cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AU (Authorized user) ACM (Additional card member)

tag
distantarray
Established Contributor

Re: AU (Authorized user) ACM (Additional card member)

@CreditScholar wrote:
I'm still skeptical and will remain that way until someone can show me official policy stated somewhere that says otherwise. Even with a larger AAoA, someone at 18 won't likely be able to provide proof of ability to repay (income usually) that is required now under the CARD act. I just don't see an 18 year old being given something like a Cash+, regardless of having AU cards on his report. When the DOB is matched up with his AAoA, it looks fishy. Will it help? Sure, but it's not as good as you make it out to be.

Ask any banker who signs up cards. My Chase bank manager was like "THAT"S HOW THEY DO IT!" after i told them about authorized users and Fico score (have a lot of clients who are chase managers) anyways they have 18 year old kids coming in getting approved for Sapphire cards, and you can provide proof with just paycheck stubs of income. Regardless after they're 21 they'd still have a lot more age tacked on then otherwise.

No matter what it does'nt hurt to try, add them, remove them later while account is in good standing, and check if it works when they apply for their own Amex.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 11 of 17
distantarray
Established Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

@distantarray wrote:

@armbenderc wrote:

Is this really true? What if I added my 4 years old to ACM, when legal age comes, 14 years of aaoa?

That's pro. Smiley Surprised

lol people in the past had 30+ years of history onto a 18 year old's report. They changed the policy to whenever the person first had a card in their name. Since they have name and social etc. Remember sometimes credit card companies will give extra points or rewards for signing up more users, some people got the rewards adding their pets Smiley Surprised

That's really pathetic. Pets? Really?

lol really, you would be surprised how bad credit card companies are things. Citi bank even allowed in the past people to get the SAME credit card EVERYMONTH when people applied for it online. So people got the bonuses every month. 24 cards a year and 24x sign up bonus for a married couple husband and wife team.
their impressive collection  http://www.fivecentnickel.com/2012/06/08/extreme-credit-card-collections/  best part is their scores were so good they were able to maintain a 760+ after all that. Since AAOA only affects 15% of your credit score it's possible if you have a 800+ score you can maintain it cause after a certain number of inquiries it stops hurting your credit since it'll flatten out when your AAOA becomes 1 year for Fico, Fico will only report 1 year minimum.

Message 12 of 17
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:
I'm still skeptical and will remain that way until someone can show me official policy stated somewhere that says otherwise. Even with a larger AAoA, someone at 18 won't likely be able to provide proof of ability to repay (income usually) that is required now under the CARD act. I just don't see an 18 year old being given something like a Cash+, regardless of having AU cards on his report. When the DOB is matched up with his AAoA, it looks fishy. Will it help? Sure, but it's not as good as you make it out to be.

Ask any banker who signs up cards. My Chase bank manager was like "THAT"S HOW THEY DO IT!" after i told them about authorized users and Fico score (have a lot of clients who are chase managers) anyways they have 18 year old kids coming in getting approved for Sapphire cards, and you can provide proof with just paycheck stubs of income. Regardless after they're 21 they'd still have a lot more age tacked on then otherwise.

No matter what it does'nt hurt to try, add them, remove them later while account is in good standing, and check if it works when they apply for their own Amex.

There's no way I'd ever do such a thing. When I was 18, I asked to be removed from my parents centurion as an AU because I wanted to accomplish this by myself. I built an 800 FICO by my late 20s and I did it on my own. I have too much pride for something like that.
EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 13 of 17
distantarray
Established Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

@distantarray wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

There's no way I'd ever do such a thing. When I was 18, I asked to be removed from my parents centurion as an AU because I wanted to accomplish this by myself. I built an 800 FICO by my late 20s and I did it on my own. I have too much pride for something like that.

Pride is good only when you know when to swallow it, if someone's giving you a little boost that's great, but hey whatever floats your boat, but personally I doubt you never got help in your life, even if it's through the private schools you attended to (probably since parents have a centurion card) or a friend or family helping you find a job in the past etc. Pride will only get you so far, no problem with taking a helping hand.

Oh btw if you were an AU on a Centurion Amex's internal score was already higher when you applied so =\    what's your member start date btw?

Message 14 of 17
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

@distantarray wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

Pride is good only when you know when to swallow it, if someone's giving you a little boost that's great, but hey whatever floats your boat, but personally I doubt you never got help in your life, even if it's through the private schools you attended to (probably since parents have a centurion card) or a friend or family helping you find a job in the past etc. Pride will only get you so far, no problem with taking a helping hand.

Oh btw if you were an AU on a Centurion Amex's internal score was already higher when you applied so =\    what's your member start date btw?

Oh I've had to a couple of times and I know when it's necessary, but nonetheless it's something that should be done when other options have been tried and exhausted. Yes I went to a private high school, and then got a full scholarship including room, board and books for college. Every job I've obtained after graduating was of my own merit, with no help from family or friends. I haven't had an Amex since then, primarily because all of their cards charge forex other than the plat/cent. If they eliminated forex from the SPG I'd be all over it, but until then swapping doesn't make much sense given my spending and travel patterns.
EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 15 of 17
distantarray
Established Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:
Oh I've had to a couple of times and I know when it's necessary, but nonetheless it's something that should be done when other options have been tried and exhausted. Yes I went to a private high school, and then got a full scholarship including room, board and books for college. Every job I've obtained after graduating was of my own merit, with no help from family or friends. I haven't had an Amex since then, primarily because all of their cards charge forex other than the plat/cent. If they eliminated forex from the SPG I'd be all over it, but until then swapping doesn't make much sense given my spending and travel patterns.

I still don't see how BCP/BCE or Costco true earnings could not sound appealing, since we all eat Smiley Happy

even with FOREX you have other cards that don't charge it so what's the problem?

Message 16 of 17
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

I still don't see how BCP/BCE or Costco true earnings could not sound appealing, since we all eat Smiley Happy

even with FOREX you have other cards that don't charge it so what's the problem?

The problem is that I spend 10.5 months of the year outside the US. Adding an additional card that I can't use 90% of the time doesn't seem like a wise proposition. I'm quite happy with the cards that I have anyways. Until either of those changes, I don't see a strong reason to alter my current card portfolio.
EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.