Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About to get my first secured card?

tag
iMarcus
Contributor

About to get my first secured card?

Ok I'm going to put $300 on my USAA secured card. I'm only going to use it for gas and then pay it off each month I heard it's best to leave a balance so if I have to pay let's say $65 how much of it do I pay?? I'm new to how credit cards work and also how soon will I see an increase in my scores??
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: About to get my first secured card?

congrats on the first card. 

heres the best way to increase your scores.

have the balance report on the statement date be no more than 9% of your credit limit, so for you, $54, and then pay off all of it before the due date. if you spend more than $54 in a month, make a payment before the statement date, so you report less than 9% of your CL, then again pay in full before the due date.

hope that works and you see some score increases.

Message 2 of 7
iMarcus
Contributor

Thanks so much
Message 3 of 7
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@iMarcus wrote:
Ok I'm going to put $300 on my USAA secured card. I'm only going to use it for gas and then pay it off each month I heard it's best to leave a balance so if I have to pay let's say $65 how much of it do I pay?? I'm new to how credit cards work and also how soon will I see an increase in my scores??

Paying in Full is the most important thing to do.   It avoids interest and develops good payment history with USAA. 

Paying balances early to control utilization gives a temporary boost to your score, but has no long term effect.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Isn't 9% of $300.00, $27.00 not $54.00???? Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Isn't 9% of $300.00, $27.00 not $54.00???? Smiley Happy

That's what I was thinking too!

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

haha i swear it said 600 when i read the post?!!??

maybe the OP switched it or i just cant read lol.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.