cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AU user on AmEx help me get approved for my own?

tag
sperrin
Valued Member

AU user on AmEx help me get approved for my own?

I've been an authorized user on an AmEx card for about a year and a half.  Always pay in full, it has a high CL.  My scores are in the low 600's.  Will be chances be better forming my own relationship with Amex?  I'd like to app for the Gold Card once a few more negatives drop off next month.  I've heard of people being approved with scores right around 600.  I should have jumped on the Zync bandwagon while it was still there!

Thanks guys!

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

Re: AU user on AmEx help me get approved for my own?

It is good that you are an AU. That will help you with Amex. However paying on time helps the actually person whose card it is more than it helps you. I would be very surprised if you were approved for your own Amex with scores around 600. I would recommend waiting til your scores are about 650 or even 680 before applying. 600 though it could happen seems like a real reach to me to be approved for an Amex, even an Amex green. I was recently denied with EX fico of 644... Good luck. Of course individual results will vary and if you don't have many inquires then you aren't giving up much by applying. I will be interested to hear what other people on this forum have to say about your situation.

Message 2 of 12
sperrin
Valued Member

Thanks for your response!  Anyone else have any input????

Message 3 of 12
rex_03
Contributor

Definitely wait for those baddies  to fall off. Do you have any other cards that carry a balance? If so, work on the utilization. And get that score to bump up a bit more. You may be borderline, and yes it's a SP, but make it worth your while. Could you look at another type of card to establish yourself a bit more, as your ACM status will not change, but a bump in score will get you in the right direction..

Message 4 of 12
sperrin
Valued Member

thanks for the input.  What do you mean it's a SP?

Message 5 of 12
ElCamino
Contributor

@sperrin wrote:

thanks for the input.  What do you mean it's a SP?

A SP = a Soft Pull.

It means that if you apply for an Amex card while already being a member of Amex that they will use a soft credit inquiry that does not affect your credit score in order to determine your eligibility for a new Amex card (I believe you need to be logged into the Amex site and apply through there). If they approve you, then they will do a HP (Hard Pull) of your credit report which will lower your score.

Amex BCE: $16.5k, Discover It: $5k, Chase Freedom Visa: $10k, Fidelity Amex: $7.5k, PenFed Cash Rewards Visa: $3.5k, CapOne Union Plus MC: $4.5k, Barclays Upromise MC: $5k, BoA Cash Rewards 123 MC: $1.5k
Message 6 of 12
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

I would likewise wait till your scores are higher.

That said, the way Amex tracks AU's (ACM's in their lingo) I strongly suspect that being an AU with Amex helps you far more with Amex than an AU from any other lender helps you with that lender.

        
Message 7 of 12
sperrin
Valued Member

I had no idea that because I was an AU it would only be a soft pull to apply for an AmEx on my own.  It won't effect their card or our account at all?

Message 8 of 12
ElCamino
Contributor

@sperrin wrote:

I had no idea that because I was an AU it would only be a soft pull to apply for an AmEx on my own.  It won't effect their card or our account at all?

You will only be soft pulled if you are rejected. If you are approved, you will be soft pulled and then hard pulled.

Edit: Also, as stated before, be sure you're logged into your Amex account and apply through their site.

Amex BCE: $16.5k, Discover It: $5k, Chase Freedom Visa: $10k, Fidelity Amex: $7.5k, PenFed Cash Rewards Visa: $3.5k, CapOne Union Plus MC: $4.5k, Barclays Upromise MC: $5k, BoA Cash Rewards 123 MC: $1.5k
Message 9 of 12
awiser
Regular Contributor

Just ran into this thread and wanted to correct the misinformation. Only original card holders get the benefit of a SP. ACM apps would result in HP, regardless of approval or denial.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.