Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AU - high balance vs credit limit

tag
axledobe
Frequent Contributor

AU - high balance vs credit limit

I had DW add me as an AU on her Citi Forward card opened in early 2009 with a 2.5K CL.  The account has a zero balance (and will always report this way) and has never been late.  I asked her to do it to offset some of my new TL's for AAoA purposes.  What I didn't think to look at was the high balance and monthly payment amounts.  The CL is 2.5K and the high balance reported is $2,550.  It does show she made minimum payments for quite some time.  Does this affect me negatively in any way?  Should I ask her to remove me?  

I searched on this topic and found some FICO8 FAQ's that stated that it would have ill effect but found old posts that seem to believe it carries no scoring weight at all.  Then I thought about people who shift CL's around with the same issuers i.e. someone moves all but $500 to another card.  I'm sure the high balance reported on that card could far exceed the reported credit limit.

Can someone please clarify?   Thanks so much.  

FICO SCORES: TU 769; EX 790; EQ 790 ***Gardening indefinitely***

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Re: AU - high balance vs credit limit

It will be fine, the High Balance shouldn't effect anything, and if it ever comes up in a manual review, #1 you are an AU on the card, #2 its a signature card it is allowed to go over the limit as long as the excess was paid as specified. 

It will also be fine if you remove the AU, your current cards are pretty good. So you are obviously doing fine. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 2 of 3
nyancat
Established Contributor

Re: AU - high balance vs credit limit

She's missing out on 1200 ThankYou points a year if she pays before the statement cuts.
American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.