Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About Discover two tiers customers

tag
mxp114
Valued Contributor

Re: About Discover two tiers customers

@linux007969 wrote:

Discover does have 2 tiers it actually differs in their card agreements...

https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/cardmember-agreement/?icmpgn=publichelpcenter

Pricing tiers are common however Discover also segments cardholders into one of three groups depending on your annual spend and will add card benefits based on which. Looks like you could be a Prime 12.99% or a Near Prime 12.99%, I wonder if there's a way to find out which you are considered.

Message 11 of 16
jasonkm1
Regular Contributor

Don't know what tier I fall in but under "Ways to Earn More" I have an offer that doesn't make much sense for me. Need to spend $2,000/mo for 8 months for $300 bonus. I don't know why they would give me such an offer since the most I ever put on the card is around $300/mo. I barely even make $2000/mo lol. The must think I make a lot of money.

$300 Cashback Bonus Offer

Spend $2,000 every month 01/01/2014 - 08/31/2014 and get $300 Cashback Bonus

Message 12 of 16
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@mxp114 wrote:

@linux007969 wrote:

Discover does have 2 tiers it actually differs in their card agreements...

https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/cardmember-agreement/?icmpgn=publichelpcenter

Pricing tiers are common however Discover also segments cardholders into one of three groups depending on your annual spend and will add card benefits based on which. Looks like you could be a Prime 12.99% or a Near Prime 12.99%, I wonder if there's a way to find out which you are considered.

Absolutely, I'm sure Discover has pricing tiers (and I'm sorry if my earlier post implied that they didn't). But I've still seen no evidence that they have two tiers for the surprise offers that have been the subject of so much discussion In fact I've seen definite evidence to the contrary.

Mxp, I'd love to know where you got the info on the three groups. I've never heard that but it's interesting.

Message 13 of 16
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@jasonkm1 wrote:

Don't know what tier I fall in but under "Ways to Earn More" I have an offer that doesn't make much sense for me. Need to spend $2,000/mo for 8 months for $300 bonus. I don't know why they would give me such an offer since the most I ever put on the card is around $300/mo. I barely even make $2000/mo lol. The must think I make a lot of money.

$300 Cashback Bonus Offer

Spend $2,000 every month 01/01/2014 - 08/31/2014 and get $300 Cashback Bonus

I get those once in a while, too, and while the cashback always looks tempting, the spend requirements are always way beyond what's normal for me.

Message 14 of 16
mxp114
Valued Contributor

@Gunnar419 wrote:

Absolutely, I'm sure Discover has pricing tiers (and I'm sorry if my earlier post implied that they didn't). But I've still seen no evidence that they have two tiers for the surprise offers that have been the subject of so much discussion In fact I've seen definite evidence to the contrary.

I don't think you're gonna find evidence to proprietary internal information. And I don't know if they have two tiers for CB offers but it's probably more of a marketing campaign where they target and identify accounts that meet a specific criteria such as little to no usage over the last few months and then send a proactive offer to encourage spend.

@Gunnar419 wrote:

Mxp, I'd love to know where you got the info on the three groups. I've never heard that but it's interesting.

Oh I was invited to the two top tiers in 2011 and 2012 and that's how I learned of them Smiley Surprised

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great thread. Thanks for all the info. I have had a Discover Card for over three years and I learned a lot.
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.