Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ARRGGHH! Need some Advice on New Cards I think

tag
Crashem
Valued Contributor

ARRGGHH! Need some Advice on New Cards I think

I recently found out my HSBC card was moving to Capital One.  HSBC is basically a 2% cash back card, but I expect the HSBC card to lose that 2%.  Also, with the US Bank Cash+ nerf, my whole rewards scheme is messed up.  Haven't really dealt with credit stuff in over a year.  So I am looking for recommendations how I can fill in the holes in my cards.  Looking for recommendations on the best cash back or cash back equivalent cards.

Here is my current thinking:

1) If Capital One nerfs my HSBC card (which I assume), I will PC to Quicksilver which is 1.5%.  Already called them and asked them about it as it is unclear from Cap One website, if I have been nerfed already.

2) Given my current cards, I think I need some replacements if they exist.  I especially would like a restaurant card.

So last I checked the best remaining cash advance/cash advance equivalent cards (remember it has been a year):

1) Fidelity AMEX/VISA: 2% or tiering to 2% so marginal improvement over my current cards

2) JCB Maruki Card: Tiering to 3%, but acceptance is somewhat limited and pain in the arse for application process (can anyone speak to it?).

Let me know what else might work given the cards I have currently.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
manwoot
Frequent Contributor

Re: ARRGGHH! Need some Advice on New Cards I think

1) If Capital One nerfs my HSBC card (which I assume), I will PC to Quicksilver which is 1.5%.  Already called them and asked them about it as it is unclear from Cap One website, if I have been nerfed already.

2) Given my current cards, I think I need some replacements if they exist.  I especially would like a restaurant card.

Remember that your CSP is essentially a 2% restaurant card.

Message 2 of 8
Crashem
Valued Contributor

@manwoot wrote:

Remember that your CSP is essentially a 2% restaurant card.

Yeah.  The COSTCO card is a 2% cash back card as well at restaurants.  Thats why the Fidelity AMEX/VISA won't really be much improved but I guess it would be good to get 2% across the board.  Hoping someone knows some better cards.

Message 3 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

And your Cash Plus can be 5% restaurants up to the $2K per quarter cap.  Most/all 5% cards are capped in spend or time e.g. TD has a card that is uncapped 5% for restaurants (and a bunch of other things) but only for 6 months.

Message 4 of 8
sr383
Regular Contributor

I think Fidelity abandoned the tiered system--I believe it pays 2% off the bat, now.

Costco TrueEarningsSallie Mae MasterCardDiscover itUS Bank Cash+Chase SlateBlue Cash EverydayFidelity VisaTU-803/EQ-808/EX-800
Message 5 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@sr383 wrote:

I think Fidelity abandoned the tiered system--I believe it pays 2% off the bat, now.

True for the Amex.  Think Visa is still tiered.

Message 6 of 8
Crashem
Valued Contributor

No other cash back cards sitting at greater than 2%?

Message 7 of 8
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@Crashem wrote:

No other cash back cards sitting at greater than 2%?

For a restaurant card? Well, you already know the answer to that. Get a second US Bank Cash+ card, set its 5% categories to be Fast Food, and Restaurants, and thus the problem is solved.

And get a SallieMae World Mastercard for 5% grocery, 5% gas, 5% bookstore. The spending caps are low on the SallieMae, but still a useful card.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.