cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ARR's on all credit cards increasing. Need a solution.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

ARR's on all credit cards increasing. Need a solution.

I have a total of 11 credit cards with an approx balance of $31,000.00. Below is a list of my current card information:

Juniper - Balance $2,526.00  (risen to 11.00)        Capitol One #1- Balance $882.00 (risen to 23.15)

Chase#1 - Balance $2,400.00 @ 5.62                       HSN#1(now chase) -Balance $155.00 (risen to 27.64)

HSN#2 (now chase)- Balance $2,083.00 @ 12.99       Chase#2 - Balance $8252 @ 3.05

HouseHold#1- Balance $571.00 @14.90                   HouseHold #2 - Balance $379.00 @18.90

Citi Bank - Balance $6,017.00 @14.99 (from 3.99)   Capitol One#2 - Balance $3,018 @17.9 (risen from 9.0)

Capitol One #3 - Balance $298.00  (risen  to 17.9)

I pay out an adverage of $758.00 per month (a little more than minimum pymt) for all credit cards. In addition I  have a home that is valued at approx 120,000.00 (value has gone down in our county) and I owe approx $66,000.00 (pymt $645.00 -includes escrow @6.5). I also have an auto loan with a balance of $19,000 (pymt $406.00- @9.5). I currenlty work 2 jobs and am pay check to pay check but am currenlty able to pay all cards early and more than the mininum. Suze stated on her show that this type of thing may happen with credit card companies going up on APR's even for people that pay on time. I need to pay these cards off. The credit card companies are very gracious when they stated that I could decline the new terms and keep my "current-low" APR but would have to close the account. Closing these accounts would destroy my FICO score. I thought about refinancing my home and pulling what ever equity out to cover certain cards but am hesitant because I have a high dept/ratio at this time. If I do refinance, I would need to use the $2,000.00 emergency funds I have to have the home painted (chipping paint etc that was mentioned by appraiser at last assessment). I was wondering if I would do better leaving the cards open (with the new really high APR's) and using the $2,000.00 to pay down certain cards. The only bright side is that my second job is as a server and we are about to make really good money for the next 4 months. I only need about 1,400.00 per month from that money to add to 1st job's income to meet my fianancial needs for the home. I started to check into a credit counseling agency but found you guys and felt better asking you what to do since you seem to have similiar experiences. HELP!  Also,  I ran my credit reports but have not had time to review them. I did not notice a FICO score?

Message Edited by Scamp on 03-31-2009 09:18 AM
Message 1 of 14
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: ARR's on all credit cards increasing. Need a solution.

knowledge -

There are many schools of thought on best ways to approach debt reduction on a budget.  When you can't PIF because money is a factor, you must analyze the best strategy to achieve your end result, which is debt free as soon as possible.

With that said, I have done rough calculated comparisons on your debt portfolio, comparing the "pay highest apr" vs. "pay lowest balances first" and with consideration to your emergency fund.

I am pretty good with math, but this is still just my opinion.  The following factors are part of my consideration:

1.  Your highest cc balances  are actually your lower APR cards.

2.  You have several "close to paid off accounts"

3.  CC's have "minimum payments" regardless of balance, meaning proportionately speaking, as your balance gets lower, the required minimum becomes a larger percentage in relationship to the balance owed.  EX:  Owe $100 and minimum payment might be $20 and with a balance of $500 the minimum is still $20.

4.  You have steady income currently

5.  You have available cash (emergency fund) to work with

So, because your lowest balance cards are also mostly your higher APR cards, you get the best of both worlds for a pay off plan....you get to attack the lowest balances and highest APR's simultaneously.

MY ADVICE:

1.  Use your $2000 emergency fund to pay off:
     HSN#1 - $155

Capitol One - $882

HouseHold#1 - $571

HouseHolde #2 - $379

2.  Use the normal "paycheck derived" minimum payments for the above accounts, plus the normal payment of the Capitol One #3 to pay off or as close as possible pay off Capitol One #3 - $298

You now have 5 accounts PIF which are some of your higher APR's.  Each month going forward, you divert what you normally paid to these 5 accounts (minimums plus a litte) to your highest APR card which is Capitol One#2 - $3018.

The reason this hybrid approach is best is that because from a cash flow stand point, the minimum required payments on low balance accounts begin to represent a higher payment than the savings derived from paying down higher APR accounts.

Next, you really need to have a SPRING CLEAN GARAGE SALE and Ebay listing sale.  This is the best time of year and we all got "stuff" that we don't use, don't want, don't need or is a luxury that you can really do without.  It is amazing what one man's trash (not really trash, just the saying I'm using) is worth in treasure to other people.  Many people raise hundreds and even a few thousand this way.

With the money from your garage sale/ebay fest you can do 2 things:  put toward emergency fund or aggressively pay down more on your credit cards.

Ordinarily I would say put some or all toward replenishing at least some of the emergency fund.  But in your case you have adequate credit sources that you could tap them in an emergency, if necessary.  So you can decide which makes you more comfortable: some or all to emergency or put all to debt and plow ahead.

Then you need to make sure you have a written budget.  You need to know what money you have coming in and where it is going.  And then eliminate, for the time being, those non-essentials and luxuries that you can (going out to eat, impulse buy, etc.)  Concentrate on increasing your debt reduction and make that your priority.

Also DON'T use the credit cards for anything you won't PIF at statement, so that you don't incurr additional interest payments and debt liabilities.

This is aggressive and you will have to find enjoyment in the "free things in life" but the sense of relief and freedom you will gain will be well worth it.

Message 7 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

I noticed you seem to be having some trouble posting. It is possible to edit your own post if you have posted an incomplete message. To edit your post, go to the post. To the right you'll see "Options." Click on "Options" and select "Edit Message" from the drop-down menu. If you have accidentally posted a duplicate message, you can use the “Report Abuse to a Moderator” link to asking the moderation team to remove one for you. To find this link, go to the duplicate post, click on "Options," then select "Report Abuse to a Moderator" from the drop-down menu. If you need any help with anything, let me know. Thanks for your contribution to the FICO Forums!
Message 2 of 14
ralbusta
Frequent Contributor

PIF.
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

hi Knowledge-is-power,

Welcome to Myfico!!  This is a great place to learn about credit improvement.

At this point and time, with the economic conditions being this bad, many good customers (including myself) are finding that the banks are rate-jacking and lowering your Credit Limits. From what I understand this is because of the whole debt ratio of the banks (somebody explain further if need be please... I dont do well with Finance explanations).

This means that the banks have to cover their assets and increase our APRs.

The one thing you can do is Pay your Credit Card in full before the statement end date - and this will not charge you an interest. (Again, correct me if the banks charge a daily APR)

The ideal thing to do is lower your CC util to be between 1% - 9% and you will see a big increase in your FICO scores - that determine how much APR you will be paying.

Hang in there. We will all get through these times.

Message 4 of 14
YoungEntrepeneur
Established Contributor

If you're in debt and the interest rates keep rising, work on paying the down account with the highest interest rate first.
Message Edited by YoungEntrepeneur on 03-31-2009 08:49 AM
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can either pay min on the cards and use whatever extra money you have to pay down the balances with the highest APRs first or you could use the Snowballing effect (?) -  where you pay down the card with the lowest balance due to zero and move on tho the next lowest.

In your case for the snowballing effect, you should pay the cards in this order:

HSN#1(now chase) -Balance $155.00 (risen to 27.64)
Capital One #3 - Balance $298.00  (risen  to 17.9)
HouseHold #2 - Balance $379.00 @18.90
HouseHold#1- Balance $571.00 @14.90  
Capital One #1- Balance $882.00 (risen to 23.15)
HSN#2 (now chase)- Balance $2,083.00 @ 12.99   
Chase#1 - Balance $2,400.00 @ 5.62
Juniper - Balance $2,526.00  (risen to 11.00)
Capital One#2 - Balance $3,018 @17.9 (risen from 9.0)
Citi Bank - Balance $6,017.00 @14.99 (from 3.99)
Chase#2 - Balance $8252 @ 3.05

Again: You SHOULD keep paying the min amt due on all credit cards and use the extra money towards the first one on the list and continue paying down to zero through the list.

Or if you want to pay the card with the highest APR first, the order should be:

HSN#1(now chase) -Balance $155.00 (APR 27.64)
Capital One #1- Balance $882.00 (APR 23.15)
HouseHold #2 - Balance $379.00 (APR 18.90)
Capital One#2 - Balance $3,018 (APR17.9) - you should pay this down first before the other capital one at the same APR because the balance due is greater, and therefore, the amount you pay in interest will be more monthly.
Capital One #3 - Balance $298.00  (APR 17.9)
Citi Bank - Balance $6,017.00 (APR14.99)  - you should pay this down first before the other card HouseHold#1 at the same APR because the balance due is greater, and therefore, the amount you pay in interest will be more
monthly.
HouseHold#1- Balance $571.00 (APR 14.90)
HSN#2 (now chase)- Balance $2,083.00 (APR 12.99)
Juniper - Balance $2,526.00 (APR 11.00)
Chase#1 - Balance $2,400.00 (APR 5.62)
Chase#2 - Balance $8252 (APR 3.05)

All we can do is provide helpful suggestions. You should try not to use your cards until you have paid down your util to be between 1-9%.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong as I have recently begun repairing my own credit and therefore might be incorrect in some aspects.

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

knowledge -

There are many schools of thought on best ways to approach debt reduction on a budget.  When you can't PIF because money is a factor, you must analyze the best strategy to achieve your end result, which is debt free as soon as possible.

With that said, I have done rough calculated comparisons on your debt portfolio, comparing the "pay highest apr" vs. "pay lowest balances first" and with consideration to your emergency fund.

I am pretty good with math, but this is still just my opinion.  The following factors are part of my consideration:

1.  Your highest cc balances  are actually your lower APR cards.

2.  You have several "close to paid off accounts"

3.  CC's have "minimum payments" regardless of balance, meaning proportionately speaking, as your balance gets lower, the required minimum becomes a larger percentage in relationship to the balance owed.  EX:  Owe $100 and minimum payment might be $20 and with a balance of $500 the minimum is still $20.

4.  You have steady income currently

5.  You have available cash (emergency fund) to work with

So, because your lowest balance cards are also mostly your higher APR cards, you get the best of both worlds for a pay off plan....you get to attack the lowest balances and highest APR's simultaneously.

MY ADVICE:

1.  Use your $2000 emergency fund to pay off:
     HSN#1 - $155

Capitol One - $882

HouseHold#1 - $571

HouseHolde #2 - $379

2.  Use the normal "paycheck derived" minimum payments for the above accounts, plus the normal payment of the Capitol One #3 to pay off or as close as possible pay off Capitol One #3 - $298

You now have 5 accounts PIF which are some of your higher APR's.  Each month going forward, you divert what you normally paid to these 5 accounts (minimums plus a litte) to your highest APR card which is Capitol One#2 - $3018.

The reason this hybrid approach is best is that because from a cash flow stand point, the minimum required payments on low balance accounts begin to represent a higher payment than the savings derived from paying down higher APR accounts.

Next, you really need to have a SPRING CLEAN GARAGE SALE and Ebay listing sale.  This is the best time of year and we all got "stuff" that we don't use, don't want, don't need or is a luxury that you can really do without.  It is amazing what one man's trash (not really trash, just the saying I'm using) is worth in treasure to other people.  Many people raise hundreds and even a few thousand this way.

With the money from your garage sale/ebay fest you can do 2 things:  put toward emergency fund or aggressively pay down more on your credit cards.

Ordinarily I would say put some or all toward replenishing at least some of the emergency fund.  But in your case you have adequate credit sources that you could tap them in an emergency, if necessary.  So you can decide which makes you more comfortable: some or all to emergency or put all to debt and plow ahead.

Then you need to make sure you have a written budget.  You need to know what money you have coming in and where it is going.  And then eliminate, for the time being, those non-essentials and luxuries that you can (going out to eat, impulse buy, etc.)  Concentrate on increasing your debt reduction and make that your priority.

Also DON'T use the credit cards for anything you won't PIF at statement, so that you don't incurr additional interest payments and debt liabilities.

This is aggressive and you will have to find enjoyment in the "free things in life" but the sense of relief and freedom you will gain will be well worth it.

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

txjohn,

You have no idea how much your information has "blessed" me. I was about to have a nervous breakdown and really had no one with any "financial knowledge" that I would trust to speak with. I really appreciate the amount of time and study that you have taken in order to assess my situation and the various options that you have presented. Thank you for breaking things down for me. By explaining your reasons for the various options you presented allows me to fully understand why  you suggested it and helped me to understand  how it would benefit me. I am sooooooo grateful for finding this site and for joining this forum. I am so appreciative for all of your help. THANKS A MILLION!

p.s. And in my opinion, you are "pretty good" at this stuff!

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the help!
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks!
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.