New Contributor

Re: Account Error created CC balance! How to Save FICO Score

Uborrow-Upay wrote:

warthog1984 wrote:

I have a CC I paid down this month and was going to report $0 balance. Due to CU accounting, interest was tacked on at end of month instead of daily.

Hi, warthog1984!

Just to clarify something here.

Interest charges are always tacked on at the close of the statement period if you're carrying a balance that's not subject to a grace period.  The interest is accrued on a daily basis, but it doesn't post to your account until the statement cuts.

The point I'm trying to make is that this is not an error, or something that CUs alone do.  It's common practice, and you can expect this with any card.

It usually takes two billing cycles to get an account to report a zero balance once you've carried a balance you're paying interest on.  Unless, of course, you can figure out the interest charges in advance of payment, and then "push" an overpayment through your bank to the credit card company.

Hope this clarifies it a bit.  :smileyhappy:

@UBorrow-

The frustrating thing is that I figured I was in the clear since the LoC also with this CU has daily interest tacked on daily, where the CC has daily interest tacked on monthly. Yeah, in the future I'll have to manually estimate the Finance Charge & transfer extra from my savings ahead of time.

Frequent Contributor

Out of curiousity, has anyone ever overpaid and had a negative balance? I wonder how Fico scoring handles such (negative numbers). Does it give the same score as a $0 balance or does it interprete as a balance owed?

4/25/11 FICO: EQ 761....EX 770.....TU 744
3/6/2011 FICO: EQ 710... EX 718... TU 710
09/09 FICO: EQ: 525

StartinOver wrote:

Out of curiousity, has anyone ever overpaid and had a negative balance? I wonder how Fico scoring handles such (negative numbers). Does it give the same score as a $0 balance or does it interprete as a balance owed?

I've done it a few times with BoA and it always shows as a zero balance.

Moderator Emerita

marinevietvet wrote:

StartinOver wrote:

I've done it a few times with BoA and it always shows as a zero balance.

+1. I've inadvertantly overpaid most of my cards at one time or another. It always reports a zero balance.

-------------------------------------------

Friendly, Supportive & Respectful

Understanding Your FICO Score  |  Credit Scoring 101  |  Common Abbreviations  |  FTC: FCRA Links  |  FTC: FDCPA Links  |  Opt-Out  |  State Resources

"However gradual may be the growth of confidence, that of credit requires still more time to arrive at maturity” ~ Benjamin Disraeli

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.