Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

APR: Mail offer vs Pre-qual

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

APR: Mail offer vs Pre-qual

I got an offer in the mail for a Slate with 17.99% (really should be 18.24%). I checked the pre-qual and it's at 23.24% (I'm assuming this is because the fraud CO might still be in their systems somewhere, I'm not really sure. It's approaching a month since I've had the CO removed from my CR).

I'm not looking to apply. I have no need or desire for the Slate, but in cases like these, if I were to apply which APR would I likely be approved for? Just curious. Thanks myFico-ers!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: APR: Mail offer vs Pre-qual

Whichever one you apply under.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 6
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

My online pre quals were always the max, while the mailed offers were lower. I used the mailed offer. If want to cold app, use different computer, browser, should probably get the same offer as mailed offer. Think the DC might come a little higher apr.
Signature needs updating
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks guys!
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I dont know why it has to be so strange but it is. 90 percent of the time with Chase and Citi your mail offer APRs can be lower than online.  Especially with Citi.  Citi for some reason likes for folks to check for preapprovals. Then the longer you wait the better the offer comes in.  For example my relative shows 20 and above for citi and chase. Yet mail offers for chase are 17.99-18.99 and with citi they are 14.99-15.99.  Kinda strange!  Also longer no interest for citi too.

Message 5 of 6
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Do not rely on prequals.  There's no guarantee that you'd get either. You'd get whatever your credit proifle qualifies for.  If your profile at time of application has not siginificantly changed since the SP used for the prequal then you would probably get the APR on that prequal.

If you want to dig into this then you'd need to pull your reports directly from the CRA's to see when the SP's were performed.  However, you wouldn't be able to determine how your reports have changed since the SP's unless you happen to have reports or access to report data from when the SP's were performed.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.