Regular Contributor
ramblin_wreck08

APR reduction. My experience

Just wanted to share my experience getting an APR reduction in hopes that it helps some of you.

Background:
I've had a Citi Forward card since '09 and a Citi Dividend World MasterCard since '11. I have never missed a payment with them and have grown the relationship over the years. My 15 month, no interest promo on the Dividend just ran out so I decided to check my rate. To my surprise it was 16.99%. I have 15.74% on the Forward and just 9.99% on my PenFed card, so 16.99% seemed incredibly high. I checked current rates and found they offer as low as 12.99% on this card. Since I'm about to by an engagement ring and will have to leave some of it on a card, I wanted some of that.

The call:
I called in and told the rep that I wanted an APR reduction. I went on to explain that I have been a customer for 3+ years with a good track record - never missed a payment. I also told her that the Dividend card rate I currently have is 7% higher than what I have through another issuer (true - PenFed). She put me on hold for a minute and came back saying she found an offer on my account to reduce it to 14.99%. Did I want to do that? I said yes, thanked her, and that was that.

Result:
While I was hoping for 12.99%, I figured 14.99% is a start. I could have hit the $50 cash back threshold with a ring purchase on the card, but will have to place it on the PenFed for the 9.99% rate. At 12.99% I could have justified it for the month or two I held it on the card, as it will probably take a year for me to hit the threshold now (I hardly use the card anymore). At 14.99%, I don't think it's worth it. Anyway, just wanted to share.

Good luck to everyone who is thinking about asking for an APR reduction!

What's in my wallet:

Left to right:
NPSL ($10k approved)
$5k (EMV - Chip & PIN)
$7k (Visa Sig + EMV)
$7.5k (WEMC)

Transunion FICO: 709 (8/13/12) -> 740 (9/24/12)
Credit Karma: 772 (11/24/13)
Credit Sesame: 755 (11/5/13)
Valued Contributor
Epcot

Re: APR reduction. My experience

Congrats on the reduction! Did they say if it was a permanent or temporary reduction? I have a Citi account at 29.99% despite perfect payment history. Have been thinking of trying for a reduction but as long as I PIF it really hasn't been my priority.

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 816 EX 780 TU 823
App free since 4/11/13
Regular Contributor
ramblin_wreck08

Re: APR reduction. My experience

It's a permanent reduction. At 29.99% I'd definitely say it's worth a shot. You may not need to carry a balance now, but you never know when the time might come! I wasn't expecting to but then my DGF came along an it's worth the interest to put a ring on her finger!

What's in my wallet:

Left to right:
NPSL ($10k approved)
$5k (EMV - Chip & PIN)
$7k (Visa Sig + EMV)
$7.5k (WEMC)

Transunion FICO: 709 (8/13/12) -> 740 (9/24/12)
Credit Karma: 772 (11/24/13)
Credit Sesame: 755 (11/5/13)

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}