Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AUTHORIZED USER

tag
kimcakee
Established Member

AUTHORIZED USER

Hi guys, 

I wanna know if ADDING AND REMOVING AUTHORIZED USER hurts my score or my husband's score?

I just added my husband to my new Barclay card, but now I wanna remove him cos we are planning to buy a house next month. Will this affect his score? my score?

as of June 12, 2012
EQ FICO 689, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 713 --NO BADDIES
BoA platinum Visa (600CL), Cap1 No hassle cash reward MC (750CL)
Barclay Carnival MC (2500CL), AU on Direct rewards HSBC (500CL)
Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
kimcakee
Established Member

Re: AUTHORIZED USER

We decided to remove both of us on our credit cards.

He is AU on my Cap1 since 07/2011 and on Barclay i just added him.

I am AU on his Direct Rewards HSBC just last 12/2011.

If we remove ourselves on the credit cards, will this hurt our scores?

as of June 12, 2012
Message 2 of 30
ccb2115
Frequent Contributor

maybe someone with more experience can chime in, but I believe that it depends on many different factors, such as AAoA, payment history, etc. 

I.E. My Uncle added me as an AU on his Amex. The account was opened and in good standing since 6/1999. 

Before that, the only positive items on my report was my Capital One secure card which I got last June which is in good standing.

Therefore, this positvely affected my score because it increased my AAoA and added another account that's in good standing. (I think my EX FaKO jumped up 33 points)

Scores: EX: 793 EQ: 804 TU: 801
Message 3 of 30
kimcakee
Established Member

My CAP1 is opened on 07/2011
My Barclay is opened on 12/2011

His Direct Rewards HSBC is opened on 06/2010

All of them are in GOOD STANDING/NEVER LATE

My EX score went up when my new Barclay account posted.

May I ask what does AAoA mean? I'm new to this.

as of June 12, 2012
Message 4 of 30
laz98
Senior Contributor

AAoA is average age of accounts.

Message 5 of 30
ccb2115
Frequent Contributor

Average Age of Accounts

Well it won't affect your score if you remove him, but it may affect his score if you remove him. The same goes for him removing you. Do you know what his score was prior to you adding him on? Do you know what your score was prior to him adding you on? 

I assume that if you guys remove eachother, you may drop some points if the accounts are in good standing. Maybe your score will experience the bigger drop since his card was opened in 2010. That's just an educated guess though. And when I say drop, I don't exactly know how many points. It could be something really small or something noticeable like 20 points. 

Sorry if this is just confuses you even more. 

Scores: EX: 793 EQ: 804 TU: 801
Message 6 of 30
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Basically it comes down to what does your CR look like if you were to remove the AU accounts.   IF you AAoA decreases, or %Util increases that would make your FICO score lower.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 7 of 30
ficonightmare
Frequent Contributor

I think it's going to affect utility. So, if the cards you're both AU's on have a good CL and aren't used much, it's pointless to remove as you're getting rid of a line of credit that's helping your utilization.  

If the cards are maxxed, then removing may help.

Starting Score: 600s
Current Score: EQ 08 798 on 5/28/14, TU 792 on 5/27/4 via Barclay, EX 798 on 5/28/14
Goal Score: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 8 of 30
kimcakee
Established Member

When I add him on my barclay my score was the same on my signature. His score was 688 EX FAKO
When I add him on Cap1 my score was 698 EX FAKO. His score was 688 EX FAKO

When he added me on his Direct Rewards his score was 697 FAKO. Mine was the same on my signature.
as of June 12, 2012
Message 9 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kimcakee wrote:
We decided to remove both of us on our credit cards.

What I don't understand is why you feel that you need to remove each other as AUs on the credit cards. How will this make your possibility of a mortgage any better? I can see this being the case if- for example- you have a really low FICO scores, and you are an AU on a card that is at its limit and thus, this brings down your credit scores; or if being added on a brand new card lowers the AAoA, and thus your credit score is lowered, and therefore, not being an AU will actually increase your scores which will help with mortgage approval. However, assuming that you will be looking for a FHA loan, and thus, your current scores should be OK... then I don't understand.

FWIW, my DH is an AU on 2 of my cards and he saw a score increase of more than 50 pts (both cards are quite old, high limits and perfect history).

However, one thing to note that lenders are not too fond of is new credit. They don't like to see a lot of credit pulls or shopping around for new credit anywhere near the time of applying for a mortgage. You might want to head over to the mortgage board and ask questions about what you should be doing prior to applying for a mortgage.

Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.