Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ARE YOU KIDDING ME CHASE

tag
smc733
Valued Contributor

ARE YOU KIDDING ME CHASE

22.9% APR on my new Freedom card?  Bye-bye, sockdrawer bound this card is...

Citi it is for my primary, Discover as a backup, until my 4506 clears and hopefully my Zync comes in, then Discover will join BofA and Chase in the sockdrawer.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
OnTheRebound
Established Contributor

Re: ARE YOU KIDDING ME CHASE

Hey, don't feel bad. My wife's Freedom is 29.24%.  As long as we pay in full, who cares? I'm just curious where it would go if I happen to be late one time. I'm not planning to test it though.

Amex BCE $11.1 / Citi Diamond Preferred WMC $12K / Citi Double Cash WMC $3.8K / Comenity Total Rewards Visa $2.5K / Citi Home Depot $5K / AU- Amex BCP $12K / Chase Freedom Visa $11014.00 / PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature $6K / GE Lowes $10K
myFico Scores on 10/03/2014
Eq 798 / Exp 811 / Trans 814
CCT Fico 08 on 1/3/16 - Trans 786 / Exp 793 / Eq 797
Message 2 of 29
smc733
Valued Contributor

@OnTheRebound wrote:

Hey, don't feel bad. My wife's Freedom is 29.24%.  As long as we pay in full, who cares? I'm just curious where it would go if I happen to be late one time. I'm not planning to test it though.

I know, but it bothers me to know I'm being offered pitiful terms.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 3 of 29
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@smc733 wrote:

Citi it is for my primary, Discover as a backup, until my 4506 clears and hopefully my Zync comes in, then Discover will join BofA and Chase in the sockdrawer.

What matters more to you, the rewards or the APR? I'm assuming that you got the card for the rewards. Rewards cards always have higher APR's --it's how they pay for the rewards.

I've made a ton of cashback money on this thing, especially with the 5% on groceries that applied over the last 6 months. I don't know about you, but I don't let pride get in the way of a good deal. Smiley Wink

I just checked my account, and my APR is 19.24%. It used to be 20-something. If I ever need to carry a balance, I just won't do it on a rewards card. * shrugs *

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 29
fused
Moderator Emeritus

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

I just checked my account, and my APR is 19.24%. It used to be 20-something. If I ever need to carry a balance, I just won't do it on a rewards card. * shrugs *

Exactly, make the card work for you!!!!!! I do understand the OP's displeasure, tho.Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 29
andre181
Established Contributor

I know how you feel. Mine is 24.24%!

It get one small purchase every 3-4 months and back in the SD it goes.

Discover IT $35K | FNBO Visa $30K | Cash+ Visa Sig $19.5K | Southwest Premier $16K | Priceline $15K | Citi Forward $14.3K | US Bank Plat $14K | Commerce Bank $13K | CSP $13K | CSR $10K | Sallie Mae World MC $10K | Lowe’s Consumer 10K | BoA Cash Rewards 1-2-3 Sig $7.5K | Fidelity Visa $7K | Citi Double Cash $6.5K | WF Cash Back Visa $5.4K | Capital One Cash Rewards $5K | AMEX BCE $3.9K | Freedom $2.5K | Younkers/Comenity $2.4K | Kohl’s 1.5K | Target $1.4K | EX FICO (from AMEX): 768, TU FICO (from Discover): 797, AAoA: 4.4 years
Message 6 of 29
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@fused wrote:

Exactly, make the card work for you!!!!!! I do understand the OP's displeasure, tho.Smiley Happy

Oh, sure, I do too.

My belief is that lenders are looking for suckers that will start carrying balances and pay those nice fat APR's. I just figure that they don't know me very well. Smiley Wink

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 29
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Oh, sure, I do too.

My belief is that lenders are looking for suckers that will start carrying balances and pay those nice fat APR's. I just figure that they don't know me very well. Smiley Wink

Ok, don't get me started on how much I despise banks.Smiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 29
vish1
Valued Contributor

@smc733 wrote:

I am sorry if I sound like playing Devil's Advocate yet again, but I am curious about your credit. I am not saying you have anything wrong with your credit, I am only trying to understand more as I have seen you having trouble with zync approval and now chase gave you terrible terms. If you don't mind, can you please share more about your credit?

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 9 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

e doing Re: ARE YOU KIDDING ME CHASE

What do you actually want from a new card?  Low APR?  High CL?  Higher overall CL across all cards?  Better rewards?  Figure out your goals, and apply for what you actually want.  Save yourself the disappointment.

You've basically got four 1% cards, at least two of which (not sure about Citi) have 5% rotating categories that are the same as each other anyway.  And the Amazon.  So unless you're only goal is to add more cards, then you need to sit down and figure out what would actually make sense for you to add to your collection which won't end up in a sock drawer.

I'll give you an example, because I think many people do the same thing.  I basically had the same cards as you last year, give or take.  So when i added two cards last August, they were specifically NPSL cards, so I'd have "hidden" limits.  Last week I added a Penfed Cash Back for the 5% gas, as I only have the Discover/Chase/Citi with rotating 5% gas in the summer, but the same period for all three.  Worthless!  I added Navy Platinum non rewards because if I ever need to carry a balance, I now have a 7.74% APR card to do it on, and it has no BT fees.  I plan on adding a PSECU card just for the 9.99% cash advances.  Never taken one out before, but you never know. 

Think about what you're applying for.  Chase Freedom offers you nothing in terms of different rewards vs what you already have.  I can only guess that you're just adding cards to add them...and there's nothing wrong with that.  But most of them will end up in the sock drawer that way.  Why not add PSECU?  You're already a member judging by your EX FICO, so...they give high CL's, and low APR's.  There ya go.

Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.