Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Reply
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 371
Registered: ‎12-30-2012
0

AYYY!!! Research before you take action!

Tonight I needed to book a flight with my brother to go to miami. I had 42k UR  points from my sign up on my CSP. We checked united online and found a flight we could fit in our schedule and so I checked the UR site. The to flight was listed but no the return flight. So I couldnt book through UR. I transferred 42k points to a new united FF account I made thinking I could use some points and some cash like I could at UR. Apparently thats not the case. I needed 100k points for that flight and wasnt given the option to use partial points. If there is a way then I didnt see it. I ended up paying with my CSP for the whole amount and that hurt!!! I guess the only consolation is that to my understanding I should earn double UR points for my purchase plus additional united points right? What I dont get is that I couldnt find the same flights on UR or travelocity that I could straight from united. Kinda strange. I guess now that I transferred those points and I cant get em back to chase, I need to really move my spending from the BCE and discover to exclusivley to my CSP/Freedom. I do not want to waste those points I transferred to United. They are set to expire. Now that brings up another question. I recently added an AU to my BCE. I think I read somewhere that someone let someone else use the AU on their amex more than they did and got an FR. Did I read that right? If so should I stop my AU from using the card since I am now not going to use mine? Thanks


CSP-$8700, Amex BCE-17.2k, Chase Freedom-$5700
Discover It-$6600, USAA MC-$5900 Ink Bold- $12k United Explorer-$5k
Member
Posts: 97
Registered: ‎06-09-2013
0

Re: AYYY!!! Research before you take action!

I don't think you tried to book the flights properly, and where and when did you need the flights? I want to try to run some scenarios cause I've never once had a problem finding domestic flights with UA points. Especially Last minute flights are the easiest to obtain using UA miles imo.

Member
Posts: 97
Registered: ‎06-09-2013
0

Re: AYYY!!! Research before you take action!

I just tried to book flights for TODAY 6/10/2013, and return flight this Saturday. Had no problem finding plenty of flights for 25k round trip from NY to Miami.....

Epic Contributor
Posts: 28,386
Registered: ‎10-23-2007
0

Re: AYYY!!! Research before you take action!


E150GT wrote:

Tonight I needed to book a flight with my brother to go to miami. I had 42k UR  points from my sign up on my CSP. We checked united online and found a flight we could fit in our schedule and so I checked the UR site. The to flight was listed but no the return flight. So I couldnt book through UR. I transferred 42k points to a new united FF account I made thinking I could use some points and some cash like I could at UR. Apparently thats not the case. I needed 100k points for that flight and wasnt given the option to use partial points. If there is a way then I didnt see it. I ended up paying with my CSP for the whole amount and that hurt!!! I guess the only consolation is that to my understanding I should earn double UR points for my purchase plus additional united points right? What I dont get is that I couldnt find the same flights on UR or travelocity that I could straight from united. Kinda strange. I guess now that I transferred those points and I cant get em back to chase, I need to really move my spending from the BCE and discover to exclusivley to my CSP/Freedom. I do not want to waste those points I transferred to United. They are set to expire. Now that brings up another question. I recently added an AU to my BCE. I think I read somewhere that someone let someone else use the AU on their amex more than they did and got an FR. Did I read that right? If so should I stop my AU from using the card since I am now not going to use mine? Thanks


That would be me and my partner I'm sure but that's half true I guess...

He had a Costco Amex with $18,200 for about 14-16 months or so

I got him to get a BCE through the creditcards.com offer and it was given just $2k... I was added to BCE and put (Without looking it up, I posted in my original FR thread) about $7k+ through it in the 60ish days it was open... The total spend since Costco had been open I think was only about $15k, so clearly this spending was at a pace far greater then he had demonstrated for over a year... I don't think it had to do with which card did the spending, it had to do with the spending period.... spending vs. income!

 

I may have left the garden 06/20/2016 Smiley Tongue
Partner Joined Garden 04/11/2016
Member
Posts: 97
Registered: ‎06-09-2013
0

Re: AYYY!!! Research before you take action!


E150GT wrote:

I do not want to waste those points I transferred to United. They are set to expire. 


UA points never "expires" if you have any type of activity in 18 months. If you don't want to lose them just buy some points. even if you buy few dollars worth of points from United Airlines that is considered "activity" and your points will renew for another 18 months.

 

 

Frequent Contributor
Posts: 371
Registered: ‎12-30-2012
0

Re: AYYY!!! Research before you take action!


Ailee92 wrote:

I don't think you tried to book the flights properly, and where and when did you need the flights? I want to try to run some scenarios cause I've never once had a problem finding domestic flights with UA points. Especially Last minute flights are the easiest to obtain using UA miles imo.


There were plenty of flights available. The thing is that my brother planned a trip to peru since last year for later this month. He did all of that. Tonight he tells me we need to book a flight for miami to depart to peru. I didnt know that wasnt taken care of. Now we have to find a ticket for the 21st of this month with an arrival time before we depart for peru and a return flight after the arrival from peru on the 30th. We found one that me our criteria on united. I went to chase and they had to same flight to miami but they didnt list the same return back. It wasnt there. I then checked travelocity and they didnt either so I bought it on united. I have never booked a flight before so I really had no freaking clue when it comes to using miles on a credit card. I learned something today. 


CSP-$8700, Amex BCE-17.2k, Chase Freedom-$5700
Discover It-$6600, USAA MC-$5900 Ink Bold- $12k United Explorer-$5k
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 371
Registered: ‎12-30-2012
0

Re: AYYY!!! Research before you take action!


Creditaddict wrote:

E150GT wrote:

Tonight I needed to book a flight with my brother to go to miami. I had 42k UR  points from my sign up on my CSP. We checked united online and found a flight we could fit in our schedule and so I checked the UR site. The to flight was listed but no the return flight. So I couldnt book through UR. I transferred 42k points to a new united FF account I made thinking I could use some points and some cash like I could at UR. Apparently thats not the case. I needed 100k points for that flight and wasnt given the option to use partial points. If there is a way then I didnt see it. I ended up paying with my CSP for the whole amount and that hurt!!! I guess the only consolation is that to my understanding I should earn double UR points for my purchase plus additional united points right? What I dont get is that I couldnt find the same flights on UR or travelocity that I could straight from united. Kinda strange. I guess now that I transferred those points and I cant get em back to chase, I need to really move my spending from the BCE and discover to exclusivley to my CSP/Freedom. I do not want to waste those points I transferred to United. They are set to expire. Now that brings up another question. I recently added an AU to my BCE. I think I read somewhere that someone let someone else use the AU on their amex more than they did and got an FR. Did I read that right? If so should I stop my AU from using the card since I am now not going to use mine? Thanks


That would be me and my partner I'm sure but that's half true I guess...

He had a Costco Amex with $18,200 for about 14-16 months or so

I got him to get a BCE through the creditcards.com offer and it was given just $2k... I was added to BCE and put (Without looking it up, I posted in my original FR thread) about $7k+ through it in the 60ish days it was open... The total spend since Costco had been open I think was only about $15k, so clearly this spending was at a pace far greater then he had demonstrated for over a year... I don't think it had to do with which card did the spending, it had to do with the spending period.... spending vs. income!

 


Thats good to know that I wont have to worry about that. My AU is 21 and will not be spending much. Thanks


CSP-$8700, Amex BCE-17.2k, Chase Freedom-$5700
Discover It-$6600, USAA MC-$5900 Ink Bold- $12k United Explorer-$5k
Member
Posts: 97
Registered: ‎06-09-2013
0

Re: AYYY!!! Research before you take action!


E150GT wrote:

Ailee92 wrote:

I don't think you tried to book the flights properly, and where and when did you need the flights? I want to try to run some scenarios cause I've never once had a problem finding domestic flights with UA points. Especially Last minute flights are the easiest to obtain using UA miles imo.


There were plenty of flights available. The thing is that my brother planned a trip to peru since last year for later this month. He did all of that. Tonight he tells me we need to book a flight for miami to depart to peru. I didnt know that wasnt taken care of. Now we have to find a ticket for the 21st of this month with an arrival time before we depart for peru and a return flight after the arrival from peru on the 30th. We found one that me our criteria on united. I went to chase and they had to same flight to miami but they didnt list the same return back. It wasnt there. I then checked travelocity and they didnt either so I bought it on united. I have never booked a flight before so I really had no freaking clue when it comes to using miles on a credit card. I learned something today. 


So Miami to Peru June 21st and Peru to Miami June 30th?

 

btw 1 year of planning and never purchased the tickets?.....

Frequent Contributor
Posts: 371
Registered: ‎12-30-2012
0

Re: AYYY!!! Research before you take action!


Ailee92 wrote:

E150GT wrote:

Ailee92 wrote:

I don't think you tried to book the flights properly, and where and when did you need the flights? I want to try to run some scenarios cause I've never once had a problem finding domestic flights with UA points. Especially Last minute flights are the easiest to obtain using UA miles imo.


There were plenty of flights available. The thing is that my brother planned a trip to peru since last year for later this month. He did all of that. Tonight he tells me we need to book a flight for miami to depart to peru. I didnt know that wasnt taken care of. Now we have to find a ticket for the 21st of this month with an arrival time before we depart for peru and a return flight after the arrival from peru on the 30th. We found one that me our criteria on united. I went to chase and they had to same flight to miami but they didnt list the same return back. It wasnt there. I then checked travelocity and they didnt either so I bought it on united. I have never booked a flight before so I really had no freaking clue when it comes to using miles on a credit card. I learned something today. 


So Miami to Peru June 21st and Peru to Miami June 30th?

 

btw 1 year of planning and never purchased the tickets?.....


yes tthose tickets are purchased. I live in texas and have to get to miami to depart to peru. I was under the assumption that they were all taken care of. Most iof it was expept the small task of getting to miami. 


CSP-$8700, Amex BCE-17.2k, Chase Freedom-$5700
Discover It-$6600, USAA MC-$5900 Ink Bold- $12k United Explorer-$5k
Member
Posts: 97
Registered: ‎06-09-2013
0

Re: AYYY!!! Research before you take action!


E150GT wrote:

Ailee92 wrote:

E150GT wrote:

Ailee92 wrote:

I don't think you tried to book the flights properly, and where and when did you need the flights? I want to try to run some scenarios cause I've never once had a problem finding domestic flights with UA points. Especially Last minute flights are the easiest to obtain using UA miles imo.


There were plenty of flights available. The thing is that my brother planned a trip to peru since last year for later this month. He did all of that. Tonight he tells me we need to book a flight for miami to depart to peru. I didnt know that wasnt taken care of. Now we have to find a ticket for the 21st of this month with an arrival time before we depart for peru and a return flight after the arrival from peru on the 30th. We found one that me our criteria on united. I went to chase and they had to same flight to miami but they didnt list the same return back. It wasnt there. I then checked travelocity and they didnt either so I bought it on united. I have never booked a flight before so I really had no freaking clue when it comes to using miles on a credit card. I learned something today. 


So Miami to Peru June 21st and Peru to Miami June 30th?

 

btw 1 year of planning and never purchased the tickets?.....


yes tthose tickets are purchased. I live in texas and have to get to miami to depart to peru. I was under the assumption that they were all taken care of. Most iof it was expept the small task of getting to miami. 


I don't know how you looked for the tickets....

 

This is what I've found and plenty of flights too....

 

 
20,000 Miles
and
$96.90
 
40,000 Miles
and
$96.90
 
35,000 Miles
and
$96.90
Mixed Cabin
Mixed
Cabin
 
70,000 Miles
and
$96.90
Mixed Cabin
Mixed
Cabin
Depart:
1:20 p.m.
Fri., Jun. 21, 2013
Miami, FL (MIA)
Arrive:
4:38 p.m.
Fri., Jun. 21, 2013
Toronto, ON Canada (YYZ)
Flight Time:
3 hr 18 mn
Flight: AC917
Operated by Air Canada.
Aircraft: Embraer ERJ-190
Meal: Food for Purchase
No Special Meal Offered.
See On-Time Performance
 
Change Planes. Connect time in Toronto, ON Canada (YYZ) is 7 hours 7 minutes.
Depart:
11:45 p.m.
Fri., Jun. 21, 2013
Toronto, ON Canada (YYZ)
Arrive:
6:35 a.m. +1 Day
Sat., Jun. 22, 2013
Lima, Peru (LIM)
Flight Time:
7 hr 50 mn

Travel Time:

18 hr 15 mn
Flight: AC80
Operated by Air Canada.
Aircraft: Boeing 767-300
Meal: Breakfast
No Special Meal Offered.
See On-Time Performance

 

 

 

Coach  / First Class

 

 

 

 

 
40,000 Miles
and
$49.49
 
35,000 Miles
and
$49.49
 
70,000 Miles
and
$49.49
Depart:
4:40 p.m.
Sun., Jun. 30, 2013
Lima, Peru (LIM)
Arrive:
8:14 p.m.
Sun., Jun. 30, 2013
Panama City, Panama (PTY)
Flight Time:
3 hr 34 mn
Flight: CM130
Operated by Copa Airlines.
Aircraft: Boeing 737-700
Meal: Meal
No Special Meal Offered.
See On-Time Performance
 
Change Planes. Connect time in Panama City, Panama (PTY) is 16 hours.
Depart:
12:14 p.m.
Mon., Jul. 1, 2013
Panama City, Panama (PTY)
Arrive:
4:18 p.m.
Mon., Jul. 1, 2013
Miami, FL (MIA)
Flight Time:
3 hr 4 mn

Travel Time:

22 hr 38 mn
Flight: CM430
Operated by Copa Airlines.
Aircraft: Boeing 737-800
Meal: Meal
No Special Meal Offered.
See On-Time Performance

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.