Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About this marvel cc

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: About this marvel cc

@kdm31091 wrote:

Chase AARP gives you 3% on dining as well. Cash+ will do 5% but only on fast food. 2% on real restaurants. Otherwise, yes, your options are basically Discover/Freedom for the rotating 5%. Citi Costco will offer 3% dining but to me that only makes sense if you're going to shop there anyway (not just paying the fee for 3% on dining).

However, in general, I find these "3% on ___" cards can be kind of overrated if you already have a base 1.5% or 2% card. If you spend $10,000 a year on those 3% categories, it's an extra $100 over a 2% card. But you could easily get more than $100 by signing up for a card with a bonus. It's not always mutually exclusive -- AARP offers a $100 bonus for example -- but the Marvel card is just a $25 bonus. The point is that I think it's important not to get too caught up in "3% on ___" but worry more about what that means in dollars for your spending, and compare to other options where you may come out ahead for quite awhile.

Or $200 if you use the right link:

http://view.offers.aarp.org/?j=fec01d757762037f&m=fe8c157073600d7a7d&ls=fe6817707760077a7615&l=ff9c1...

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

Chase AARP gives you 3% on dining as well. Cash+ will do 5% but only on fast food. 2% on real restaurants. Otherwise, yes, your options are basically Discover/Freedom for the rotating 5%. Citi Costco will offer 3% dining but to me that only makes sense if you're going to shop there anyway (not just paying the fee for 3% on dining).

However, in general, I find these "3% on ___" cards can be kind of overrated if you already have a base 1.5% or 2% card. If you spend $10,000 a year on those 3% categories, it's an extra $100 over a 2% card. But you could easily get more than $100 by signing up for a card with a bonus. It's not always mutually exclusive -- AARP offers a $100 bonus for example -- but the Marvel card is just a $25 bonus. The point is that I think it's important not to get too caught up in "3% on ___" but worry more about what that means in dollars for your spending, and compare to other options where you may come out ahead for quite awhile.

Yeah but in your scenario that would be an extra $100 every year, whereas the bonus is a one-time thing. I've heard the argument that there is not much difference between 3% and 2% or 1.5%, but there is a difference, and every little bit adds up.

Message 12 of 13
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Man-Of-Steel wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

kdm, you've been making this point a lot recently and I agree with you.  I'm in a similar boat as the OP.  I've been trying to justify the need for the new Marvel card with Spider-Man (or Iron Man) on it, but so far, I'm having a difficult time doing so.  I ran the numbers and was surprised at how little I spend on dining on average per month.  In addition to this, if Discover continues to run a dining/entertainment quarter each year, that would render this new card nearly useless (for me) for 3 months out of the year (another excellent point that kdm mentioned in another thread earlier today).  From what I can see, the OP has the Discover it and the Chase Freedom.  Therefore, the OP might have dining covered at 5% for half the year if Discover and Chase continue to run dining quarters that don't overlap with each other.

That's a good suggestion you made regarding the Capital One image card, but I suspect that copyright laws would prevent us from getting Spider-Man or some other superhero added to our Capital One cards.

Excellent point about Discover/Freedom covering dining much of the year. Of course, the 5% categories can change but they usually include dining so that would render a Marvel card useless an entire half of the year.

I get that every little bit adds up as some say, and it's true, but it's just a question of whether it adds up to anything that one feels is substantial. It's up to the individual to decide.

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.