cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accounts that had "passed due" on them that are more than 7 years old still showing up!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Accounts that had "passed due" on them that are more than 7 years old still showing up!

This is my first en devour in trying to clean up my score, so please excuse my ignorance. My scores from all three reporting agencies are between 644 and 665, and some are still reporting that I have a balance on my credit cards, which I paid all off last month, so I'm assuming the credit card companies have not yet reported my paid off balance. Anyways back to my question. Experian is showing I have passed due accounts from 1999, it is to my understanding that these are suppose to fall off my credit history after 7 years, why are they still being reported? Is the fix as easily as letting Experian know that it has been over 7 years since these accounts were passed due and that they have been settled? I'm thinking that after the other credit cards report my zero balance and I get these three late payment accounts off my credit report, I should have a decent score, am I wrong to assume that? Any help on this issue is greatly appreciated, thanks everyone
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re:

Okay if the cards were closed in good standing they will remain on the report for 10 years. Were the past dues over 7 years ago? It usually comes of in 7.5. Does experian have the account listed as a negative? If so does it show the date it is due to go to positive staus?

Message Edited by Brammy on 11-01-2007 10:30 PM
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Re:

Thanks for the reply. Something isn't right here. It was a discount tire account that I was late on a payment on, that was back in 1999. The most recent activity shows Feb of 2005, how can that be when that account was closed no later than 2000! I know that account was closed because I paid it in full and told them to close my account, so how is last activity just 2 years ago! Oh man, this is the reason why I never looked forward to reviewing my Credit Score! Now, if I was to dispute this, it won't make the account active again and the seven year roll off date start over again, will it? Experian is the only one showing these negatives, the other two have no negatives on them, except for my previous high revolving balance, which was all paid to zero last month.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nah you can't start the clock over.  I would disoute the late info as past the reporting date and leave it.  Its not reporting as late in 05 is it?  If they remove the lates you will have a solid trade line for the next ten years after 05 as long as you don't dispute the date.  I would start there first.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nope, it's not reporting passed due or late payment since 05.

Under experian report it says:

Balance: Not On Record
Current Status: OK/was past due
Passed Due Amount: Not On Record

Again forgive my ignorance and my newbness, but what do you mean by dissolute the late info and how do I go about doing that?

Message Edited by kcman on 11-01-2007 08:03 PM
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

kcman wrote:
Nope, it's not reporting passed due or late payment since 05.

Under experian report it says:

Balance: Not On Record
Current Status: OK/was past due
Passed Due Amount: Not On Record

Again forgive my ignorance and my newbness, but what do you mean by dissolute the late info and how do I go about doing that?

Message Edited by kcman on 11-01-2007 08:03 PM

Yep you're new can't read my attempts at typing without my glassesSmiley Very Happy  What I mean by dispute the late info is that if the late payments were over 7 years ago, they should be gone.  How late were you?  You can save yourself a headache if they are that old because between you, me and the fence post, at that age they are no longer hurting you.  Disputing it can have the account removed from your file which can hurt your average age of credit therefore totally backfiring on you.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

HAHA Gotcha. I'll take your advice and leave them be. Considering my last month payments have yet to be reported, I'm hoping my score will still rise. I gotta tell you, it feels good to have no credit card debt! Now all I gotta do is research on which ones to close and which ones to keep open. I appreciate your time and advice.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.