Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ATTN: Ritz-Carlton Card Holders

tag
Peteyglad
Established Contributor

Re: ATTN: Ritz-Carlton Card Holders

10k is the sweet spot for me for the Gold status. The free breakfast is a huge deal for my stays. With breakfast for 2 at a Marriott checking in at $35-$40 a day it doesn't take many stays to be talking about real money. 

Chase Sapphire Preferred 20k | Amex Delta Platinum 20k | Amex Hilton Aspire 20k | US Bank Cash+ 25k | Chase Amazon Prime 25k | Barclaycard Aviator Red 40k | Bank of America Alaska Airlines 42k | Chase Marriott 50k | Discover It 50.3k | Amex EDP 52k | Citi Thank You Premier 56K | Bank of America BBR 57.9k
Message 11 of 34
azguy13
Senior Contributor

For some reason, the Ritz card is very appealing to me. I travel enough where the $300 annual travel credit would be used and I stay in enough hotels throughout the year. However, the only way I could fully justify it would be to PC my Amex SPG to BCE or something without an annual fee or minimum swipe requirements for bonus rewards. While I do enjoy staying in SPG hotels, there is generally always a Marriot or Ritz where I travel and I could definitely put $10k through it annually so that isn't an issue. 

I am going to consider this when I schedule my next trip. Taking into account the $300 travel credit, it has basically the same AF as my SPG at the moment. 

Message 12 of 34
jsucool76
Super Contributor

I'd hang on to the SPG card until marriott and SPG merge. See what happens to it.
Message 13 of 34
azguy13
Senior Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:
I'd hang on to theSPG card untilmarriott andSPG merge. See what happens to it.

That's true. The government hasn't given the go-ahead yet but I assume they will. I have researched it a good bit and I have a feeling that the SPG Amex will be no more. It could be upwards of 2 years before the actual merger, but if they convert my SPG points to Marriot points, they will be significantly devalued. I may just use up my points and go from there. 

I have no intention of app'ing for the ritz anytime soon so I have time to think on it. I just know very little about the card itself. We always read about people's experiences with Discover, CSP, Amex, etc but the Ritz card rarely makes an appearance. The only more elusive card out there is probably the Diners Club International 

Message 14 of 34
PointLager
Established Contributor

Does the Ritz card provide any standalone benefits to authorized users? (ie lounge access when not traveling with the primary)?  i assume the marriott related benefits are only tagged to the primary

thanks

Message 15 of 34
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@PointLager wrote:

Does the Ritz card provide any standalone benefits to authorized users? (ie lounge access when not traveling with the primary)?  i assume the marriott related benefits are only tagged to the primary

thanks

All authorized users can be given their own LoungeClub card which can be used even without the primary cardholder there. (Note: You must request a LoungeClub card for them, chase wont send it on their own). This card can also be expedited if requested. I ordered one for an AU going overseas and received it in a couple days. 

All authorized users are also given all of the visa siggy benefits (purchase protection, price protection, roadside assistance, primary rental car insurance, and so on). 

AUs will NOT be given marriott gold status, or any otther hotel specific benefits (unless travelling with you) 

The club level upgrade certificates are non-transferrable, though you may be able to book the stay for them, and add their name as a second guest, allowing them to check in. If they pay with their AU card, all should be fine, but note that this is not guaranteed to work. Same for the $100 credit. 

AUs can also use their cards to make purchases for the $300 airline credit, though the primary cardholder will need to be the one to call up and request the reimbursement. 

Message 16 of 34
PointLager
Established Contributor

thank you @jsucool76

free AUs with their own Lounge Club access is unique for these expensive cards.  

Message 17 of 34
azguy13
Senior Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

@PointLager wrote:

thanks

All authorized users can be given their own LoungeClub card which can be used even without the primary cardholder there. (Note: You must request a LoungeClub card for them, chase wont send it on their own). This card can also be expedited if requested. I ordered one for an AU going overseas and received it in a couple days. 

All authorized users are also given all of the visa siggy benefits (purchase protection, price protection, roadside assistance, primary rental car insurance, and so on). 

AUs will NOT be given marriott gold status, or any otther hotel specific benefits (unless travelling with you) 

The club level upgrade certificates are non-transferrable, though you may be able to book the stay for them, and add their name as a second guest, allowing them to check in. If they pay with their AU card, all should be fine, but note that this is not guaranteed to work. Same for the $100 credit. 

AUs can also use their cards to make purchases for the $300 airline credit, though the primary cardholder will need to be the one to call up and request the reimbursement. 

Thank you for providing that in-depth AU analysis. I am really starting to think this is a great card for me. I am still not going to app for awhile but I have started the process of PC'ing some of my cards to non-AF cards in preperation for the Ritz. I just PC'd my NFCU Flagship to nRewards (for the super low APR and no AF) and when I app for the Ritz I will move my CL from CSP over to it, close the CSP (or keep it open with a smaller CL and use it once a month for gas), and then PC my SPG to something like the BCE with no AF. 

Between the travel credit and ridding myself of 3 AFs, that mre than pays for itself. 

Message 18 of 34
shinedown87
Regular Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

@PointLager wrote:

thanks

I requested a LoungeClub card for my wife who is an AU several months ago (directly from LoungeClub), but was told that this wasn't an option.

Any tricks for this, or is it sim[ly a matter of gtting the right CSR?

Message 19 of 34
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@shinedown87 wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

@PointLager wrote:

thanks

I requested a LoungeClub card for my wife who is an AU several months ago (directly from LoungeClub), but was told that this wasn't an option.

Any tricks for this, or is it sim[ly a matter of gtting the right CSR?

You ask JPM Priority Services (phone number on the back of your ritz card). Not LoungeClub. Chase has to pay for the LoungeClub card, which they will. 

Message 20 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.