Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AU Amex backdating

tag
b1gr3dmachin3
Contributor

AU Amex backdating

I just got my first amex card this month, PRG and added my wife as an AU. She plans on applying in Jan for the BCP and adding me as an AU. Will she be able to backdate her card for 2013? I did a forum search and found a lot of mixed responses....
BoA 123 $2.5k (11/12) // Discover It $3.9k (7/13) // Citi Forward Student $3.8k (7/13) // Chase Freedom 5k (12/13) // Amex Blue Cash 6k (1/15)

Starting Score: No Credit History (11/12)
Current Score: MyFico 761
Goal Score: 800+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
CraveMazda
Contributor

Re: AU Amex backdating

b1gr3dmachin3 wrote:
I just got my first amex card this month, PRG and added my wife as an AU. She plans on applying in Jan for the BCP and adding me as an AU. Will she be able to backdate her card for 2013? I did a forum search and found a lot of mixed responses....

I was an AU back in 90's and when I applied for my Zync back in 2009 I was backdated. All I said when I called to request the backdate was that I had and gave them the year I had it. They said they would look into it and when my corrected card came (had a name misspell) it showed the date from the 90's. 

Hope that helps. 

Cap 1 Plat: $750 | Zync: NPSL | NFCU Rewards MC: $23K | Nordstrom Visa: $10K | USAA Amex: $4K | Chase Freedom: $5K | Discover IT: 11,500K | BCE: $ 11K
Message 2 of 27
b1gr3dmachin3
Contributor

That's what I thought, but I tea son posts from the forums regarding this topic and some people had no problem while others weren't able to get backdated at all. So I'm just curious if anyone knows their current policy or if its on a case by case basis
BoA 123 $2.5k (11/12) // Discover It $3.9k (7/13) // Citi Forward Student $3.8k (7/13) // Chase Freedom 5k (12/13) // Amex Blue Cash 6k (1/15)

Message 3 of 27
hopingsoon
Regular Contributor

@CraveMazda wrote:

@b1gr3dmachin3 wrote:

I was an AU back in 90's and when I applied for my Zync back in 2009 I was backdated. All I said when I called to request the backdate was that I had and gave them the year I had it. They said they would look into it and when my corrected card came (had a name misspell) it showed the date from the 90's. 

Hope that helps. 

When you say backdate...do you mean it actually shows on your credit report like it has been opened all that time?  Or just your member since date on your card?

Starting Score: FAKOs EQ 537 TU 497 EX 517
Current Score 7/11/13: FICOs EQ 650 TU 659 EX 655
Goal Score: 675 Who am I kidding? Goal Score: 750+ Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 27
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@b1gr3dmachin3 wrote:

If your wife's account is established in 2013, her MSD will be 2013. In Jan, when she applies for and is approved as a primary her MSD will be 2013 and her CR will show an open date for THAT card as Jan 2013. 

If she adds you as an ACM in Jan, your MSD will say 2013 but your CR's for THAT card will show opened as Jan 2014. 

Message 5 of 27
iam_mr130_iam
New Visitor

I actually did the same thing you did, yet in reverse. My wife was approved for the amex gold 10/2012. She added me right away as an AU. I was a AU till friday of last week. I decided to apply for my own card w/amex no pre-approval might I add. I was approved for the BCP and was able to backdate to last year... I should've waited till January to maximize the backdate but my nerves were itching for a revolver with amex, lol.....
Message 6 of 27
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@09Lexie wrote:

@b1gr3dmachin3 wrote:

If your wife's account is established in 2013, her MSD will be 2013. In Jan, when she applies for and is approved as a primary her MSD will be 2013 and her CR will show an open date for THAT card as Jan 2013. 

If she adds you as an ACM in Jan, your MSD will say 2013 but your CR's for THAT card will show opened as Jan 2014. 

+1

Message 7 of 27
b1gr3dmachin3
Contributor

So she'll be fine but it looks like I'm the one getting screwed lol...

Message 8 of 27
b1gr3dmachin3
Contributor

What if I just apply for the BCP and add her as an AU in Jan? How would that affect our CR's?

Message 9 of 27
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@b1gr3dmachin3 wrote:

So she'll be fine but it looks like I'm the one getting screwed lol...

Yes and no. You've locked in your date, so next time you add one it could be older than this card. My DH have two each for the same reasons 

Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.