Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AU Question LEVEL:EXPERT

tag
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

AU Question LEVEL:EXPERT

Hi,

Helping an old friend that I come to find out only has a $ 500 credit one card – 1 year old – and an Ally car loan.  She is 52. I know.

Pulling her CCT today to get an idea of how she looks overall but I assume an AU card or two are in her future.

Thinking future 5/24 what AU accounts are easy to get removed from a credit report?  I have chase, amex, penfed, nfcu and cap1 to offer her. 

I am leaning towards chase and amex but all thoughts on the matter are welcome.  Really wish chase would offer separate admin of a card, would love to get points from her use but don’t really want to just hand over a card with my account fully exposed.  If I give her a chase I think it will just be for reporting and not use because of this.  Which of the lenders I listed offer a fresh # and the ability to set up a separate portal to manage the card?

Again, any ideas or comments on the topic most welcome.  Thank you

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

Re: AU Question LEVEL:EXPERT

It seems that any AU cards are pretty easy to get off a credit report when you want to take them off. One unique thing with Chase is that the AU card Will have the same card number as your card. If you call Chase and cancel the AU, the card will still work, it just won’t report to the bureau anymore. That is one thing to watch with Chase. It can be good and bad.
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 2 of 22
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

I should also add the CV3 Code will be identical to your card as well.
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 3 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi!

I just added my teenage daughter to my Amex, Cap1 and Chase CC accounts.  With Amex and Cap1, I was able to set limits for the specific cards.  This ' limit' is the amount she is able to spend monthly.  My daughter will only have those two cards in her possession, the chase card will be put in a safe place.  You may consider these options and this way you control the exposure.

Message 4 of 22
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@fltireguy wrote:
I should also add the CV3 Code will be identical to your card as well.

right, chase is easy to remove but very limited.  I know at least an amex charger is hard to remove and I have heard discover is impossible, dont have one and dont care.  thx

Message 5 of 22
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi!

I just added my teenage daughter to my Amex, Cap1 and Chase CC accounts.  With Amex and Cap1, I was able to set limits for the specific cards.  This ' limit' is the amount she is able to spend monthly.  My daughter will only have those two cards in her possession, the chase card will be put in a safe place.  You may consider these options and this way you control the exposure.

thx, with the cap1 and amex can you set up a portal to contol them seperate from the  main one?  exposure I dont care about as much as control and being able to get the account off the report when desired.

Message 6 of 22
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Yes, Chase can be an oddball like that. I remember when I added my wife as an AU on Freedom and had it changed to a VS, they screwed up and accidentally changed it to a FU VS.  Took a few calls to get taken care of, but a few days later we received her Freedom Visa, a pair of Freedom Unlimited Visa Signature cards, and the correct pair of Freedom Visa Signature cards - all 5 of them had the same card number, same expiration and same CVV.

I have no experience with removing AUs, but one thing to note with Amex is that while the AU will get the benefit of the tradeline reporting and the credit line helping (or hurting, depending on the mix) their utilization, Amex now reports the card open date as the date the AU was added and previous account history is not imported.  They are the only lender that I am aware of doing that. Also important to note that due to people adding AUs for a fee to help them with their credit, there are many instances where an AU account is completely ignored unless the primary account holder resides with you.

Message 7 of 22
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

I have no experience with removing AUs, but one thing to note with Amex is that while the AU will get the benefit of the tradeline reporting and the credit line helping (or hurting, depending on the mix) their utilization, Amex now reports the card open date as the date the AU was added and previous account history is not imported.  They are the only lender that I am aware of doing that. Also important to note that due to people adding AUs for a fee to help them with their credit, there are many instances where an AU account is completely ignored unless the primary account holder resides with you.

thx + interesting re amex and what do you mean a fee...like credit one, maybe expand on this please

Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bourgogne wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi!

thx, with the cap1 and amex can you set up a portal to contol them seperate from the  main one?  exposure I dont care about as much as control and being able to get the account off the report when desired.

Yes, you can control the cap1 and amex cards seperate from the main card.  

Message 9 of 22
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Where can you control the limits of the CapOne on the website for AUs? Or do you have to call customer service to do it? Thought AMEX was the only lender to allow set limits for AUs.

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.