Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About the Cap One Rebuilder Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

About the Cap One Rebuilder Card

For anyone who doesn't know, if you've been approved for the Capital One Rebuilder Card (not secured, the one with a $100 SL) after a month or so of making on-time payments you may be approved for one of their other cards. My husband could not get credit ANYWHERE and Cap One gave him a chance with their rebuilder card. Some time after he made his first payment, I checked their pre-qual for him and he has offers for the Quicksilver One and the Platinum. (Ironically, I STILL CAN'T GET A PRE-QUAL FOR ME LOL) He said he'll just wait until this card gets an increase, though, and I support his decision to just work with the one card until he's comfortable with more, but for anyone else who could use the additional credit, check their pre-qual!

Data points: His FICO started in the very low 500s (lowest was actually 497)

He is an AU on 3 of my cards since September 2015 (still could not get credit anywhere even after being added as AU)

Cap One rebuilder not reporting yet, but will after 5 months as stated on their site

We have been cleaning up his credit while gardening this rebuilder, FICO is now at 595 after about two months!

A couple of collections remaining and several student loans past due

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: About the Cap One Rebuilder Card

i got the card as well but i thought that you couldnt have other cards of theirs if you have this?

Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

i got the card as well but i thought that you couldnt have other cards of theirs if you have this?

I know you cannot get the rebuilder card if you already have a card(s) with them, but I haven't heard of not being able to get other cards after getting the rebuilder. DH couldn't get a pre-approval for any of Capital One's cards until after he got their rebuilder and made the first payment. Now he gets the "Congratulations!" pre-approval message. I don't think Capital One would pre-approve him for another card after he's finally gotten his scores up and then not give him one. That's the purpose of rebuilding!

Message 3 of 15
OMW2_HighAcheiver
Established Contributor

Nope. Cannot have other cards with the rebuilder. I had one. Then was approved for QS1. They closed my rebuilder.

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@OMW2_HighAcheiver wrote:
Nope. Cannot have other cards with the rebuilder. I had one. Then was approved for QS1. They closed my rebuilder.

Ok so that's how it works. Well its worth them closing to get a higher limit and rewards. Think I will tell DH, he'll probably go for it. Thanks for the info!

Message 5 of 15
OMW2_HighAcheiver
Established Contributor

NP

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

ok thanks ya i wasnt sure im hoping to see prequal soon since my scores are up

Message 7 of 15
Shawndoe79
Established Contributor

was the rebuilder 3 hard pulls for a $100 limit??

Current Scores EQ 689| EX 688| TU 679
Comenity 57.5k| Navy Fed 52.5k| Capital One 32.3k| Synchrony 23k| BBVA Compass 5.5k| First Commerce 4k| Barclays 1.9k|
GARDENING UNTIL APPING....
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would prefer a person go to bank of America and get a secured card. The limit will grow huge with time and they also do Apr reductions. Note to mention copious bt offers. 

Message 9 of 15
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I would prefer a person go to bank of America and get a secured card. The limit will grow huge with time and they also do Apr reductions. Note to mention copious bt offers. 

At the point where OP and DH are, the Capital One rebuilder seems like a good card. It grows almost monthly as the cardholder pays, with no deposit if I understand correctly. The rebuilder would be closed but that would e because the cardholder got an unsecured Cap One card.

BofA might not even be an option in this situation.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.