Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account numbers on Amex upgrade

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Account numbers on Amex upgrade

This may have been covered before but does your account number stay the same when you upgrade from Amex's gold to their PR gold?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
jaysdad2k
Frequent Contributor

Re: Account numbers on Amex upgrade

Yes it does.

When I went from Gold to Platinum then back to Preferred Rewards Gold, the number stayed the same.

"Knowledge is of no value unless you put it into practice."- Anton Chekhov
4/11 TU 743 4/11 EQ 763
Message 2 of 10
JRomulus
Regular Contributor

That's interesting, going from Gold to Platinum and back to Gold.

Can I ask why you did that?

Were there any negative ramifications, i.e., point loss, extra AF, etc?

I got the PR Gold card and really like it.  Between personal and business have put $18K through it in 3 months.

Have thought about upgrading to Platinum and not buying an AA Admiral's Club membership for $350 next year.

But doesn't the PR Gold get you more points for gas and flights that the Platinum? 

Thanks.

Message 3 of 10
tsquad131
Frequent Contributor

the platinum has more perks and the membership rewards program is in a higher tier on its own. thats why you pay a higher annual fee

amazon
Message 4 of 10
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@JRomulus wrote:

That's interesting, going from Gold to Platinum and back to Gold.

Can I ask why you did that?

Were there any negative ramifications, i.e., point loss, extra AF, etc?

I got the PR Gold card and really like it.  Between personal and business have put $18K through it in 3 months.

Have thought about upgrading to Platinum and not buying an AA Admiral's Club membership for $350 next year.

But doesn't the PR Gold get you more points for gas and flights that the Platinum? 

Thanks.

Yes, the PR Gold has a better point earning system, you get the 3x points on airfaire, and 2x on gas and groceries.  I believe the only place where the Platinum out-earns the PR Gold card is in the Amex shopping portal.  It generally gets 4x points instead of 3x points.  Also, if you redeem your MR points directly for travel, i.e., use the points to pay for travel via Amex's travel site (as opposed to transferring points to a frequent flier program) the MR First points through platinum are worth 1.25 cents per point, where regular MR points are only worth 1 cent per point. 

I also have the PR Gold card and have thought alot about whether upgrading to Platinum would be worth it.  It really depends on how much you travel.  The key perk to the Platinum card is the lounge access.  If you only fly a couple times a year, you'd be better off just buying day passes.  This year, I don't have a lot of work travel planned, so I am holding off.  I'm hoping the 50K bonus point offer for new platinum card holders will still be available when my AF comes due for my PR Gold card.  The way I look at it, once I am ready to pay the $175 for the card, if I can get the Platinum at that point, and avoid the $175, it is a difference of $275.  With the 50K bonus, it would be worth it for me to try out for a year (because I don't think I will earn more than 50K additional points on gas/groceries and airtravel with the PR Gold card).

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 10
JRomulus
Regular Contributor

@ Walt_K

That's what I thought about the points.  And on top of it, extra PR Gold cards are FREE. The Platinum and even the Green each charge for extra cards.

On your logic for a potential change:   that assumes that a PC from gold to platinum would get you the 50,000 points.  Aren't those types of incentives for "new cardmembers" only?

Message 6 of 10
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@JRomulus wrote:

@ Walt_K

That's what I thought about the points.  And on top of it, extra PR Gold cards are FREE. The Platinum and even the Green each charge for extra cards.

On your logic for a potential change:   that assumes that a PC from gold to platinum would get you the 50,000 points.  Aren't those types of incentives for "new cardmembers" only?

It would have to be a new app for the Platinum Card and then cancel the PR Gold.  Because the cards backdate, I wouldn't be concerned about adding the new tradeline.  I think (haven't checked this out yet) that you would need to apply for the Platinum Card before you cancelled the PR Gold so as not to forfeit your points, i.e.,  you need to have at least one MR earning card open to keep your MR account active. 

Regarding the extra cards, I thought I read somewhere that you can get additional Gold cards with a Platinum card at no fee (or at less of a fee than the $175).  While that wouldn't give the other person lounge access if they were traveling by themselves, that may not be an issue depending on your spouse's travel habits.  Perhaps someone else can chime in.  In any event, you can also potentially share the cost of the Platinum card with someone.  For the $175, you get up to three additional cards.  So if you have any friends that would be interested in carrying the card solely for the lounge access, you could add them as AUs if they gave you a portion of the AF.  You can set their spend limit at $1 so they can't run up charges.

Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)

Message 7 of 10
JRomulus
Regular Contributor

Re: Account numbers on Amex upgrade Platinum vs. Gold

Ha ha.  Great idea.

However (and I could be mistaken) I thought I read once on the frequent flyer forum that only the Primary platinum cardholder gets lounge access....

The big downer for Platinum airport lounge access this year, of course, is that Continental is not allowing Amex Platinum lounge access (after September 2011) because of their merger with United.  If that were still possible, I'd upgrade for sure.

Message 8 of 10
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re: Account numbers on Amex upgrade Platinum vs. Gold

@JRomulus wrote:

Ha ha.  Great idea.

However (and I could be mistaken) I thought I read once on the frequent flyer forum that only the Primary platinum cardholder gets lounge access....

The big downer for Platinum airport lounge access this year, of course, is that Continental is not allowing Amex Platinum lounge access (after September 2011) because of their merger with United.  If that were still possible, I'd upgrade for sure.

I'm fairly certain that is not the case (but I have no direct experience).  The priority pass select membership that was recently added as a benefit was rumored to only apply to the primary cardholder because the online registration link wouldn't work for AUs.  But it has been confirmed that AUs simply have to call in to register for the priority pass select membership.  Maybe that is what you recall reading.

As for Continental, if there is a USAir lounge in the same terminal, you would be able to access that because USAir doesn't require a ticket with your card to access their lounges.  I think you'd also be able to use the priority pass lounges via the priority pass select membership when flying Continental.  But again, I don't have the card so no direct experience. 

Message 9 of 10
jaysdad2k
Frequent Contributor

I tried out the Platinum for a year. I just didn't use the benefits enough to justify the AF of $450.

When it was up for renewal, I called in and they switched me to the PR Gold.

"Knowledge is of no value unless you put it into practice."- Anton Chekhov
4/11 TU 743 4/11 EQ 763
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.