Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AT&T Universal Card: Options ?

tag
n777ua
Established Contributor

AT&T Universal Card: Options ?

My mom has a AT&T Universal Citi Mastercard with a $27,500 limit.  She's had the account opened since 1994.  She's the type that hates any type of banking or change,and outright refuses to app for any new cards.  So here's my question, will Citi PC to another proudct without an HP ? The only benefit on the Citi card that I know of is 30 free minutes a month and a couple free calls to directory assistance (certainly a few benefits left over from the early 90s).  She does earn TYP, but I don't know at what ratio, which I finally talked her into using for some GCs.

Any ideas on what I could recommend for her to do ? Her FICO through the Citi site is 819.

Cheers

Card Benefits

About $215,000 total credit among 11 cards
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: AT&T Universal Card: Options ?

@n777ua wrote:

My mom has a AT&T Universal Citi Mastercard with a $27,500 limit.  She's had the account opened since 1994.  She's the type that hates any type of banking or change,and outright refuses to app for any new cards.  So here's my question, will Citi PC to another proudct without an HP ? The only benefit on the Citi card that I know of is 30 free minutes a month and a couple free calls to directory assistance (certainly a few benefits left over from the early 90s).  She does earn TYP, but I don't know at what ratio, which I finally talked her into using for some GCs.

Any ideas on what I could recommend for her to do ? Her FICO through the Citi site is 819.

Cheers

Card Benefits

I don't think you should recommend anything to her, unless she's asking for the advice.

If she's asking for the advice, then ask her what she would like to have: points, miles, cash back, low fees, etc.

Once we know that she wants a new card, and know what she's looking for, then we can answer the question.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 2 of 15
n777ua
Established Contributor

She said points or cash back; but only if she "doesn't have to fill out a mess of paperwork" or "have credit pulled"

Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 15
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@n777ua wrote:

She said points or cash back; but only if she "doesn't have to fill out a mess of paperwork" or "have credit pulled"

Smiley Wink

So forget it; the online applications aren't much paperwork,, but they pretty much all will do a hard pull.

If she changes her mind and is willing to have 1 hard pull I would suggest Chase Freedom, Amex Blue Cash, or Citibank Double Cash

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 4 of 15
Kutuzov
Frequent Contributor

She seems to be doing pretty good with that score, I mean 819 is nothing to sneeze about. If she is happy with what she got and doesn't ask for help why do you want her to change?

If you really want her to have a better product, maybe see what her spending habits are, and what type of cc will please her the most. Does she likes to travel? Or she prefers to go shopping? (Miles cc vs cash back cc), etc. Unless you find her a cc beforehand I doubt she'll do any changes. She ain't a Fico freak she is a normal Mom, and be happy with what you have, God Bless her.

Gardening since 03/25/2016. Discover FICO 705 (4/21/16).
Discover It 2000, Barclay Ring 7100, Capital One QS 7000, Amazon sc 6000, Chase AARP 2500, Barclay Rewards 500
Message 5 of 15
Kutuzov
Frequent Contributor

@n777ua wrote:

Smiley Wink

Show her the advantage of the Doble cash back over the Mamoth she got, is the same bank if you are lucky they might PC it. Also as it is the same bank cs etc will remain the same and that might help with her.

Gardening since 03/25/2016. Discover FICO 705 (4/21/16).
Discover It 2000, Barclay Ring 7100, Capital One QS 7000, Amazon sc 6000, Chase AARP 2500, Barclay Rewards 500
Message 6 of 15
tcbofade
Super Contributor

I remember that card.  Once upon a time, I wanted that card soooooo badly...lol....  things change.  Smiley Happy

I'm with the others.  If your Mom WANTS to change it, please do help her pick something that will work better for her.  If she's happy with what she has, let her be.  With an 819 FICO score, she's doing just fine. 

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 7 of 15
n777ua
Established Contributor

She is fine; it works for her.  I've dropped it.

Thanks everyone. Cheers.

Message 8 of 15
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Well, a product change with Citi doesn't require paperwork or a hard inquiry. You just ring in, say what card you want, and the change happens right away. You get he new card within two weeks and you're all set to earn on the new rewards structure.

Message 9 of 15
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@navigatethis12 wrote:

Well, a product change with Citi doesn't require paperwork or a hard inquiry. You just ring in, say what card you want, and the change happens right away. You get he new card within two weeks and you're all set to earn on the new rewards structure.

+1

From the OP's first post, I thought the actual question was what the card could be PC'd to as well.  That's about as easy as it gets.  Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.