Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account dispute - PLEASE GIVE ADVICE

tag
NinComPoop
Contributor

Account dispute - PLEASE GIVE ADVICE

I have a CO that is supposed to fall off my CR either this month, or in Jan, and a new CA picked up this account on my EX credit file. The CO has fallen off of my EQ and TU reports. When the CA was added to my TU and EQ, I was able to get the TU removed from disputing, but EQ validated for some reason. EQ is supposed to fall off in Jan now...

Since the CO hasn't fallen off my EX file yet, I did not bother to dispute this charge and will just wait for it to fall off by itself in Jan. I checked my CR and without any authorization from me my EX report now says that I'm disputing the CA. I have not initiated any dispute of this charge for EX, so I have no idea why this is coming up. Does anyone have any clue what the cause of this is, or have any suggestions on what I should do? 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Re: Account dispute - PLEASE GIVE ADVICE

Unless you have some compelling reason to do something else I would wait and see what happens. As long as they account hasn't been reaged it will disappear all on its own.
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you DV the CA?  The CA is required to report the account as "in dispute" if you have done so by DV or direct dispute to CA.

Message 3 of 9
NinComPoop
Contributor

Thank you for your response.

I have not had any contact with the CA except for a phone call from them. At the time of the call I told them to never contact me again at the number and if they want to communicate with me do it in writing only. Since then there has been no communication and that was probably in July.

When the CA added themselves to all 3 bureaus in Aug, the original CO fell off EQ and TU on Sept 1st. I disputed TU and got them removed, but when I disputed with EQ it came back as verified for some reason. I spoke with a CSR for EQ and was told that it will fall off in Jan.

Since EX hasn't removed the original CO yet, I haven't initiated any requests for dispute or DV of any sort for my EX report, but maybe a week ago I pulled my report and it shows up as I'm disputing the CA. Weird.

Message Edited by NinComPoop on 11-27-2009 01:00 PM
Message 4 of 9
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@NinComPoop wrote:

Thank you for your response.

I have not had any contact with the CA except for a phone call from them. At the time of the call I told them to never contact me again at the number and if they want to communicate with me do it in writing only. Since then there has been no communication and that was probably in July.

When the CA added themselves to all 3 bureaus in Aug, the original CO fell off EQ and TU on Sept 1st. I disputed TU and got them removed, but when I disputed with EQ it came back as verified for some reason. I spoke with a CSR for EQ and was told that it will fall off in Jan.

Since EX hasn't removed the original CO yet, I haven't initiated any requests for dispute or DV of any sort for my EX report, but maybe a week ago I pulled my report and it shows up as I'm disputing the CA. Weird.

Message Edited by NinComPoop on 11-27-2009 01:00 PM

I'm glad they've have left you alone so far but by law just telling a CA to stop contacting you over the phone is not enough.

FDCPA 805(c):

CEASING COMMUNICATION. If a consumer notifies a debt collector in writing that the consumer refuses to pay a debt or that the consumer wishes the debt collector to cease further communication with the consumer, the debt collector shall not communicate further with the consumer with respect to such debt, except—

(1) to advise the consumer that the debt collector’s further efforts are being terminated;

(2) to notify the consumer that the debt collector or creditor may invoke specified remedies which are ordinarily invoked by such debt collector or creditor; or

(3) where applicable, to notify the consumer that the debt collector or creditor intends to invoke a specified remedy.
If such notice from the consumer is made by mail, notification shall be complete upon receipt.

Also after the first contact by a debt collector:

FDCPA 809. Validation of debts

(a) Within five days after the initial communication with a consumer in connection with the collection of any debt, a debt collector shall, unless the following information is contained in the initial communication or the consumer has paid the debt, send the consumer a written notice containing—

(1) the amount of the debt;

(2) the name of the creditor to whom the debt is owed;

(3) a statement that unless the consumer, within thirty days after receipt of the notice, disputes the validity of the debt, or any portion thereof, the debt will be assumed to be valid by the debt collector;

(4) a statement that if the consumer notifies the debt collector in writing within the thirty-day period that the debt, or any portion thereof, is disputed, the debt collector will obtain verification of the debt or a copy of a judgment against the consumer and a copy of such verification or judgment will be mailed to the consumer by the debt collector; and

(5) a statement that, upon the consumer’s written request within the thirty-day period, the debt collector will provide the consumer with the name and address of the original creditor, if different from the current creditor.

It sounds like they may be in violation of this.

Message Edited by marinevietvet on 11-27-2009 05:43 PM
Message 5 of 9
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

If the CA did not send you a dunning letter they are in violation of the FDCPA. If they continue to report the CA beyond 7.5 years from DOFD they are also in violation of the FDCPA. Just keep track of the DOFD and take action if anything related to the account continues to report beyond the 7.5 years. According to what you said previously that will be very soon.
Message 6 of 9
NinComPoop
Contributor

Thank you for your responses. I will just wait and see what happens. It's strange that it would just appear. It has been stressing me out and makes me think the CA is somehow saying I'm disputing the charge in some attempt to keep the info on my CR for a longer period of time because it's about to come off.
Message 7 of 9
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

NinComPoop wrote:
Thank you for your responses. I will just wait and see what happens. It's strange that it would just appear. It has been stressing me out and makes me think the CA is somehow saying I'm disputing the charge in some attempt to keep the info on my CR for a longer period of time because it's about to come off.

It doesn't really matter what they are doing or trying to do. 7.5 years after DOFD the CA must no longer report on your CBR. You will be able to have it removed then although you might have to submit some proof on the DOFD. Hopefully you keep copies of your old CBR's JIC you need that information.
Message 8 of 9
DI
Super Contributor

Keep good notes whenever you're contacted by the CA or creditor if they're still calling if you plan to sue.  My keeping good notes with JC Penny and the CA they hired prompted GE's attorney to give me a call.  He was ready to offer me a settlement.   I made $2300 off a $300 CL JC Penny card. 

The attorney told me it would be a month before I received the money.  I told him I needed my money within a week because I was leaving for Spring Break(student at the time).  I got the money the next day UPS.Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.