cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About Discover 5% catalog, entertainment means only museum and movie?

tag
stone
Regular Contributor

About Discover 5% catalog, entertainment means only museum and movie?

I think entertainment means a wiedly cataloy, but in the detail of 5% bonus program, only museum and movie showed up, not the entertainment.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: About Discover 5% catalog, entertainment means only museum and movie?

Yes Discovers 5% category Jan-March is

Gas Stations

Museums

Movies

It's Discovers discretion as to what they consider "Entertainment" for their 5% Cash Back Category.

Message 2 of 5
lithium78
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes Discovers 5% category Jan-March is

Gas Stations

Museums

Movies

It's Discovers discretion as to what they consider "Entertainment" for their 5% Cash Back Category.

It all depends on how the merchant codes their CC transactions and there is no way to know that information.  For instance, I bought some souvenirs from the gift shop at the American Museum of Natural History in NYC and it came back coded as "services" for some reason.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 5
sdoonan
Contributor

It can also depend on the card as well. The same merchant may use different codes for different CC's; for example, a website I use to order food at school is coded as Restaurant on my Citi card and coded as Business Services on my AMEX.

Cards: CitiForward for Students (2K, opened 8/2009), Discover it (2K, opened 7/2010), AMEX BCE (1k, opened 12/2010), Capital One Quicksilver (4.5k, opened 11/2011), Chase Freedom (1.5k, opened 8/2014)

AMEX Platinum (NPSL, AC arrangement, added 12/2011), Citi AAdvantage AMEX (9k, AU, backdated to 9/2008)

Scores: TU 667, EQ 651

In the Garden since 8/8.
Message 4 of 5
wollepopolle
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Y

True enough. However, it's my sole discretion to whip out my trusty BoA card when in doubt. 2% cash back in the hand are better than 5% in the bush, I dislike how they remain wishywashy about what qualifies and, more importantly, what does not qualify for their 5% categories, especially in these new categories such as museums. I didn't even know that they have their own merchant code. Discover (and others who offer similar restricted offers) could provide a sample list of merchants who qualify.

On the upside, my local coffee roaster shows up as "restaurant." I got some good coffee during the past three months.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.