Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

APPing for CC's with very old charge-offs

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

APPing for CC's with very old charge-offs

Hello All,

First time poster.  Loving all the great information on this site, and the helpful suggestions from fellow members.

In general, will credit card companies approve you for a credit card if you had a charge-off with them more than 7 years ago?

How long will information like this be in their "system"?

When I was in college 20 years ago, I had a basic AMEX Green card which eventually got charged off with a $4000+ balance.

Will I ever be able to obtain one of their CC's?

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: APPing for CC's with very old charge-offs

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello All,

First time poster.  Loving all the great information on this site, and the helpful suggestions from fellow members.

In general, will credit card companies approve you for a credit card if you had a charge-off with them more than 7 years ago?

When I was in college 20 years ago, I had a basic AMEX Green card which eventually got charged off with a $4000+ balance.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forums!!!

Burning AMEX in general is not good, if you have the money to pay I would call AMEX and see if you can PIF and get registered in their Optima program (which is a second chance for prior AMEX cardholders who have settled their past debts)

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately, that's not possible anytime in the near future, especially since I didn't hit the MegaMillions last week.

Maybe in another lifetime.

Message 3 of 10
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

Prob not possible to get another CC with them if you still owe them money, even if it drops off the CR.

AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 4 of 10
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

When the charges off are deleted from your credit report ( 7.5 years).    Then you should have no problems with other companies you did not burn.

There are a lot of other choices besides AMEX.  

Message 5 of 10
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Wolf3 wrote:

When the charges off are deleted from your credit report ( 7.5 years).    Then you should have no problems with other companies you did not burn.

There are a lot of other choices besides AMEX.  

He may have other options now (Cap1)

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 10
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

I would never expect a CC to give me credit if I burned them before.

AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 7 of 10
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Amex doesn't forget.  If you pay them back they will often give you a second chance but I don't think I've ever seen anyone get back in without paying first.  Citi also blacklists and I believe Chase does as well but I'm not 100% sure on that one.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would rather pay Amex the $4k and start all over with them than go with Cap1.

I've just about had it with them.  My CC with them has a $59 AF which usually was comped off until last year.  I've never been given a CLI (current $1300), and my APR has risen from 12.99% to 22.99% for no good reason.  I've never had a late payment.

If I don't get this year's fee waived, it's good riddance.

Also, I presumed I've burned my bridge with AMEX.  I wasn't expecting to open another acct with them.  Just asked the question for my personal edification.

Message 9 of 10
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello All,

Thanks in advance!

I'm actually curious about the same thing except with me it is Bank of America. Had an account with them that charged off in 2002 when I was 19 and didn't know any better. Have since paid the balance and it's off my report. Do they blacklist as well?

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.