Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ATM Fee Free Accounts

tag
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

ATM Fee Free Accounts

Is there any bank or cu that offers a debit card / ATM that does not charge for atm withdrawls and also reimburse any other bank's atm fees? I am trying to teach my 17 year old on how to save from atm fees. For getting $20.00 from BOA account she incurred total $4.75 in ATM Fees.
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
mt2va
Established Contributor

Re: ATM Fee Free Accounts

I can't think of any off hand but a lot of CU allow you to use any CU ATM without penalty.  I'm surprised as big as BofA is that she can't find ATMs that are easier for her to access or has she considered switching to a bank/CU that is more convenient??
Starting Scores 10/12: EQ 460 (FICO)/TU 502 (FAKO)/EX 474 (FAKO)
(7/14): EQ 572 (FICO)/TU 624 (FICO)/ EX 612 (FICO)

Current (2016): EQ 605 (FICO)/TU 657 (FICO)/EX 646 (FICO)

Message 2 of 14
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

USAA does:

Help your teen save money

* No monthly service fees and no minimum balance required.
* Use any ATM nationwide for free — we reimburse fees the other banks charge.1
* Free rewards debit card 2 - earn cash back or points toward cool stuff like iPods®, DVD players and more.3
* Free overdraft protection

1 USAA does not charge a fee for the first 10 ATM withdrawals and refunds up to $15 in other banks' ATM usage fees each month. A 1% foreign transaction fee applies to withdrawals outside the United States.

2 Earn 1 point for every $2 debit card purchase. Select "credit" at checkout; PIN-based purchases do not earn points. Restrictions apply. See USAA Total Rewards Program Terms and Conditions.

3 iPod is a registered trademark of Apple Computer, Inc. All rights reserved. Apple® is not a participant or sponsor of this promotion.

4 iPhone is a registered trademark of Apple Inc.

https://www.usaa.com/inet/ent_utils/McStaticPages?key=youth_checking_main

Same on the regular checking.

eta: I can't keep track of the ever-changing eligibility levels at USAA, but I'm reasonably sure that they opened up checking and savings to those who wouldn't normally meet membership requirements for the full range of products that they have.
Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 11-07-2009 07:04 AM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 14
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

USAA checking and savings accounts are available to anybody.
Message 4 of 14
wajj
Contributor

I did this for my kids.  They both have teen checking accounts from USAA with debit cards (moved them over from Discover's Current).

Anyone can open USAA's checking, savings, and invenstment products.  It's the credit/loan and insurance side that is restricted.  Only problem I had was that I had to call their CS to get my kids added to my account so I could open their checking accounts.  But it was a painless process -- USAA's CS has been great for me.

Message 5 of 14
nicemann
Established Contributor

Not sure where you live but Compass Bank also does rebate the fees.

• No fee to use another bank’s ATM
    With this feature, BBVA Compass will not charge you a fee if you use another bank’s ATM.
  • Rebates of other banks’ ATM fees
    With this feature, BBVA Compass will rebate the ATM fees another bank might charge you when you withdraw money. Learn more about ATM fee rebates.

http://www.bbvacompass.com/index.html

Message 6 of 14
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

I opened the account usaa for my teen and funded the account. Currently she has investment account with etrade and I am surprised etrade does not offer some thing like this. I could not open custodial checking account. They never mailed the application form they said they would mail to me. I guess I'll move out her investment accounts from etrade to usaa,
Message 7 of 14
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

You might want to evaluate USAA's investment products first. They're not all that varied. Although I guess you can use their brokerage services; hadn't thought of that --never mind!

I just have some of their investment products in my Roth. The GNMA bond fund is a champ. It kept going at about 8% through the worst of the stock market adventures. Others are a bit shakier. (All my other retirement accounts are elsewhere; this is just some of my fun money.)

Welcome to USAA!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Alliant CU belongs to several fee-free ATM networks, one of which is Allpoint. Here in the Northeast, you can find Allpoint network ATMs in 7-Eleven stores, CVS & Walgreens drug stores & Stop & Shop supermarkets - just to name a few.

ING Direct's Electric Orange checking account is also associated with Allpoint, although this account pays a much lower interest rate than Alliant's checking account.

Message 9 of 14
laz98
Senior Contributor

does your bank not have many atm's?  i hardly ever pull out cash, but when i need to, i just use a chase atm.  here, there are a few banks, & walgreens has chase atm's inside.
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.