Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About to pull the trigger, need some advice***

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

About to pull the trigger, need some advice***

My scores are about 730/740 across all boards.

no lates, no baddies, I have one car loan more than half way paid off and a low limit bofa credit card between 2 1/2 and 3 years in age.

I am looking to add a couple more cards.

Is it true, that if you are going to app to some credit cards, do them all at the same time?

I have good credit and decent income, about 40k yearly, but my file is a little thin, thus working on getting a couple more cards..

I am thinking about going for three credit cards.

Discover More, Capital One Platinum, and maybe a Best Buy store card or Chase? not to sure.. yet. any suggestions?

do I stand a chance with any of these cards? mainly the Dicover.. since i would be using it for everything, and paying in full each month, or close to it.

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Itsmeagain
Established Contributor

Re: About to pull the trigger, need some advice***

While I like my Discover account, if I were making the decision in this economic climate, I would choose credit unions.  Banks are just too volitle right now.  For every comment I see that says "I love my bank card", I see that many or more posts decrying the unconcionable treatment they are getting from banks.  Credit Unions will offer higher initial credit lines, charge less interest on credit products, pay higher interest on deposit accounts.

Some notable examples:

NFCU - only for military personnel and their families.  One of the best.  Great credit products.

Pen Fed - Easy to join.  Very conservative lender but once you're in they offer excellent credit products.

Alliant - Easy to join, high initial CL's, great interest on regular checking and savings.

Addison Avenue - Easy to join, high initial CL's.  Low interest.

USAA - limited membership to non-military.  High initial CLI's, low interest.

Starting Score: TU 737 EQ 721
Current Score: TU 741 EQ 741
Goal Score: TU 765 EQ 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 22
iluvdodgetrx
Valued Member

I have also heard MUCH better things about Credit Union cards! I do not know if applying all at once makes a difference or not though. I have a 720 score and got denied a CLI on a $500 Citi card I have had for 5 years with no lates and a 0 balance. A good deal with credit is just so hard to get right now. I would stick with the CU

Message 3 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bump for more opinions.

Message 4 of 22
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

I would pull that trigger once every 6 months.   Decide who you want the most and go one at a time in order.

Message 5 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

well on the information I gave, 730/740 score, 3 year file, (thin), no lates, or baddies..

Based on that Criteria, i am looking for a decent card to app for, mainly one with a decent rate and no yearly fee..

Since my file is so thin,  I am basicly looking for anyone who might give me a chance.

I was leaning towards either Dicover More card, or a local credit union, wich includes opening up a checking/saving account whith them as well.

Message 6 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well i called Discover today and got approved for a Discover More card but with only a 750.00 cl, but hey it's a start..

how are they with cli every 6 months?

Message 7 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

bumps.

Looking for a second suggestion, thinking maybe a store card? best buy? or perhaps capitol one? chase?

Message 8 of 22
crosbyk1
Frequent Contributor

Do you shop at Nordstrom?

Starting Score: 744
Current Score: 744
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

yeah some times, well my girl friend LOVES that place, lol, while i like bestbuy for my toys

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.