Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

APR reduction can be done

tag
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: APR reduction can be done

@Anonymous wrote:

One thing to be careful about when deciding whether to ask for APR reductions. My husband has 810 FICO, never any negatives in all of his 30 years of credit, and very high credit limits on all of his major cc's. I helped him call around to ask for APR reduction, and Citi and one other bank (maybe BoA?) REDUCED his credit limit because they felt he had too much available credit. That's an awful thing to do to someone who has a squeaky clean history, just because they saw that the other credit grantors had given him super high limits (guess their attitude was, let the other lenders take the risk).

He's had all of the cards for many years and had a great relationship with all of the lenders, so he doesn't even have any inquiries or new apps. Nothing like that at all. Never a late payment either.

He was really upset and I was sorry that I had even suggested trying to get his APR reduced because he was such a great customer. And he has a 30 year positive credit history. Just something to keep in mind that it could come back to bite you. Think about it before deciding.

I doubt the APR reduction in and of itself had anything to do with the CLD -- perhaps it simply caused a review of accounts and they noticed the huge limits.

One has to be careful with CLIs for this reason. You want to have a useable limit, yes. You want to be able to show low util. But do not go crazy with CLIs. Credit vs income is always a factor and some people ignore it. That's why I think the folks shooting for "the 100k club" are misguided, but that's just my opinion. You should not be shooting for some arbitrary high limit. You need what you need. Your income only allows you to spend so much each month, beyond which point additional CLIs are not only unecessary but can cause your account to be reviewed more often (larger limit = larger risk).

My BCE for example is at 15k as is my Discover. Could I probably get them increased? Sure. But in no way shape or form do I need additional credit on them, and the larger they get, the more likely I am to be closely watched; my income does not justify me needing larger limits (really, they could be 10k or 8k and I'd be fine!). I know the mantra here is often CLI CLI CLI but be careful.

Anyway, sorry to hear about what happened.

Message 21 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

kdm- they did it right there on the phone when we asked for the APR. Didn't even give him the APR reduction either.

They do regular account reviews and have for the past 30 years, and this has never happened before. He's had the high limits for at least 14 years now.

Message 22 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also keep in mind he has never ONE asked for a CLI. These cards started him with very high limits because he has a very high income and great credit.

Over the years, they maybe automatically gave him a few, but none for at least 12 years or so. He's never asked for one CLI.

Message 23 of 31
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

kdm- they did it right there on the phone when we asked for the APR. Didn't even give him the APR reduction either.

They do regular account reviews and have for the past 30 years, and this has never happened before. He's had the high limits for at least 14 years now.

Such is life with credit cards sadly. By and large companies do not care how long you have been with them, spotless history, etc. If something in their computer flags you, you get CLD.

Humans can sometimes override such things but unfortunately it's not always the case.

And I wasn't saying he asked for CLI - more making a general point that everyone here pushes CLI CLI CLI, and there can be times it isn't wise, that's all Smiley Happy

Message 24 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

The real killer is that his income is $285k, and he doesn't keep the cards at high limits. The other cards did not CLD him when we asked for the PR redux but Citi and Boa did. Never liked Citi myself and I won't have cards with them.

Message 25 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

I meant his utilization isn't that high, to clarify

Message 26 of 31
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The real killer is that his income is $285k, and he doesn't keep the cards at high limits. The other cards did not CLD him when we asked for the PR redux but Citi and Boa did. Never liked Citi myself and I won't have cards with them.

With that income, a CLD should hardly even matter. Realistically he doesn't even need credit cards!

Now you're getting into the "well they CLD so I won't use them" which is a dangerous trap as any lender can CLD, so avoiding Citi won't help in that regard.

Message 27 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, I  understand you meant it as a general point- no worries.

Message 28 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually, he does need the credit cards - 2 elderly parents in long term care and I've had some health issues too. So it's not as high as it looks. Smiley Happy

Message 29 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

no one needs them but we all use them to make money. Smiley Wink if you "need" them then you're screwing yourself
Message 30 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.