About to charge 15k on my Lowes 5.99%

tag
Tszone
Regular Contributor

Re: About to charge 15k on my Lowes 5.99%

@Anonymous wrote:

@Tszone wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@I agree with @Kenny.  That is a large amount and you may not get any AA, but you need other limits to cushion you a bit.  What is the summation of your all limits on your cards if you don't me asking?

Well I closed just over 5K this week but open around 50k this week. closed 1,750 X2 plus $900 and $1400 and open, cap1 20k and 5k, BBVA 10.5k, Citi 6.6k and 2.8k  total rewards. 

So 50k in available credit? If you don't don't use any of your cards and just carry the $15,000 balance, it means you are 30% utilization.  As lond as you pay more than the minimum every month, you should probably be fine.  But don't close any more cards no matter how small the limit is.

No I have over 100k in available credit, that is just what I open in last week.

Message 11 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Tszone wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Tszone wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@I agree with @Kenny.  That is a large amount and you may not get any AA, but you need other limits to cushion you a bit.  What is the summation of your all limits on your cards if you don't me asking?

Well I closed just over 5K this week but open around 50k this week. closed 1,750 X2 plus $900 and $1400 and open, cap1 20k and 5k, BBVA 10.5k, Citi 6.6k and 2.8k  total rewards. 

So 50k in available credit? If you don't don't use any of your cards and just carry the $15,000 balance, it means you are 30% utilization.  As lond as you pay more than the minimum every month, you should probably be fine.  But don't close any more cards no matter how small the limit is.

No I have over 100k in available credit, that is just what I open in last week.

Then you will be fine.  Don't close anything elseSmiley Tongue.. 

Message 12 of 23
Tszone
Regular Contributor

I only closed the cards becuase I had the max of 5 Cap1 cards and wanted the better cards they offer now. Tired of paying a monthly fee on a credit one account that had a zero balance and got charged monthy fee.

@taxi818 wrote:

@Kenny wrote:
I wouldn't close any more cards unless they are costing you money right now with such a large ticket that's going to be reported soon.

+1 too many dramatic things in a short period of time will spook them. just leave them open even with the AF. im sure the big project did not come up over night. you planned it. so plan on closing those cards after you got your remake on the house. and you will need for utilization because you are about to use a huge amount of change.

Message 13 of 23
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Last Spring (2014) I put $10,000 on my Lowes Card for a new roof using the 5.99 APR 84 month promotion, at the time my CL was $12k (it's now $17k), yes it dinged me a little as "high utility" but not much and since that time I've opened a bunch of new cards including a $20k BHO Diner's Club with no adverse push back from other lenders. Last Fall I was also carrying about $7500 on a 0% BT to Discover with a $10k CL which means two cards were up there in the 70%+ range - might have depressed my starting limits for a few new cards, but otherwise nothing ....

If anyone questions it, just tell them you took advantage of special 84 month financing for home repairs - no big deal, and in 4-6 months ask Lowes for $25k.

Note: Above comments assume there is nothing else rocking the boat in your credit profile such as collection, missed payments, bunch of maxed out cards, etc.

Message 14 of 23
Tszone
Regular Contributor

@pipeguy wrote:

Last Spring (2014) I put $10,000 on my Lowes Card for a new roof using the 5.99 APR 84 month promotion, at the time my CL was $12k (it's now $17k), yes it dinged me a little as "high utility" but not much and since that time I've opened a bunch of new cards including a $20k BHO Diner's Club with no adverse push back from other lenders. Last Fall I was also carrying about $7500 on a 0% BT to Discover with a $10k CL which means two cards were up there in the 70%+ range - might have depressed my starting limits for a few new cards, but otherwise nothing ....

If anyone questions it, just tell them you took advantage of special 84 month financing for home repairs - no big deal, and in 4-6 months ask Lowes for $25k.

Note: Above comments assume there is nothing else rocking the boat in your credit profile such as collection, missed payments, bunch of maxed out cards, etc.

Thanks this is what I was wanting to hear. 

Message 15 of 23
Bman70
Established Contributor

I don't see too much to be concerned with, if you don't plan on leaving it there the whole 84 months. Smiley Happy Lenders might spook a bit if they see minimum payments, but as someone said you have a good explanation. 

Note that even at 5.99%, that's $73.85 monthly just in interest. 

Are you military or veteran? Discounts may be available if so. 

EX 822
TU 834
EQ 820

Message 16 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bman70 wrote:

I don't see too much to be concerned with, if you don't plan on leaving it there the whole 84 months. Smiley Happy Lenders might spook a bit if they see minimum payments, but as someone said you have a good explanation. 

Note that even at 5.99%, that's $73.85 monthly just in interest. 

Are you military or veteran? Discounts may be available if so. 

Another very good point...  

Message 17 of 23
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Tszone wrote:

This 15k charge is on a card with 17k limit.

15K/17K is 88% which is very high and close to maxed.  How quickly can you get this down to 50%?  To 30% or less?

Message 18 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

As long as you're doing the responsible thing, I can't see where it will hurt besides your scores for a bit.  I got an RH card for the purpose of buying some chandeliers and had 99.9 UT on that card.  Still owe them about half but it was 12 months same as cash.  No one got spooked over it.  I just kept charging my others and pif all but 1 or 2 with small balances.  They're there to use if need be.  Now I put 15k across 4 cards.  Just started paying them a grand a piece.  Will take about 3 months to pay them off.  Will do the same again once they're paid.  Still buying furniture!.  Go ahead and buy what you need.  Smiley Wink

Message 19 of 23
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

As long as you're doing the responsible thing, I can't see where it will hurt besides your scores for a bit.  I got an RH card for the purpose of buying some chandeliers and had 99.9 UT on that card.  Still owe them about half but it was 12 months same as cash.  No one got spooked over it.  I just kept charging my others and pif all but 1 or 2 with small balances.  They're there to use if need be.  Now I put 15k across 4 cards.  Just started paying them a grand a piece.  Will take about 3 months to pay them off.  Will do the same again once they're paid.  Still buying furniture!.  Go ahead and buy what you need.  Smiley Wink

Exactly. That's what credit is for after all to allow you to purchase things for whatever reason. (So, I think as long as you're making an effort to get it paid as you're able, then the scores will be what the scores will be.) Every effort, of course, should be made to make the purchase have the biggest bang for your buck since you'll be financing at 6%. As we know from credit card rewards that can pile up faster than you're maybe aware of. Something to be aware of, but not to scare someone off from making the purchase they want to make. One just needs to be cautious with other aspects of their credit profile if they're going to make this card maxed. Don't want to spook any lenders and cause a cascading effect.

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.