Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About to do some major traveling, card suggestion HELP

tag
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Re: About to do some major traveling, card suggestion HELP

OP, just so you are prepared, you aren't going to be able to use a credit card at many places in Philippines.  Maybe if you just plan on shopping at places like Ayala, SM, or are going to be staying the whole time at a resort like Shangri-La you will be fine with just a travel card, but for stuff like island hopping, snorkling, the street shops and venders, beaches, jeepneys, busses, tricycles, etc you are going to need cash (Philippine Peso). 

For the stuff you do put on a credit card, there are many with no foreign transaction fees.  The cash-back type cards include Arrival, BoA Travel Rewards, or Quicksilver.  A great points card for transfer to airlines and hotels is the CSP.  There are also many credit unions that offer high limit cards with low APRs and no foreign transaction fees, but these are not the best if your goal is to earn rewards.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 11 of 32
Jaylima91
Established Contributor

CSP is a Visa Signature card which provides the best of both worlds. Chase benefits and Visa signature benefits. They provide great travel benefits. You should go to the Visa website to see some of the benefits for travel. I use my CSP for all of my traveling needs. I don't use it in foreign countries so I am not sure how good they are international but according to the majority of the members posting, it is very good for international use.
Message 12 of 32
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@Bman70 wrote:

@-NewGuy- wrote:

@Bman70 wrote:

@nachoslibres wrote:

I'd recommend the Chase Sapphire Preferred without knowing any of your spending habits.

Says the guy with the Arrival+ Smiley Wink

By the way, I'm looking at my preapprovals from Chase - none of the cards show any Visa or MC logo. Does CSP come in both?

I have the Arrival too. Shouldn't have gotten it. Doesn't work for me (although it does for some).

CSP is a VISA only.

What about it doesn't work? Travel card is the toughest selection for me so far, about to give up and just stick with cashback.

OP, what monthly spend do you estimate putting on the card? Do you stick with any particular airlines / hotels, or just whatever?

Arrival+ is good for the sign up bonus, that's about it.  You need to spend very heavily to justify keeping it past year 1.  I got it for that purpose and will close mine in November.  I find more value in UR or MR points.

Message 13 of 32
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Jaylima91 wrote:
CSP is a Visa Signature card which provides the best of both worlds. Chase benefits and Visa signature benefits. They provide great travel benefits. You should go to the Visa website to see some of the benefits for travel. I use my CSP for all of my traveling needs. I don't use it in foreign countries so I am not sure how good they are international but according to the majority of the members posting, it is very good for international use.

What Visa Sig benefits are you finding valuable?

Message 14 of 32
Jaylima91
Established Contributor

Quite a few good benefits with actually. https://usa.visa.com/visasignature/benefits.jsp
Message 15 of 32
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Jaylima91 wrote:
Quite a few good benefits with actually. https://usa.visa.com/visasignature/benefits.jsp

Right, I know what is there, just wondering which YOU find useful!  

Message 16 of 32
DrZoidberg
Established Contributor

Depending on what major travel is I would get a card for the airline you're flying and the hotel you're staying at. Or get the CSP or Arrival with the sign ups they both offer.

Message 17 of 32
Jaylima91
Established Contributor

Warranty Manager Service, Purchase Security, Travel and Emergency Assistance Services, No Pre-Set Spending Limit and many more...
Message 18 of 32
Bman70
Established Contributor

Mildly off topic, but my new Cash+ would be my ideal travel card, if the abusers hadn't gotten 5% airfare nerfed. Now I'm having to find an alternative. OK carry on Smiley Happy

EX 822
TU 834
EQ 820

Message 19 of 32
nachoslibres
Established Contributor

@Bman70 wrote:

@nachoslibres wrote:

I'd recommend the Chase Sapphire Preferred without knowing any of your spending habits.

Says the guy with the Arrival+ Smiley Wink

Yes, I have the Arrival+ and don't have the CSP.  If I had to do it all over again I would probably have gotten the CSP/Ink Cash combo instead of the Ink Bold I have now, but for my spending the Ink Bold beats the CSP one on one.

With that said, the Arrival+ does have it benefits.  -NewGuy- talked about how you can get great redemption with Hyatt GPs and you can do the same with Chase UR's, but the down side to those (at least for me) is that to get the really good redemption values you have to use travel partners.  So you are going to be stuck using United, Hyatt, Southwest, etc.

Not so with the Arrival+.  I put all the spending that I wouldn't have gotten bonused on my Chase cards.  So if I'm only earning 1 UR/$ on purchases I instead put those on my Arrival+.  Since I earn 2.22% back on all purchases on the Arrival+ I'm earning a better value than I would have if I put those purchases on my Chase cards (assuming I earn $0.02/UR).  Now, if I can get more than $0.0222/UR - which is easily doable, then yes, the Chase cards beat out the Arrival+ on redemption value on any purchases, but I also value the ability to redeem my Arrival+ "miles" against any travel.  I can use my Arrival+ miles to redeem against hotels I was able to book cheap on hotels.com, against Disney cruise, etc. - all of which I wouldn't have been able to do with Chase URs.

I find both the Arrival+ and the CSP are great cards and have their own benefits (and weaknesses).

Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.