Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About apping for Marriott Rewards Card

tag
dxz7
Established Member

About apping for Marriott Rewards Card

Hi all! So I am going on my vacation in two weeks and I am a member of marriott, and nowadays when I'm looking at marriott hotels for my vacation, the ad keeps on coming up on my page with either 60000 bonus points after $1000 of spending or 50000 bonus points with $100 statement which makes me itchy to apply since I am going to spend around 1000 on hotel stays for a week anyways. But the thing is I just opened up two accounts back in july, one was the CSP one was the bofa cash rewards privileges and was denied a week after when I tried to open the Chase Hyatt card due to short history with Chase and too many inquiries. So now it is almost october, if I do apply for the Marriott card now, will my chances of getting approved be high? Thanks!

I have no baddies, AAOA is about one year and 9 months, pays everything in full except taking the advantage of the 0% APR for 12 months. credit score is 743 on myfico with 0 inquiries but 724 on credit karma with 7 inquires.

Bofa Privileges with Cash Rewards Visa Signature -11k / Chase Sapphire Preferred - 10k / Chase Freedom - 7k / Hyatt Visa - 5k
Bofa Travel Rewards Card Visa Signature - 7.5k / American Express True Earnings - 5k / Barclay Arrival WorldMaster card - 5k
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
red259
Super Contributor

Re: About apping for Marriott Rewards Card

@dxz7 wrote:

Hi all! So I am going on my vacation in two weeks and I am a member of marriott, and nowadays when I'm looking at marriott hotels for my vacation, the ad keeps on coming up on my page with either 60000 bonus points after $1000 of spending or 50000 bonus points with $100 statement which makes me itchy to apply since I am going to spend around 1000 on hotel stays for a week anyways. But the thing is I just opened up two accounts back in july, one was the CSP one was the bofa cash rewards privileges and was denied a week after when I tried to open the Chase Hyatt card due to short history with Chase and too many inquiries. So now it is almost october, if I do apply for the Marriott card now, will my chances of getting approved be high? Thanks!

I have no baddies, AAOA is about one year and 9 months, pays everything in full except taking the advantage of the 0% APR for 12 months. credit score is 743 on myfico with 0 inquiries but 724 on credit karma with 7 inquires.

Its a tough call. It depends on how much of a balance your carrying/overall util. I think the biggest problem will be the two new accounts. It has been three months and people with a thick file could pull it off, but I don't know in this case. Clearly you would be able to get the card after the new accounts are six months old. Since its a co-branded chase card the approval may be a bit easier and if you really wanted the card you may be able to recon it and move some of your credit line over if push came to shove. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 2 of 6
dxz7
Established Member

@red259 wrote:

@dxz7 wrote:

Its a tough call. It depends on how much of a balance your carrying/overall util. I think the biggest problem will be the two new accounts. It has been three months and people with a thick file could pull it off, but I don't know in this case. Clearly you would be able to get the card after the new accounts are six months old. Since its a co-branded chase card the approval may be a bit easier and if you really wanted the card you may be able to recon it and move some of your credit line over if push came to shove. 

Hi, thanks for replying! My until is about 14%. I just thought since I'm going to spend 1000 might as well use it now and get the bonus points. But the denial of the Hyatt card two months ago kind of brought down my hopes -__-

Bofa Privileges with Cash Rewards Visa Signature -11k / Chase Sapphire Preferred - 10k / Chase Freedom - 7k / Hyatt Visa - 5k
Bofa Travel Rewards Card Visa Signature - 7.5k / American Express True Earnings - 5k / Barclay Arrival WorldMaster card - 5k
Message 3 of 6
red259
Super Contributor

I think it may be an uphill battle, but you may be able to recon it. Your limits will probably not be as good as they would be in a few months though. 

;
Message 4 of 6
red259
Super Contributor

You have a legitimate reason to get the card. The only question is whether or not its worth the HP. It may be worth it given your current needs, but only you can make that determination. 

;
Message 5 of 6
dxz7
Established Member

@red259 wrote:

You have a legitimate reason to get the card. The only question is whether or not its worth the HP. It may be worth it given your current needs, but only you can make that determination. 

True, ehh maybe I'll just wait til December to get it, that'll be six month? Don't wanna waste another HP like what I did with the Hyatt card.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.