Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accidentally Opted Out?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Accidentally Opted Out?

I think in years past that I may have been so disgusted with my past credit history that I may have opted out of the pre-approval offers. Do you guys know a way to opt back in?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Accidentally Opted Out?

You can try pre qualify checkers on the websites owned by the CC companies.
Message 2 of 7
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

You opt in the same way you opt out.  Hit the site and opt in and then wait as it take a while.

That said, don't rely on offers.

Message 3 of 7
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I echo what takeshi said. It's easy enough to opt back in.

However, you should app for cards you actually want, not the cards you were sent a mailer for. They are marketing, and while with some lenders they are a good indication you can be approved for the product, it doesn't mean it's the best product for you or the product you should want. Research cards, examine your wants and needs and go from there.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@takeshi74 wrote:

You opt in the same way you opt out.  Hit the site and opt in and then wait as it take a while.

That said, don't rely on offers.

Thank you both. I will try it.

I am not relying on offers. I am actually going to garden for about a year since I just opened a few new accounts. I just want to see what kind of offers I get so that I know what type of cards to apply for next year. I hope that I will recover from the recent 4 inquiries and new accounts enough to qualify for a prime card sometime in the next year or two.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

However, you should app for cards you actually want, not the cards you were sent a mailer for. They are marketing, and while with some lenders they are a good indication you can be approved for the product, it doesn't mean it's the best product for you or the product you should want. Research cards, examine your wants and needs and go from there.

Thank you for the info. I have always just gotten what I felt I could get, and not necessarily what I wanted. I should have applied for better cards when I started, instead of the starter cards and store cards. My TU Fico was 717 when I started, but I was so used to getting denied in years past that I didn't want to overshoot and waste a HP and just get denied. Now I have to work back up again. Lesson learned. And now I garden until I feel that I can qualify for a card that I actually want.

Have I mentioned that I love this forum?

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

Thank you for the info. I have always just gotten what I felt I could get, and not necessarily what I wanted. I should have applied for better cards when I started, instead of the starter cards and store cards. My TU Fico was 717 when I started, but I was so used to getting denied in years past that I didn't want to overshoot and waste a HP and just get denied. Now I have to work back up again. Lesson learned. And now I garden until I feel that I can qualify for a card that I actually want.

Have I mentioned that I love this forum?

I wouldn't use the mailers as indicative of the cards that you should be applying for. I get Credit One and First Premier at least once a week, and the only thought I give them is how close the shredder is. 

Instead, I'm going to echo kdm a bit and request that you research cards that would be a good fit for you. Make a list of cards that you want to target, along with why. There are websites out there that can give you credit score ranges for people who have been approved. Conversely, if you hang out in the approvals section, you can get a feel for what scores go with each card. 

Even if you are on the lower end of the approvals, I recommend applying if you think the card is a good fit. The worst thing that will happen is you get an HP and they say now. Potentially, you can still call, recon, and get the card, but even if you don't, this isn't the end of the world. Inqs lose most of their score ding over 6 months, all of it by a year, and fall off your report after two years. A few rejections isn't the end of the world. If the companies say no, you wait six months and try again. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.