Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ATTN: Ritz-Carlton Card Holders

tag
PointLager
Established Contributor

Re: ATTN: Ritz-Carlton Card Holders

Thanks CS

I guess I can use the Ritz generated points from year one to fund year two buyback right.

I don't want to touch my UR stash because 40k UR is worth a lot to me.

Btw have you found the club card useful for upgrades? Does having the club card give you any additional upgrade/booking benefits that you wouldn't get as UA silver ? (Besides waiver of close in fee and additional award availability that you can get w a cheaper UA card)

I'm looking at possibly culling some upper end cards like club card if I can get value elsewhere. Between freedom and ink I may be ok? I just signed up for citi TYP cards and the addional bonus categories will lower the non category spend. (Last year I put all travel and dining on UA Club other than the Freedom dining quarter). Maybe in a year from now re-app for CSP to rebuild the UA balance (was going to app in April but picked up TYP year end bonuses and the ritz so it's garden time)
Message 31 of 34
jsucool76
Super Contributor

The club card is pretty useful now due to the price hike of united club membership.

If that is something you use, then I'd suggest keeping the card, as a membership is now $100 more I think.
Message 32 of 34
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@PointLager wrote:
Thanks CS

I guess I can use the Ritz generated points from year one to fund year two buyback right.

I don't want to touch my UR stash because 40k UR is worth a lot to me.

Btw have you found the club card useful for upgrades? Does having the club card give you any additional upgrade/booking benefits that you wouldn't get as UA silver ? (Besides waiver of close in fee and additional award availability that you can get w a cheaper UA card)

I'm looking at possibly culling some upper end cards like club card if I can get value elsewhere. Between freedom and ink I may be ok? I just signed up for citi TYP cards and the addional bonus categories will lower the non category spend. (Last year I put all travel and dining on UA Club other than the Freedom dining quarter). Maybe in a year from now re-app for CSP to rebuild the UA balance (was going to app in April but picked up TYP year end bonuses and the ritz so it's garden time)

I'm UA Gold and only fly J & F, so I'm honestly not too sure about the upgrades as a card holding silver. I doubt it gives you much in that respect though. As far as I'm aware it's not like Delta which specifically priroitizes card holders over non-cardholders for the purposes of upgrades (assuming both people competing for that upgrade have the same elite status level).

However the UA Club card gives you a 2nd free checked back if you're flying in Y, so that might be of some benefit to you. And of course you get a full UA Club membership.

I had considered culling my UA Club card before, since it lacks the airline credit that its competitors all seem to have these days (Amex Plat, Prestige, etc.). However each time when I do the math I end up keeping it year after year. My annual general spend is high enough where I'd lose more from missing the 1.5 earning rate than the cost of the AF.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 33 of 34
PointLager
Established Contributor

Just lost a fifteen minute editing job due to browser crash. Ugh

Ok so I'm pulling my hair out thinking how to strategize this year.

I'm coming from:

$40k of Amex plat spend. Hoping for a $200 retention if possible. Haven't called yet. This card gets all of my and my AUs valuable spend like jewelry , electronics etch just don't trust Chase whatsoever for warranty, loss or any purchase protection. I wish I did because this spend would have been petter put to the club card last year.

Everyday pref saw grocery spend to $6k limit. Also gas and uber. I haven't used any MR In some time so not sure if this is worth collecting. I have the BofA cash back with 3x gas and I just got the citi premier. So this may get downgraded. That said I think I may have $15-18k on this card last year so this may get a retention?

I have a couple of SPG cards and will keep at least one in case the program stays or if Amex stays as an issuer for Marriott. Other I'll see if I can Pc to a no fee Amex. Need to keep it for 10+ aaoa esp without backdating now. It used to be a delta card but when it was a delta I had option to PC to Hilton or SPG. Now in chat they said i can only go back to delta gold. Maybe a two step process.

Ink gets the household Amazon spend (except stuff I need warranty on).

Freedom gets the gas/grocery /dining when 5x

And club got everything else. Even above fidelity. Opportunity cost to big not to.

My family's travel is:

At least one European trip per year. Always via United or LH. This is already "funded" by a decent stash of Ur for this and possibly 2017. I'm scared to earn to many Ua In case of deval. United club membership is used to access LH in Europe. That's about all. My domestic trips are mostly direct or I hit up Amex lounges.

We've used Avios for domestic short haul for family visits maybe 4x per year. Avios balance spent down to zero and I didn't bother moving any MR over.

For family vacays we've used SPG points. Have quite a bit left so not much actual hotel spending. Though domestically we rather spend cash for family rate MR than burn SPG at bad valuation in USA When I can get great value in Europe. We prob have close to 200k SPG balance so set for a while.

I initially jumped on citi app spree as it was tied w Citigold bonus. I liked their 1.6c redemption on aa especially given lack of economy award space and Avios deval. So holidays. Family visits etc I will always have a need for sort haul cheap legacy flights. I think TYP fill that need now.

So this year I start w three new cards

Prestige (app pending)
Premier (approved)
Ritz (approved)

Given the spend pattern, trip needs and balances how to optimize.

With Citigold and two cards I'm looking at 150k TYP bonus. Shd fund short haul for at least a year maybe more. The fixed valuation keeps me confident to keep earning it.

3x TYP > 1.5x UA

TYP can be used for UA If necessary via SQ transfer and award.

What card for dining then? Ritz ? This will be driven by goals for $10k vs $75k target. I can do $75k but would need to restrict most spend to just ritz. Very tough. I'm not sure if I would trust chase with warranty etc

Car rental abroad: Amex due to service and dispute resolution ease
Domestic : prob ritz now (was United club) for primary coverage

Anyway. Thanks for your audience guys. Just had to get all this thinking out. Can't sleep because of it.
Message 34 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.