build it... might get more useful suggestions if you we knew more

Message 5 of 14
JMN
Frequent Contributor

Depends on the bank.

Citigroup, in my experience, does require verification that you're a student. 

The bank I work for does as well.

Despite my employment in the banking industry, any and all views contained in this post are purely my own, and do not represent any financial institution, nor constitute as financial or investment guidance or advise.
Message 6 of 14
mauwow0682
Frequent Contributor

The problem you might run into that they  "might" want verfication of your student status. If they don't do that at the begining then they can do it at anytime. My suggestion those is try ing the pre-approvial link from Cap 1.

Starting Score: 620 FAKO
Current Score: FICO TU 715 (wal-mart) FICO EQ 692
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

nk about the bank Re: APPLY FOR STUDENT CARD EVEN IF I'M NOT A STUDENT

Oh, I didn't think about the bank checking if I'm really a student. Anyone had experience with this?, do you know what banks check this info?. Thanks anyway

Message 8 of 14
Ali124
Established Member

I went the secure cc route with Capital One.    It does report and I haven't noticed any large fees so far.  It's actually helped me a lot.   

Starting Score: no score
Current Score: 689
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: nk about the bank Re: APPLY FOR STUDENT CARD EVEN IF I'M NOT A STUDENT

Wachovia/Wells fargo, and 5/3 bank ask for a copy of your student id or class schedule. BoA didn't ask me for verification, but I applied for it back in 2008.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.