Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accepting low account limits?

tag
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Re: Accepting low account limits?

Citi doesn't allow completely rolling over the limit to another card. You can move some over, but you would still have to leave some of the limit on it
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 21 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wish somebody would bruise my ego with a $10K starting line.

Message 22 of 26
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I wish somebody would bruise my ego with a $10K starting line.

Congratulations CAPTOOL!   LongTimeLurker Bank is pleased to offer you our TRIPLE-SECURED Card with a starting limit of $11K!!!!  Our Triple Secured policy simply means that you deposit $33K with us and you then have access to your full $11K limit.   Then, buy things in the usual way with ANY card, check or cash, send us the receipt and we will reimburse you within 3 months.   Safe, convenient and secure!

Message 23 of 26
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I haven't ever taken that step to provide income verification. I suppose I could-- is there a semblance of the formula that is known to us regarding how income affects how credit lines are determined? I realize there are many factors. I'm not in a super rush to get this done, I just want to make sure I'm taking the correct steps which is why I posted this thread; I was concerned I would me taking a misstep by taking the new 10k card. Should I wait until I have a "big" year to offer income verification? And do you know if that's something I would have to continue to do periodically?

I would suggest it does not matter what others' experience is. You already clarified you are happy with the specific cards you have, so the next phase of your journey should not be to distract yourself with other apps, but to invest those HP toward your real goal, growing these specific cards.

This method probably works in your favor simply because having that focused short list of cards makes the lenders more confident you are serious about continuing to use the same few cards, so if they can keep your business with higher CL, they are likely to do that.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 24 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

>If I take this 10k to get the miles, will this "hurt" my credit score because my average account limit will be lowered because of it? Or does it not matter?

10k is not a low limit IMO.  But if you have been approved, whether you take it or not it will affect your profile.  If you close it, it will still report.

Agree.  Last time I checked, I didn't realize that $10K was a super low CL starting out (I guess for some maybe)?  Granted, everyone has different credit profiles but...  Must be an ego-driven thing Smiley Very Happy

+100

Message 25 of 26
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I hate to ask such a broad question, but, even being what I consider to be an intelligent person, I can't figure this out. I applied for a new card today because of a bonus offer. I was approved for a CL of 10k. I actually personally don't care what the limit is, I just wanted the miles. I don't "need" the credit. However, if I open this account, it will be my lowest limit bank issued non store credit card. I'm not particularly interested in having a bunch of credit cards with limits in this range, I'd ideally like to have 3 or 4 cards with very high limits, and I know that it takes time and good history and good credit to work up to those limits--
so my question is-- if I take this 10k to get the miles, will this "hurt" my credit score because my average account limit will be lowered because of it? Or does it not matter? I have read conflicting reports on this subject and I find it maddening that there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer. I have closed 3 low limit accounts within the last month; should I have just kept them open? Does it matter or does it not matter how much your limits are individually as opposed to the total? And lastly, someone told me that moving exposure between cards at the same bank was not allowed; is that actually true? My strategy had been to get this card, get the miles, and then close it moving the exposure to another card within the same bank; which is why I didn't care what my limit was. But if I'm going to be stuck with it, I just don't know what is best for my credit score overall. Thanks.

If you applied for the card, you likely got a HP. If you think you may use it and it has some benefits, keep it. You can always go for some CLIs at a later date. 

Note 1: The actual credit limits of your cards absolutely do not influence Fico scores - only UT% individually and in aggregate is a factor.

Note 2: Credit based insurance risk scores do factor in average CL of your cards (both TransUnion and LexisNexis do). These scores can affect property and auto insurance premiums. With TU an average CL of $9k or more is top tier for this factor. At LN top tier is around $10.2k.

http://www.fmins.com/PublicDocs/pdf/FI/Auto_Property_Reason_Codes.pdf

https://consumer-solutions.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2523

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.