cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About to Close My Shark Cards, But first...

tag
ForMyBiz
Frequent Contributor

About to Close My Shark Cards, But first...

So I finally have the main cards that I want/need with Discover IT being approved this AM and getting Chase Freedom back in September.  So I'm going to go ahead and close Credit One and Matrix since they are uber shark cards with fees and horrendous terms.  My only question is, since I was just approved for Discover IT, is there any reason why I should wait for this tradeline to be added before closing the shark cards?

UTIL wise, they won't make much difference since my only balance reporting is $170/2000 on my Cap1 Spark, so once the Discover tradeline is added my UTL will actually go down.  Current UTL is in my sig.

I'm not missing anything am I?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

Re: About to Close My Shark Cards, But first...

@ForMyBiz wrote:

So I finally have the main cards that I want/need with Discover IT being approved this AM and getting Chase Freedom back in September.  So I'm going to go ahead and close Credit One and Matrix since they are uber shark cards with fees and horrendous terms.  My only question is, since I was just approved for Discover IT, is there any reason why I should wait for this tradeline to be added before closing the shark cards?

UTIL wise, they won't make much difference since my only balance reporting is $170/2000 on my Cap1 Spark, so once the Discover tradeline is added my UTL will actually go down.  Current UTL is in my sig.

congrats on your Discover approval! and no, there is no reason to wait. If you are determined to close them (which i agree you should) then do it. Your utilization should not be affected much and those accounts will report in good standing for the next 10 years so it will not hurt your AAoA on that aspect.

gardening since 5/21/2016
Message 2 of 10
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

@dodgerslv wrote:

@ForMyBiz wrote:

congrats on your Discover approval! and no, there is no reason to wait. If you are determined to close them (which i agree you should) then do it. Your utilization should not be affected much and those accounts will report in good standing for the next 10 years so it will not hurt your AAoA on that aspect.

+1 

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 3 of 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

The only other thing to consider would be your AA of open accounts. You AA of all accounts will not be affected as they will report for the next 10 years.  I do advocate the closing of cards if they carry an AF as well. Congrats on the new card Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 10
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@gdale6 wrote:

The only other thing to consider would be your AA of open accounts. You AA of all accounts will not be affected as they will report for the next 10 years.  I do advocate the closing of cards if they carry an AF as well. Congrats on the new card Smiley Happy

AAOA is Average Age Of Accounts, not just opened accounts. 

Message 5 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@dodgerslv wrote:

@ForMyBiz wrote:

Is your Capital One Spark business CC reporting on your standard CRAs?  It technically shouldn't, since this won't factor into the utilization.  Regardless, yes a good move by all means to close the other 2 CCs.

Message 6 of 10
ForMyBiz
Frequent Contributor

Awesome, thanks for the responses.  Definitely going to go ahead and kill those cards now.  Glad to be rid of them, 2 less accounts to keep track of and $10/mo in fees gone. woohooo!

Message 7 of 10
ForMyBiz
Frequent Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@dodgerslv wrote:

@ForMyBiz wrote:

Is your Capital One Spark business CC reporting on your standard CRAs?  It technically shouldn't, since this won't factor into the utilization.  Regardless, yes a good move by all means to close the other 2 CCs.

Cap 1 Spark reports to personal reports, but under type of account it says Business.  

Message 8 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@ForMyBiz wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@dodgerslv wrote:

@ForMyBiz wrote:

Cap 1 Spark reports to personal reports, but under type of account it says Business.  

Gotcha.  In the past these TLs didn't report to personal CRAs.  Good to know!

Message 9 of 10
ForMyBiz
Frequent Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@ForMyBiz wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@dodgerslv wrote:

@ForMyBiz wrote:

Gotcha.  In the past these TLs didn't report to personal CRAs.  Good to know!

Yeh, it's good for me because of rebuilding & UTL, but I  use the INK more because it doesn't report to personal reports.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.