Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About Penfed membership

tag
VirtualCuriosity
Established Contributor

Re: About Penfed membership

@cflowers0115 wrote:

I started an application with them.. didn't even go on except filling out the beginning, didn't complete and they STILL hard pulled my EQ.. just a warning if reviewing their app, they WILL pull even if you don't complete.

This just happened to me with another credit union.  It is so frustrating.  I saved an application that was half way finiched and then decided not to continue later.  Got the alert a week later.

TU713, EQ 731 , EX 726 (As of 12/13/14) - Personal Goal = 760

“Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship” – Benjamin Franklin

Gardening since 3-26-15

Message 11 of 19
911gt34life
Frequent Contributor

if i make Make a Gift of 25 dollar would this let me join ?

>
Message 12 of 19
redshift1
Valued Member

@911gt34life wrote:

if i make Make a Gift of 25 dollar would this let me join ?

Go to Penfed website and follow the how to join steps, cost was about $20-25 including a donation and $5 to open an account.

Did everything on line including downloading the docs printing and emailing scanned application. 

I have 750 + on all scores but i've seen 680 approved and 780 declined from others. 

Message 13 of 19
user5387
Valued Contributor

There are a variety of ways of joining.  In my case, I made a donation to the American Red Cross.

Penfed does a hard EQ pull for membership, and also hard EQ pulls for checking and CCs.  I believe these pulls can be folded into one if done close together.

Having good enough credit to join is not the same as being qualified for a loan product.  Penfed is very conservative about the latter.

Message 14 of 19
redshift1
Valued Member

@user5387 wrote:

There are a variety of ways of joining.  In my case, I made a donation to the American Red Cross.

Penfed does a hard EQ pull for membership, and also hard EQ pulls for checking and CCs.  I believe these pulls can be folded into one if done close together.

Having good enough credit to join is not the same as being qualified for a loan product.  Penfed is very conservative about the latter.

Yes, I was charged one hard pull for the Penfed application which is good for at least 30 days and covers any subsequent applications within that period. 

Message 15 of 19
911gt34life
Frequent Contributor

How do i make the donation to red cross? I can only do national military families because not in military.
>
Message 16 of 19
user5387
Valued Contributor

@911gt34life wrote:
How do i make the donation to red cross? I can only do national military families because not in military.

The American Red Cross is still listed on the Penfed application page, but you might wish to double check with Penfed first.  They specifically told me this would work when I joined in the summer of 2012.

I made the donation online, saved the receipt, and then joined Penfed, indicating "I belong to the following association or organization".

A hard EQ pull is done while joining.

Message 17 of 19
Involver
Valued Contributor

Currently in the midst of joining various CUs for various purposes, joined yesterday.  Quick and easy, $15 to join with a $5 initial deposit. 

Can anyone confirm they will use the same HP for any credit or loan products within 30 days of account opening?

Message 18 of 19
Andy77
Valued Contributor

I have a bk from 2009, about 6 inq and 1 % utilization.  They gave me an Amex Travel rewards card with 5k limit and 500.oo thrifty loan and 25k car loan at 1.99 APR

My credit is not perfect..but I know they use EQ Beacon and my beacon was 721 when I applied with them whereas my regular EQ score with myfico was like 690.

So, I had a great experience with them despite my BIG dings in 2009..ie BK

You should try them

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.