Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AU question

tag
megaman1
Regular Contributor

AU question

For Discover IT, if I add my sister it only asks for her first and last name. How will CCC know that she will be an AU? I know AMEX asks for SSN to verify identity of an AU.

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
Goose7
Valued Member

Re: AU question

When you add someone as an authorized user. You are practically just having their name printed on the card it is still under your account and 'your' sole legal responsibility to pay any charges made. In this case your sister has a slim chance of your credit history getting pasted on to her report. Although there are occasions in which it happens.

I hope that answers your question.

Also have a Happy New Year!
Message 2 of 28
jspring86
Established Member

When I first started building my credit back up I was an AU on a Discover card.  What I had to do to get them to report on my CR is to call customer service and ask politely if I could give them my SSN so they could report it to the CBs.  The representative was very kind and even offered to do a mid-cycle report for me to get the information on my CR ASAP.  I hope that helps you out!

Cards: AMEX BCE-$2K, BOA 1-2-3-$2K, Barclays Arrival-$4K, Discover IT-$4K. Gardening until at least July 2014!
Message 3 of 28
megaman1
Regular Contributor

@jspring86 wrote:

When I first started building my credit back up I was an AU on a Discover card.  What I had to do to get them to report on my CR is to call customer service and ask politely if I could give them my SSN so they could report it to the CBs.  The representative was very kind and even offered to do a mid-cycle report for me to get the information on my CR ASAP.  I hope that helps you out!

So to pretty much ensure that my credit history is pasted on my AU's record, I would need to give the AU's SSN to the CCC's, right?

Message 4 of 28
jspring86
Established Member

Yeah, thats the idea.  Once you add them as a AU they can call in themselves and give their SSN to customer service if they prefer.  I had no problems doing it myself when I was added as an AU. 

Cards: AMEX BCE-$2K, BOA 1-2-3-$2K, Barclays Arrival-$4K, Discover IT-$4K. Gardening until at least July 2014!
Message 5 of 28
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

I think it even helps if your sister is living on the same address as you am i right or wrong?

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 6 of 28
megaman1
Regular Contributor

@jspring86 wrote:

Yeah, thats the idea.  Once you add them as a AU they can call in themselves and give their SSN to customer service if they prefer.  I had no problems doing it myself when I was added as an AU. 

Did you feel like having been an AU gave you any "advantages" when you applied? I'm talking to a CR, and they're telling me different things. LOL

What Discover CR said:

"They would still have to apply and enter all their income, work history, housing etc and then the system would decide if they are approved or not. Being an authorized buyer would not give more or less chances Michael. Only the primary (owner of the account) is reported as responsible. That is on our case. For other creditors or credit bureaus, it could be different, so you can always check with the bureaus or other creditors if wishes to apply for other credit cards, loans etc."

Message 7 of 28
jspring86
Established Member

Well the advantages are that the credit limit, history, etc. reports on their CRs at all three agencies.  I don't think there is any direct benefit of being an authorized user on a Discover card when you apply for your own Discover card.  The benefits are the general benefits you get from your score going up as a result of the account reporting.  

Message 8 of 28
megaman1
Regular Contributor

I just called Discover and they said they don't report the authorized users to the credit bureaus..... Does anyone know if AMEX reports AU's to CBs?

Message 9 of 28
k-s
Regular Contributor

Discover DEFINITELY reports AUs. Within 24 hours of applying (and adding me as an AU), DBF's new It card was on my CR.
Amex also reports me as an AU, as does Chase, Citi Best Buy, and GE ON Visa.
EQ MyFICO: 719 - Discover It TU FICO: 749 - EX 728
Amex PRG: NPSL | Amex Blue Sky: 2k | Amex BCE: 10k | Amex TrueEarnings: 5k | Amex Delta Gold: 2k | Discover It: 4k | SFCU: 13k | Quicksilver: 4k | Venture: 10k | Freedom: 2k | CSP: 7.5k | Amazon Visa: 5k | Citi TYPremier: 6.3k | Best Buy: 4.5k | Macy's Amex: 6k | Nordstrom: 4k | Old Navy Visa: 4k | Target: $1.2k | Angel: 1k
Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.