Regular Contributor
gymbo731

Account to old for AU??

Just curious....

I was talking to my parents and they agreed to add me as an AU on one of their revolving accounts. I would like to be added to one of their oldest accounts so it will help my AAoA. However, this card they have was opened before I was even born!!! Is it even possible to do that? Wouldn't my oldest account then be older than me? How does that all work out with the credit report and score?

Do you think I should just find a card that is closer to when I was born, or even another option, find one that was open after I turned 18. Pleas help my decision.

Thanks.

Starting Score: 640
Current Score: 744
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Frequent Contributor
TangMeister

Re: Account to old for AU??

gymbo731 wrote:

Just curious....

I was talking to my parents and they agreed to add me as an AU on one of their revolving accounts. I would like to be added to one of their oldest accounts so it will help my AAoA. However, this card they have was opened before I was even born!!! Is it even possible to do that? Wouldn't my oldest account then be older than me? How does that all work out with the credit report and score?

Do you think I should just find a card that is closer to when I was born, or even another option, find one that was open after I turned 18. Pleas help my decision.

Thanks.

Yes, of course it's possible and you're definitely not the first to do this.  Go for it.  :smileyhappy:  There will be a notation on your credit report's "notices" section that basically says:  "The Social Security number that you gave us when you contacted us shows that credit was established before the number was issued."  That's about it. 

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}